Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

A&E Weather Pro Awning

Some times my patio awning won't move when the in/out switch is pushed. If I flip the in/out switch a time or two the awning will work. It seems to be taking more flips of the in/out switch as time goes by to get the awning to either extend or retract. Does this sound like a switch problem (the one at the entry door) or is the motor on the awning getting ready to crap out on me?

Thanks for any help. (Before I extend it sometime and then it won't retract)

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If you have an ohm meter you can unplug the wires from the switch and test for continuity. If this proves good, then check the motor.
paulrtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It sure sounds like the switch but mine also balks when my coach batteries are low. I wonder if spraying some contact cleaner into the switch would help.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You do have another option. In your compartment should be the control for the awning with another deploy switch on it. Then there is the remote (maybe you do not have the remote). Anyway from what to describe it very likely could be the switch failure.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Thanks for all the replys. I have already turned off the wind sensor in case it was causing problems but I never thought to use the switch in the compartment nor the remote (which I'm sure I have someplace). Hope the problem is in the switch, I'm sure that will be easier to remedy than the awning motor.

Wagonmaster2
Old 06-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi wagonmaster2,
Comparing the control box switch performance with the interior wall switch performance is a good way to determine the next step. FYI, if the remote controls the awning over the entry door, consider putting it in the toad glove box. This way one can leave the awning retracted when away from the coach. If when returning to the coach, there is inclement weather, use the remote to extend the awning that covers the door. This can be done from insider your toad.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good idea Gary, I was wondering why a person would ever need an awning remote.

Just checked the awning again using the control box in the storage compartment and located the remote and tried it. Everything works like it should except the switch at the entry door so that must be where the problem is. I've been having intermittent dead instrument panel gauges on the coach since it was new 6 years ago and Freightliner hasn't been able to find the problem (usually nowhere near a shop when they go dead but are working fine the next day before I can get to the shop) so shouldn't be surprised at any other electrical problems.

Really appreciate all the suggestions, I had just about got to the point where I was afraid to run the awning out here in the campground in Colorado. A long ways to home if it wouldn't retract.

Wagonmaster2
Old 06-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There are several threads about these. Here is just one http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/weath...ion-53893.html Ours does the same dance. We do have the remote and it is a neat toy but you certainly could get along without it. Ours will only retract a little at a time under certain conditions like it is wet, hot out or it is a Wednesday The cause as I understand it is that the motor is overheating and it has a safety feature that uses a thermal switch to shut it off and possibly the spring needs to have another couple of turns to make it tighter to prevent this.

Going out it seems to be better with gravity in its favor.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This isn't exactly on the subject, but both awning motors are tied through the ignition switch. One day my awnings wouldn't roll out and I discovered that I had left the ignition switch on "accessory" position to lower the HWH jacks. If the ignition switch is either in the "accessory" or "on" position the awning motors will not operate. It's a safety interlock so you cannot put the awnings out while going down the road.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem. To retract the awning I had to take the cover plate off the control box in the left bay next to the entry door. Inside the control box I found a red reset button that was not accessable from the out side of the box. I pushed it and the switches have worked ever since. I have left the philips head screw driver in the bay just incase it happens again.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Suddenly I can't extend/retract my A&E Awning unless connected to a 110v line. I'll have to look into the reset button in tha control box mentioned previously. Batteries are fully charged.

I always retract 1/3 and pause for a motor cool. 12v DC motors can get really hot under load.
PC-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Do you have the parking break set on? I found that things like slides, jacks and awnings will not work unless your break is set.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC-Bum View Post
I always retract 1/3 and pause for a motor cool. 12v DC motors can get really hot under load.
This seems to be a problem for a lot of the WeatherPro awnings and we should not have to deal with it. If the motor is getting hot enough to cause the awning to stop retracting either the motor is not big enough or it needs some kind of cooling like a fan.

Not working without 110 is another issue. Like Stevegd007 said I would check the parking brake and also make sure the ignition key is not on. After that unless it has a tremendous draw on power a decently charged battery system should work no problem.

Anyone know if the awnings typically work off the house or engine batteries?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

The parking brake was and is set. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Tried 12v again yesterday. 110 works champs. I agree the motor should have been a more robust design.

I'm thinking of working myself up to be brave enough to try and add a turn to the retracting spring.
PC-Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Even though the parking brake is set, there may be a connection to the control box that thinks it's not. See if there is a loose connection or broken wire. Also, as far as I know the only difference between plugged into 110 volts is that the converter is working. It may be a voltage drop problem. Measure the input voltage when unplugged and plugged. See if it's different.

The motor may be marginal enough that the slightly higher voltage is enough to make it work.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to JayLodge
Last year, noticed the wind sensor installation seemed to prevent the awning from fully retracting the arms; removed it; used the remote to "reprogram" turning off the wind sensor. Seemed to work fine. This spring; can't get the awning to open at all; just "twitches" when I hit the open switch. Put it in the shop this week.
Also noticed my door awning jerks as it's opening, as if it has low power (closes OK).
Wish I could get this settled once and for all.
JayLodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:53 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLodge View Post
Also noticed my door awning jerks as it's opening, as if it has low power (closes OK).
Our door awning does the same thing. I found that for some reason it hangs up on the left (facing the door from outside) side. I am tall enough so I can give it a gentle tug to get it going.