Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I looked in the search for this, but can't seem to find this particular scenario. I have the factory Magnadyne radio and have used the Sirius since new, I love it! My question is, can I buy a add-on car Sirius radio, and use my existing antenna and lead? I can then get a docking station so that I can remove the radio and utilize it in the house, or in another vehicle. I don't know if the antenna lead can be used that is plugged into the back of the dash radio, or if I have to remove the lead from the Magnadyne "converter"? Has anyone changed from the in-dash Sjirius radio to an add-on style?
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Pushrod,

Unless you buy another Magnadyne radio of the same model that is "Sirius Ready", the Magnadyne converter won't work. I tried a converter from Best Buy when I first tried to equip my Magnadyne and it didn't work. Magnadyne said that they use a propietary code on their radios. Thier converter and antenna was about $250.00 - a real rip off.

If I were you, I'd buy a radio for the house that you really want that is equipped for Sirius and get the antenna. The antennas aren't that expensive. Sirius told me that if you add another radio to your subscription, the add on price is 50% of a full subscription.

If you purchase a "Sirius ready" radio, the Sirius module from Radio Shack or Best Buy was only $100.00, and it came with the antenna. Check with the radio manufacturer or dealer where you purchase the radio to make sure that the converter is compatible.

That was my experience. Others may have something diffrent.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Pushrod, the first thing I did was get rid of the Magnadyne, junk radio!!

I went to best buy and got a real nice Alpine, $150.00, actually any radio/CD player will work with the AUX IN connection on the front. Easy to change out. Bought the Sirius docking station with receiver at Best Buy for $50.00.
Installed on front of dash within arms reach, be creative, run ant. up windshield channel, through overhead cabinet, throught the roof where the old CB ant. cable came through, used clear silicon to secure the ant. to the roof, and poof, Sat. radio for $200.00 plus service!!

I put another docking station in the car to use the Sirius radio when not in RV.

There are many ways to do it, your choice. Beats searching for channels during trips!!

Good Luck,
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I assume (dangerous, I know) that you are going to discontinue the Sirius contract on the factory radio and activate just the add-on Sirius. If so, then yes, disconnect the antenna lead from the converter box and use it on your add-on. The lead connected to the Magnedyne would be an AM/FM antenna.

While you're behind the dash, you might want to find +12V and Ground power leads so you don't have to tie up your dash lighter to power the add-on radio. I'd suggest getting a Sirius radio or docking station that can rebroadcast your Sirius output on an FM frequency. That relieves you making a hardwire connection to the Magnedyne. You just set the Sirius to broadcast on an FM freq that's not in use in your area and tune the Magnedyne to that freq. The beauty to that arrangement is that you can receive your Siruis broadcast on the outside entertainment center radio and also the bedroom radio. The downer is that eventually, in your travels, you'll find a strong commercial FM station on your frequency and will have to search for another unused freq.

On edit: I might add that I hardwired my add-on Sirius to the Magnedyne AUX input (in case there was local FM interference) and used the FM output for the other radios.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tom, that is what I want to do, my subscription is up on my factory unit, and I want the flexibilty of a "mobile" unit I can transfer from the RV to the toad, and also use at home. Is the Mag. converter box easy to get at? I was also thinking of adding some hardwired 12V to the docking unit, instead of going the cig. lighter/power outlet in the dash. I now have to start checking out radios, anything out there that compares to the Sirius units (with home and car docking )? And what do you know of Sirius financial woes, is it risky to go for a year contract? I have received a couple of phone calls already urging me to renew my contract.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I bought a Sirius Stiletto 100 for my wife to walk with and three vehicle adapter kits. I simply put the Sirius in whatever vehicle we're in. I paid $300 for a lifetime subscription.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sorry... I gave up ALL my knowledge in my first post...

I didn't have the converter box. I just added a Sirius standalone like you're planning. My knowledge of what's out there is years out of date.

My subscription has a few months to go before renewal, so I really haven't looked into their problems yet. I think I read that it might just be a ploy to dump some of their expensive "talent".
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I do not have your particular brand of radio, but I do have Sirius. I had professionally installed it in my F350, then sold the F350 and rather than pull out the install I left it with the truck and new owner. But, I did pull the Sirius receiver.

I had it professionally installed in my Saturn Vue with the vehicle kit and the installer mounted the antenna on the dash center. When I questioned him on this he replied he installed all Sirius radios in that manner. Hmmm!

So I bought another vehicle kit and installed it in the coach myself. I did use the FM Demodulator for the Sirius. It plugs into the back of the radio at the antenna input, However, the radio antenna plugs into it, sort of like a "Y". I run on 88.5 mhz and have not had to change the frequency yet, but it is not that hard of a setting to change. I also installed the antenna in the middle of the Coach dash. Reception so far has been good with a couple exceptions, if you don't want to drill a hole, or fish it down a hole. I like the ability to pull the receiver out of the MH and put it in the TOAD.

Now if I could just get the DW to listen to my type radio station!!
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I also stuck it on her side window - and let her manage what we listen to.

Darn! I just wanted to edit my last post - Oopps- can't.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I just picked up a used Sightseer. I drove from Dallas to Cleveland & used my XM receiver the whole way using the FM station feature. I just put the antenna on the dash and had very little trouble. I used the XM car kit from my last RV. It worked most of the time. Several big cities were a problem though. I couldn't find a clear channel. I would recommend a hard wire into your AUX or antenna. If you've got an older car stereo, the cassette adapter works well.
fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

After thought:
I believe the voltage to the Sirius tuner is 5v, so if you wire it direct, you must take that into account. It may depend on the specific tuner you have, but the Sportster 5 is 5.2 vold specification.

Have you made the transition yet?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Haven't made the transition yet. We're still cleaning and loading the coach with our stuff (just bought it). I'm wondering how hard it's going to be to get the radio out & do the install... might have it done professionally if it's a pain. Any thoughts?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure of your year and model, but typically they supplied two wire contraptions that you push into the holes along the side of the radio. That releases the spring hooks and you just slide the radio out. Is that the type of configuration you have?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Yes! After searching around a little, I see that a coat hanger can be fashioned into the tool required to release the clips. I also discovered that I probably have an AUX input that I can tap into to directly connect my SkyFi2 (like tomsm mentioned earlier). Hoping to be able to use the existing Sirius antenna as well. I hope it's not too hard to get behind the dash.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Keep us posted on how things turn out.

Also, the antenna that plugs into you OEM radio may have a special connector on it specifically for that radio. You may have to look for an adapter, or follow the lead to the antenna and see if there is a plug in extension that is going down to the OEM. The kits that come with the Sirius vehicle mount include the antenna, and in some instances the FM Modulator.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

So, I finally got back to this little project. I found a thread that describes how to pull the radio using bent coat hanger wire to release the radio from it's mount. Tried it- no joy. However, when fussing with it. I discovered the entire dashboard is on a hinge and lifts right up! This revelation give me access to everything, including the already-installed harnesses with RCA jacks for AUX1 and AUX2. With a 3.5mm-to-RCA jack connector, I think I'll be able to solve my problem (except for the antenna). While I'm under there, I'm going to tap into the 12V lighter wires as well and add a gang plug (fused) for my GPS, XM, cell phone charger, etc. I'll post more as I learn more...
-Tom