Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2011, 04:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

a few questions

Hi All,

My family has made our choice to purchase a 2012 View Profile.

I have a few questions that some one can help with information.

1) can one order a view with the options one wants?

2) Where would one look for a TV that runs on 12 volts so I can compare prices to determine which is more cost effective factory installed or doing the work my self.

Bob
N2RYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You can order with the options you want, but it will probably take a couple of months to get. Dealers can usually add the options you want. Probably not worth trying to do your own TV in the bedroom.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You probably could buy a 12V TV somewhere but I believe the TV's (at least in my Winnebago product) are 120 volt units with a converter (converts 12V DC to 120V AC). Regarding doing the work yourself versus having the factory do it I dunno if you save money. I dunno if you could order it without a TV anyway as the sticker will list the TV(s) as standard equipment, but my guess thats something a reputable RV dealer should be able to tell you.
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Google "12v tv". However, I would suspect that you won't save much by doing it your self versus having it done while they make it.
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Since the TV in the bedroom is optional I'd ask the dealer what occupies that space if you don't order it. I'd also ask if the area is wired for a television (power, antenna, cable, satellite, etc.) if one isn't ordered.

There's certainly going to be more cost involved than just the television if you have to remove or relocate whatever occupies the space. There's also the issue of how the unit is monted. Our televisions have a fancy mountng bracket that would be difficult to duplicate. If you have to wire the area and purchase some type of mount you're probably not going to save much money. Unless the option is more than double the cost of a new television I would let the factory install it.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the View doesn't come with an inverter (converts 12 vdc to 120 vac), hopefully it is available as an option. With an inverter the TV and a satellite box and other items like DVD players can be used when you aren't connected to shore power.
You can add one yourself as many of us have.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the RV. Had a 12V. TV once and didn't like it. Also used a lot of battery power.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We had a 12v Color TV for a few years. Worked with both 110/12V. Never used it with the converter/inverter in our MH. If we need to watch TV "dry camping" just flip on the inverter and watch TV...nice. Gave the 12V to by brother for his small trailer/wo a TV.
Oh by the way when I first got the 12v TV, years ago, is was like 3 times the cost of a regular 110 TV.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Well everyone,

We purchased a new 2012 view profile yesterday.

One question we have is there a adapter to run 20lbs propane grill tanks off the main propane tank?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2RYD View Post
Well everyone,

One question we have is there a adapter to run 20lbs propane grill tanks off the main propane tank?
Congrats on the new unit. we have a 2011 view and I had the same question. the dealer said that it would require cutting into the line and adding a "tee". I don't know if this would affect the warranty though. I had gotten a portable grill and use the small bottles of propane. works well for us. good travels and enjoy the new profile. it is a beautiful unit.
henryn, 2011 view, NC
henryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Couldn't you add the tee where the hose connects to the tank?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2RYD View Post
Well everyone,

There sure is and it doesn't require any lines to be cut.

There are two brands. One made by Marshal called Extend a Stay and another Stay a While made by the Mr Heater Corp.

The regulator is disconnected from the tank and the Tee is installed between the regulator and the tank.

There are different versions with slightly different names. The version I have is a Stay a While Deluxe and it has an connection for an external propane tank and a connection for a grill.

Some come with the hoses. That is the version you want because finding the grill hose was not easy when I was looking for it.

I got the Stay A While from Camping World but at the time they did not stock the grill hose and I had to get it direct from Mr. Heater.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Yet another question

I know you all are going to get sick of my question but here is another.

What type of storage cover should I get? I live in Rochester NY. Snow and cold for at least 4-5 months

Bob