Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a dual receiver on the 04 Adventurer. I don't know if this is that standard setup or not. What I am wondering is if it would be possible and advisable to do the following. I have the need for my toad 4-down. I also want to bring my dirt bike along sometimes. I can get one of those receiver carriers that allow the bike to mount transversely. The bike weighs about 250 lbs plus whatever the carrier is plus whatever my 2500lb toad and hitch adds.

Is this doable for me? I don't know what the hitch is rated for.
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2008, 02:44 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a dual receiver on the 04 Adventurer. I don't know if this is that standard setup or not. What I am wondering is if it would be possible and advisable to do the following. I have the need for my toad 4-down. I also want to bring my dirt bike along sometimes. I can get one of those receiver carriers that allow the bike to mount transversely. The bike weighs about 250 lbs plus whatever the carrier is plus whatever my 2500lb toad and hitch adds.

Is this doable for me? I don't know what the hitch is rated for.
Joe
Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Joe

Your hitch is most likely a Class III, rated to tow up to 5,000 lb with a max hitch weight of 500 lb. From the figures you gave, you should have no problem as far as tow capacity of the RV is concerned.

Assuming you tow your toad 4-down, the toad adds no real weight on the hitch apart from the weight of the tow bar. So, the weight of the motorcycle and carried by themselves are probably within the 500 lb hitch weight.

However, the problem I understand that comes from putting a carrier and motorcycle on the receiver is that your 250 lb is increased somewhat due to being suspended behind the rig, and that is multiplied some more as the motorcycle bounces as you drive. In addition to the hitch weight, you have to consider the rear axle weight where the 250 lb becomes somewhat more than 250 lb due to its location. I've not done it on my MH, but years ago did have some bumper hangers I used to haul a 90cc motorcycle on the rear of a Ford Falcon ...the effect on that vehicle was noticeable!!

Perhaps someone here has more experience doing that on a MH, and can give you the voice of "been there/done that" experience!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:26 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, AFChap. I was aware of the multiplier for having it extended beyond the receiver. The bike on the rack by itself doesn't cause any real issues. adding the toad is what I am unsure of. he total weight is well within my towing capability, but I am not sure if it is wise or not. I would really love to do it this way. Tried to talk my DW into getting a small pickup for a toad but that wasn't going to happen!
Joe
Old 03-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #5

Joe,

According to page ten of the brochure for your coach under the Leveling Jacks portion of the Automotive section the standard trailer hitch that comes with you coach has a 5,000 lb towing capacity and will support a tongue weight of 350 lbs on the Ford Chassis and 500 lbs on the Workhorse.

You can download your brochure at the following link if there is no longer one in your black bag.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/20...4-Adventurer-bro.pdf
Old 03-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
Joe,

According to page ten of the brochure for your coach under the Leveling Jacks portion of the Automotive section the standard trailer hitch that comes with you coach has a 5,000 lb towing capacity and will support a tongue weight of 350 lbs on the Ford Chassis and 500 lbs on the Workhorse.

You can download your brochure at the following link if there is no longer one in your black bag.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/20...4-Adventurer-bro.pdf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Neil, I looked that over twice and still didn't find it before posting. I must be getting old!
I know that 250lbs can become 500 lbs depending on how far out it is carried. It does sound as if I might be able to pull this off as I have a Workhorse chassis.

Joe