Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My Norcold fridge goes into Code"A" fault when the compressor engages in the A/C unit. The code A indicates NO AC To fridge. I confirmed this by metering the AC outlet in the fridge compartment. I check the panels for any tripped breakers and everything is normal. I reset the Fridge/Convertor breaker in the electrical panel and the AC to the fridge outlet is restored. It will run again until the A/C compressor comes on again. I do notice a relay clicking on the SMART MONITORING CARD in the AC breaker panel compartment before the fault occurs. The fridge works fine without the A/C on. Dealer visit is two weeks away.

Any Ideas?
RTZ6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My Norcold fridge goes into Code"A" fault when the compressor engages in the A/C unit. The code A indicates NO AC To fridge. I confirmed this by metering the AC outlet in the fridge compartment. I check the panels for any tripped breakers and everything is normal. I reset the Fridge/Convertor breaker in the electrical panel and the AC to the fridge outlet is restored. It will run again until the A/C compressor comes on again. I do notice a relay clicking on the SMART MONITORING CARD in the AC breaker panel compartment before the fault occurs. The fridge works fine without the A/C on. Dealer visit is two weeks away.

Any Ideas?
RTZ6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I do notice a relay clicking on the SMART MONITORING CARD in the AC breaker panel compartment before the fault occurs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What is a "Smart Monitoring Card"? I've never heard of that in a Winnie...
Have you smelled anything like hot wires or burnt insulation? If so, I'd suspect a possible loose wire connection, perhaps at the back of the breaker panel. Do you have the One Place electrical center? It should show amps being drawn when A/C is on and when you add any other loads, like the fridge. It also should "shed" loads accordingly when they exceed your shore power capability.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you have the EMS, it sounds like it is shedding loads. The EMS is the little panel in the OnePlace about eye-level that can read out the AC current. It has little lights to tell you what it has applied power to.

Tell us if this happens while you are are on 50 amp power or genny. If it only happens while you are on 20 or 30 amp power, it sounds like normal operation of the EMS.

While we have the coach here at the house, I only have about 25 amps of power available without a voltage sag. I set the EMS to the 20 amp option and let the EMS manage the loads. The fridge is in the "AU" position so it will switch to LP when the EMS denies it AC.

John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

When I read the first couple of sentences, I was thinking load shedding too. But why would resetting the breaker restore power to the frig outlet?

The frig doesn't consume much LP to stay nice and cold. Until it is established to be a normal operation, I would be inclined to unplug the frig from AC and just run it on LP until you see the dealer or find out why this is happening. There have been electrical problems with fridges in the past that have resulted in fires. Better to error on the side of safety unless you can satisfy yourself that it's normal EMS behavior.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Whoops! Just reread your post and noticed you metered a loss of power at the frig socket. So I guess it's nothing in the frig electronics and you can disregard my safety concerns. Still might be simpler to just run it on LP till the problem is fixed. Are you also losing power to the converter?
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

If he is on a 50 amp electric pedestal his OnePlace will not show amp loads. This only operates when on 15/20/30 amp electric pedestals.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote