Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
AC Freeze up

I have been in Florida enjoying our new 42E. Being from the northeast we like it cool when sleeping, well all the time really. During the day I will run the rear AC at 70, mid 71 and front 72. I will run the opposite at night. I close the vents to move the air to the quiet end of the coach. It has not been too warm so only the end unit runs. Well after 2-3 hrs running in the high 60's the air stops flowing, though the fan is on still. I am assuming that the exchanger has frozen up.

I found a posting on a 2013 Tour where there was no seal between the return air and out flow air, so return can suck in cooled air.

Has anyone else had issues with frozen AC units?

The dealer has to remove the rear AC anyway as there is a leak into the ducts when it rains hard, so I am going to have them check for the possibly missing separation seal.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #2

The reality is when you close vents you will nearly always freeze units up they barely have enough ducting from the factory. If it is too cold or too noisy turn it off or turn the temp up closing vents will always lead to problem especially with multiple A/C units.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
I have been in Florida enjoying our new 42E. Being from the northeast we like it cool when sleeping, well all the time really. During the day I will run the rear AC at 70, mid 71 and front 72. I will run the opposite at night. I close the vents to move the air to the quiet end of the coach. It has not been too warm so only the end unit runs. Well after 2-3 hrs running in the high 60's the air stops flowing, though the fan is on still. I am assuming that the exchanger has frozen up.

I found a posting on a 2013 Tour where there was no seal between the return air and out flow air, so return can suck in cooled air.

Has anyone else had issues with frozen AC units?

The dealer has to remove the rear AC anyway as there is a leak into the ducts when it rains hard, so I am going to have them check for the possibly missing separation seal.

Hi XBoater
I also love to sleep with it cool. I have found that if I set it at 69 or 70 all works fine. Now if it gets cooler outside and I set it lower I will sometimes freeze up. Just like the heat pump will only heat to a certain point the ac cool doesn't like to work well when it is too cool out. I have found that if I set stats to 70 and on high cool the fan runs even when the temp has been satisfied and I sleep better.
It was me that posted about my seals
Installed incorrectly. It couldn't hurt to check yours.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:41 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many have had problems with frozen A/C units, there are basically only a few causes.

First: EVERY time save one I have seen freeze up it was caused by low coolant, This indicates a need for professional help or a new A/C.. That one time I'm not sure about.

Many on the forums claim that running the fan/blower on LOW will cause or at least contribute to freezup, you talk about closing vents to direct the cold air to the "Quiet end" of the RV, makes me think you are doing this, closing vents, by the way, also contributes (PS it is quieter if you run the other A/C and route the cold air to the sleeping end).

Dirty intake filters can contribute,, anything that reduces air flow.

Another cause several have found: on my A/Cs and many others there is a probe stuck in the evaporator (cold) coils near the bottom.. Some folks have found it lying in the drip tray instead of stuck in the coils, it is a frost sensor designed to shut down the compressor if icing starts to happen.. If it's not there, it can not work.

And in some HIGH HUMIDITY cases.. there is no cure or so I am told, However, This, I do not believe.. But that's what they say.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, I also was told about sensor issue. The humidity has been low so that's not it. I always have more than half the vents open and only one unit runs so restricted airflow should not be an issue.

See what Lazydays thinks and does about it.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote