Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

98 Adventurer not starting after storage

This first happened 4 years ago after four month storage the unit would not start, turned over good but would not run (460 Ford gas motor). Had motorhome towed 1.5 miles to mechanic who could not look at it for a couple days. He went out and it started so had to do nothing. This again happened a year later after the winter storage, same thing had it towed to the same mechanic. Then for two years I took the battery out thinking if it had a 100% charge it would help and it appeared too work for the following two storage seasons. Now in March 2017 I went to pull the motorhome out of winter storage and it is doing the same thing it turns over fine all electrical seems to work but it will not start. I have no starting issues with the coach for the rest of the season. Has anyone else had an issue like this.
hkumpula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you put fuel conditioner/stabilizer in it before you store, to minimize the fuel going bad?

Can you get the generator started, will it run?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:22 PM   #3

Generator runs fine and I did not put fuel stabilizer in
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Did you fill the tank prior to putting it in storage? If not then you may have water in the fuel and possibly.
I would run the generator for a while under load and then attempt to start the engine again and see what happens. It's possible you have a small leak in the fuel line some where and its leaking down over time of none use. Check all the fuel line fittings to see if there is any seepage.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkumpula View Post
Generator runs fine and I did not put fuel stabilizer in
Gas containing ethanol tends to "go bad" after a month or so. The family car doesnt typically face this being driven almost every day that you usually go through a full tank every 1-2 weeks.

It is VERY important to add a fuel stabilizer like sta-bil or Sea Foam as example brands. If your generator is gas, the carburator becomes varnished and you wind up paying for something else not being used. Im 90% sure that lack of fuel stabilizer is your problem.

Side note: Run generator at least once a month for 30-60 min under half load (after 5 min warmup with no load). This will help keep the carb from getting gummed up. The will have issues if you let them sit for long periods.....[emoji3]
Catalina240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #6

I don't think it is a fuel problem. It wouldn't have started later when the mechanic turned the key.

Not sure if Ford has this or not but i know on my 2001 Jeep, a device known as a crank sensor can cause this same symptom. There were times when the engine would turn over fine but it wouldn't start. Could wait a few seconds, try again, maybe a few times, and all of a sudden it would start and run fine. Everything would be hunky dory for awhile but then all of sudden, the problem would reappear. Finally researched and replaced to solve the problem.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:24 AM   #7
RV LIFE Support Team

I would put fuel stabilizer in no matter what. This ethanol causes so much problem. We normally fill up prior to going to storage, put in a qt of stabilizer and run the generator to the storage yard. Just a good habit to have.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:14 AM   #8

As indicated by Mudfrog, there is probably some sensor not letting it start.

Get to the engine and shake, tug and push every connector you can see. Corrosion may be building up over the storage period.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:27 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sounds like your fuel check valve is freezing up to me. The lines are long, so turn the key on for 10 to 15 seconds, then off for the same do perhaps 10 or 20 times to fully pressurize the fuel system. Then try to start the engine. do this process perhaps 10 times. It may however, be the fuel pressure regulator too. They get stuck when sitting for long periods of time. Hard to guess when it is intermittent like that.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #10

The tank was almost full (only 30 miles to storage) I did forget to put stabilizer in which I do on my boats etc. This is sure frustrating as I am the only camper out of 40 that did not drive away including two other adventurers. Thanks for all I will trouble shoot all the suggestions and if no success will have it towed again as I cannot leave it in the storage area for more than this week (the storage is indoors)The camper only has 40,000 miles and I take care of it. Thanks again for the input will report back
Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkumpula View Post
The tank was almost full (only 30 miles to storage) I did forget to put stabilizer in which I do on my boats etc. This is sure frustrating as I am the only camper out of 40 that did not drive away including two other adventurers. Thanks for all I will trouble shoot all the suggestions and if no success will have it towed again as I cannot leave it in the storage area for more than this week (the storage is indoors)The camper only has 40,000 miles and I take care of it. Thanks again for the input will report back
Doesn't make any diff when the tank is full, the check valve keeps the fuel pressure "up" in your fuel lines. Moho's have long fuel lines. When it sits for a while the fuel drains out of these lines back into the tank. Your symtoms sound exactly like the ones I was having. I thought I was going to have to pull the tank to replace the check valve, but they have come out with one and you can buy it on amazon. It is a one way fuel line valve that keeps the pressure "up" in your fuel line when you are not using the coach. It fits right into you fuel line as close to the tank as you can get it. That said, it also could be your Fuel Pressure Regulator. FPR. The symtoms for both of these units is exactly the same. Engine turns over, spark to plugs, but no start. Then after several attempts of turning key on and off and pressurizing the fuel lines it will start and run normally until you let it sit for a while. First I replaced the FPR and it didn't help, then I stuck the check valve in and walah!!! problem solved...
Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In the beginning it just seems to a little hard to start when it was cold. then progressed until it just wouldn't start with out me cycling the ignition many times to pressurize the fuel lines after sitting. Sounds like exactly the same thing.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
If when you turn on the key to power up the engine and nothing on the dash works, have the ignition cable checked. My 1998 Adv. would only turn the starter over but nothing else including dash info. It took 2 months to find the problem but it was the iginition
boydj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #14

Thanks all for the input, I will be heading to the storage building later this afternoon and will isolate the problem. I am almost sure it is fuel related after reading all the posts, so will plan on doing the switch on and off a number of times to hopefully pressurize the system. I also will start the generator and let it run just to keep the fuel moving in the tank and also plan to give the tank a couple whacks with a rubber hammer to help the pump get unstuck if that is the issue. Not sure I can get at the fuel rail without moving the doghouse (was going to see if it is accessible through right side fender well) I can unlatch and move the doghouse but it may take a little time as I have some wiring from my GPS and Exim running along side it. Everything on the dash is working and am sure the fuel inertia relay is not tripped and the fuel relay under the hood is working, but will check all again. The local truck mechanic wants $1,200 to install a new Ford fuel pump if that is the problem. I have no problem working on anything on that motor home but think changing the fuel pump might take a little more than a few days for me.

Tags
adventurer, storage, vent