Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to craftsven
Adhesive for plastic fender

On the way South from Canada, we met an 18 wheeler,and something came off him and hit our front wheel house panel that broke in many pieces.
We ordered a new fender from the factory rep. We were told to get the adhesive locally, with no luck so far.
Any recommendation?
craftsven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

There is a clear duct tape sold at most RV stores that will get you by without being color loud
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think this is the type of product you're looking for.

39537 WELD-BOND ADHESIVE

It's used by body shops to adhere plastic panels to metal sub structures. I used it to secure the headlight brackets to the fiberglass fender panels.

It can be found at most body shop supply houses. It's not cheap at about $50.00. You can easily modify a $5.00 caulking gun to use it or buy a special dispenser for another $100.00.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Itasca Meridian 36G

Suggest you visit an auto body supply and ask for a product that adheres fiberglass to metal (or glass to glass or whatever the two surfaces are). They will have 3M or similar adhesives and application guns to do the job. You can also find this at a dealer but mark up is considerable.

Good luck.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsven View Post
On the way South from Canada, we met an 18 wheeler,and something came off him and hit our front wheel house panel that broke in many pieces.
We ordered a new fender from the factory rep. We were told to get the adhesive locally, with no luck so far.
Any recommendation?
If you can patch it from the back, use some Eterna bond. If you go on their web site it will give you the name of who supplies it in your area. Just look under Store Finder.

http://www.eternabond.com/
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

On my Adventurer, when I asked about getting a new fender (damaged by a blowout) I was told it came with the aluminum substructure.

Mine panel is help on with foam tape. I was able to removed the undamaged panel from my bent frame and straighten the frame out. I need to clean off the foam tape and put it back together with new tape still.

What is your motorhome?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Yes it's basically a hinged piece of fiberglass held down by industrial grade double face tape. Had my driver side pop free when a large truck passed. Winnie Factory now adds a small metal rod from the bottom front of the panel to the frame. Had that done to both sides as well as the tape replaced. The intention is to be able to lift the panel out of the way to get to the tires etc so don't use anything that can not be freed up.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote