Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Adding water to Winnebago water tank from a portable source

Hi,

I could not find how to do this in the operator manual and when I called Winnebago they tech was not 100% sure if it will work.

If I set the fill valve to tank fill and winterize valve to winterize will it fill my fresh water tank if my water pump is running?

I would use the winterize tube?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Using the winterizing hose and valve will suck water from the short hose to the 12 volt pump to the water system in the rig.

So if you did have a large water tank you could hook it up to the winterizer hose and set the valve to winterize and leave the pump on you should maintain water pressure inside your rig.
You tank shouldn't fill at all.
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:09 PM   #3

It seems like you're asking if this method will fill your on board fresh water tank? I don't think it will. Your pump is after the tank and there are no hoses from your pump to the on board water tank.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As far as I can tell if you put the winterize hose in a tank it will pressurize the system as stated. But if you flip the fill valve to fill I think it wont even pressurize - the tank will not fill either.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
BTW I have never understood why WGO and others hook their fill line in the way they do. When filling the tank you cannot use the water system in the coach.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #6

This is how our water system works, yours may be different. When the valve at the hose connection is set to tank fill the water lines running through the coach are now connected to the line that dumps into the fresh water tank. Let's assume you have some water in the tank. The valve at the pump set to normal operation. Turn on the water pump and it will run continuously trying to pressurize the water system but it can't. It's sucking water from the tank but since the water system is connected to tank fill line it just pumps back into the top of the tank.

Now set the valve at the pump for winterizing. When you turn on the pump it will suck from the tube and pump into the tank. So if your system works like ours then the answer is yes. Beware, it will take forever to fill your tank using the pump but it can be done. Seems to take forever just to fill the 10 gal water heater using the pump.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:27 AM   #7

Thanks all,

With our old Damon I could either pour water in through the gravity fed fill port or use the winterization valve.

The reason I ask is our coach was imobilized and had to fill the tank up, I was able to hook up to a tap about 90 foot away, any longer and I would have been out of luck.

I cannot test it out as our coach is in the shop and I had this thread on my to do list.

Maybe I need to get a 12volt pump.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:09 AM   #8

Just did it the other day. Added 10 gallons to so I didn't have to break camp just for water. I carry a collapsible 5 gallon jug just for doing it, works great.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #9

Thats great Tim,

What did you set the valves too?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn Driver View Post
Hi,

I could not find how to do this in the operator manual and when I called Winnebago they tech was not 100% sure if it will work.

If I set the fill valve to tank fill and winterize valve to winterize will it fill my fresh water tank if my water pump is running?

I would use the winterize tube?

Thanks,
Yup; that's how I do it.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #11

Sounds good Allen, I will try at so when I get the coach back.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:24 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So it’s different than the original question but can anyone answer why Winnebago didn’t just take the fill line from the fill valve directly into the tank so that the pump would work normally when filling with water?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmaustin View Post
So it’s different than the original question but can anyone answer why Winnebago didn’t just take the fill line from the fill valve directly into the tank so that the pump would work normally when filling with water?
Can't answer that but I like it the way it is. Just sanitized our water system a few days ago. Used pump to suck water/bleach solution into the tank then hose to fill tank up. Beats trying to pour the bleach solution into the gravity feed which usually ends up with bleach water running down side of coach.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:02 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Can't answer that but I like it the way it is. Just sanitized our water system a few days ago. Used pump to suck water/bleach solution into the tank then hose to fill tank up. Beats trying to pour the bleach solution into the gravity feed which usually ends up with bleach water running down side of coach.
So I’ll ask a broader audience.

Tags
tank, water, winnebago