Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
A/c problems

I need help to figure out what is going on with my A/C system. I have a 2005 Journey with a basement A/C. When we get to our campground in the afternoon I turn on the A/C and within a few hours the temp in the coach drops to the set point of 75 and the A/C turns off. Then the coach slowly heats up but the a/c never turns on again. When I notice that it is warm in the coach, I go to the thermostat and turn the fan from auto to ON and after a minute I can hear the compressors turning on. I can either leave the fan on ON or auto and it runs fine until the temp drops to the set point where it turns off again. At night I must leave the fan in the ON postion to make sure that the compressors turn on. When we were in Oregon I had to turn the thermosstat to elec heat and the temp held just fine while the fan was in the auto postion. What is the problem here???? I am thinking of changing out the thermostat but that may not fix the problem.
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #2

Check electrical connections in/at the unit and at the thermostat. Mine would not run the 2nd compressor, Camping World technician found a corroded wire connection at the 2nd compressor, and one at the thermostat. Removal of the unit is required though to check those connections. I sure was glad my extended service contract paid the bill, it only cost me $50 deductible. Check the thermostat wiring first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

It sounds like it is freezing up. I remember several people having that problem but It had various resolutions. It seems to happen in moderate high humidity weather. Quick resolution may be to check your airfilter if it is clean. Try removing the air filter for a couple of hours for diagnostic purpose and see how that effects it. I also remember someone soldering in resistors to lower the temperature when the freeze sensors kick in.

By the way you do have the cheap blue filters installed right? It allows maximum airflow as recommended by RVP
Old 09-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #4

In the heat mode, the tstat fan switches are not in use, Indoor and outdoor fans always run in hi speed, controlled by pc board in basement unit.

I would start by disconnecting the tstat connector cables and applying some dielectric grease and reattaching.

The next time you notice the compressor not starting after coach warms up, try wiggling the cool selector switch to see if it starts.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
HARRY B - my air filter is clean, just put it in about a couple weeks ago and yes I use the cheap blue ones.
M&Aeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #6

I doubt the air filter is the problem. I use Filtrete high-efficiency filters (asthma) all the time, change at 90 days. I've never experienced a problem whatsoever.
Have someone check the refrigerant pressures, low will cause freezing-up. The unit must be pulled for that, while out, oil the fan-shaft bushings or replace with modern sealed bearings.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote