Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 05:23 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary737 View Post
I don't mean to get off subject, but you say they recommend wood or plastic. What about those pads I see at Home Depot for garage floors that appear to be made from recycled tires? They do have small holes in them though, if that matters?
Not off topic. Just on a rabbit trail. The important thing is to store your rig with the tires off the cement. In the seminar I was in I learned that there is something about the chemistry of the cement that reacts with the tire and draws the oils out of it. The goal is to keep the rubber insulated from the cement. Cardboard will even work. If the floor is panted that counts as isolation. If we are going to put big bucks into our tires I guess proper care of them is an appropriate topic of conversation too.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #42
Winnebago Watcher

Well, do you feel lucky? Stay with what you have and let us know when they blow for research purposes. Also, we would like to know what damages were sustained, lawsuits pending, people hurt or killed. Let your next of kin know your doing this. No need to keep it a secret now.
zabooda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:18 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Not so old tire blowout

This happened to me about 4 years ago in OK. When it blew it sounded like a bomb went off. This was on my '05 Winnebago Vectra with independent front suspension. I was doing around 50+ decelerating off a long rumble strip at the end of the Indian turnpike. Actually, the coach handled well under the circumstances. After I got across the bridge I was able to guide the rig to a safe stop on the shoulder. Scarred the gee-bees out of us.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2017, 07:20 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

We put white plastic cutting boards from WalMart under our tires. $9.97 each. If one breaks (sometimes we park on bigger rock surfaces), we just buy another.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:18 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
We put white plastic cutting boards from WalMart under our tires. $9.97 each. If one breaks (sometimes we park on bigger rock surfaces), we just buy another.
As I understand tire protection from the seminar, cement is the only direct contact threat to the rubber and this is only when parked for an extended period of time. Anything placed under the tire MUST (as stressed by the instructor) be at least the width of the tread and under the full width of the tire.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-04-2017, 12:45 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

So from what I read here the threat is primarily from cement for long periods of time. So it then sounds like crushed rock, asphalt, dirt, grass, sand, etc may not a problem?
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:49 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Get a strong flashlight, hit the side walls both inside and outside of the tire at an angle with the light to see if there are any micro cracks. Then use the flash light on the tread. Look in between the treads for micro cracks. When you see them, replace tires. I have found that they tend to happen suddenly say within a couple of months. Most tires last about 10 years or so. I have also found that a lot of folks tend to ignore tire pressure and only check it when servicing the coach. Be sure to at least use your coach manufacturer recommended tire pressures.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:08 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
This happened to me about 4 years ago in OK. When it blew it sounded like a bomb went off. This was on my '05 Winnebago Vectra with independent front suspension. I was doing around 50+ decelerating off a long rumble strip at the end of the Indian turnpike. Actually, the coach handled well under the circumstances. After I got across the bridge I was able to guide the rig to a safe stop on the shoulder. Scarred the gee-bees out of us.
Your TPMS didn't show any problems?
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:17 AM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
Get a strong flashlight, hit the side walls both inside and outside of the tire at an angle with the light to see if there are any micro cracks. Then use the flash light on the tread. Look in between the treads for micro cracks. When you see them, replace tires. I have found that they tend to happen suddenly say within a couple of months. Most tires last about 10 years or so. I have also found that a lot of folks tend to ignore tire pressure and only check it when servicing the coach. Be sure to at least use your coach manufacturer recommended tire pressures.
That's why I asked if anyone has had a tire blow when they have a TPMS system installed. I suspect that most tires blow because of low tire pressure. You so often seen vehicles sitting in parking lots with a nearly flat tire. I quite often leave a note on the windshield for the driver when I see that.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
I had a tire blow last year , inside right rear . I knew they were old , 7 years actually , but they were in great condition , no visible cracks , good tread , always checked pressure .
Just to satisfy my curiosity, what air pressure were you running? By the federal tire placard or by a weight/pressure chart?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Your TPMS didn't show any problems?
Didn't have one on that coach. Have the TST 507 on this coach. I am having sensor problems and have not found it consistently reliable. When it works it is great.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #52
Winnebago Master

Quote:
So from what I read here the threat is primarily from cement for long periods of time. So it then sounds like crushed rock, asphalt, dirt, grass, sand, etc may not a problem?
That is correct.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Google storing RV/tires. Asphalt is not good for tires either. Moisture (grass), heat absorbing surfaces also are mentioned.

Put a barrier down.

See your manufacture's website for the best information.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:31 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

I had 10+ yr old tires on my journey. Drove from Chicago to Daytona last January and had very bad handling. Took it to a guy in Elgin Il that specializes in rv/bus handling problems. He said the tires were so hard and dangerous he removed the valve stems and released pressure before he even removed them from the coach. Very stupid driving like that and the handling improvements, while hard to isolate to just tires since he also installed day bars, MCUS, and socks, we're remarkable. I would get them inspected by a pro every year after 5yrs.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
That is correct.
Thanks for the good information. Very much appreciated!
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 11:40 PM   #56
Winnebago Owner

So basically nobody has had a tire blow when they have a TPMS system installed? Does that mean that the majority of tires fail because of low tire pressure? Just curious. Remember the Ford Broncos with the tires blowing way back when. TPMS systems came out real quick after that. JMHO.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #57
Winnie-Wise

Hi Mike,
I have had all kinds of Motorhomes & different tires. I can tell you from experience, that the seven year issue is a myth. It is for general observation purposes only. If your tires are in good shape, have not been out in the weather and have been cared for properly, you should be in good shape for awhile. As others have told you, the mileage means nothing on MH tires. You need to look for weather-checking and sidewall cracking. I have driven on tires that have had zero care for as many as fifteen years with no problems. I would not recommend it but it shows that every situation is different.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #58
Winnebago Watcher

This is an interesting thread. The date on my Kumho tires is 08 but they look great, with absolutely no checking or cracking. The Kumhos are truck tires. Don't know if that makes any difference? My friend used to sell tires and keeps telling me that they are ok.

I only put on about 1,500 miles a year, have TPMS and watch it carefully, but I'm starting to think about new tires
Old 02-11-2017, 08:51 PM   #59
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

Long term on concrete or asphalt not good for rubber. If storing use wood or the plastic cutting board a good idea.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #60
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Hi Mike,
I have had all kinds of Motorhomes & different tires. I can tell you from experience, that the seven year issue is a myth. It is for general observation purposes only. If your tires are in good shape, have not been out in the weather and have been cared for properly, you should be in good shape for awhile. As others have told you, the mileage means nothing on MH tires. You need to look for weather-checking and sidewall cracking. I have driven on tires that have had zero care for as many as fifteen years with no problems. I would not recommend it but it shows that every situation is different.
Part of what you are saying is correct and part of it is quite incorrect.

I work in the tire industry. Not as a tire dealer but as a supplier to all of the major tire companies. I work with them on sourcing the materials they use for the rubber compounds. I work with tire engineers from all of the major tire companies so I can tell you without a doubt that the 7 year rule is very real no matter how your tires are cared for.

Side wall cracking is only one sign of a tires aging issues. There are chemicals that are used in the construction of the tire between ply's and in the bead area that begin to break down after 7 years.

Those issues happen and cannot be seen by visual inspection.

There is no exact timing on tire failure that is why you may see a tire that last 12 years and the see one blow out right at the 7 year mark.

Everyone has to make there own decision on how long to run their tires but don't make the mistake of informing everyone that your experience will be theirs and I can already tell you that my experience was quite different from yours even though I cared for my tires as good as anyone could.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires