Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

Advice on Aspect and Cambria, et al.

It has been a very long time since I made a post on this forum. 3 or 4 years. The reason for my absence from the forum was due to my wife's health and courageous battle with cancer for the past 2 1/2 years. Sadly, just over a week ago she passed away leaving a huge empty spot in my life. At the outset of her illness, we owned a 2004 Winnebago motorhome which we enjoyed very much. Almost all of my past posts were related to the ups and downs of that motorhome. Realizing that we had a steep mountain to climb and would not be making any more rv trips, we reluctantly sold the motorhome. In a few days things will have settled down for me a bit. Right now my only impulse is to put my labrador retriever in the back of my Toyota Highlander and hit the open road and just wander around aimlessly for awhile. However, there are problems with the dog, motels, leaving the dog alone for any period, etc. Thus, I am contemplating getting another smaller gas motorhome. For my purposes, it seems like a Winnebago Aspect or Itasca Cambria would fit the bill. I am not particularly in the market for a brand new coach (though I could afford it). I found a 2006 Aspect and a 2005 Cambia that might fit my needs size wise. The 2006 had a web site price of $44.500 and the Cambria listed at $49.999. Both dealers told me that those web prices are negotiable. I talked to both dealers and indicated that I wanted their best, rock bottom price, for a straight up cash deal. I am not inclined in the least to be negotiating endlessly. And, I want to be sure that I am not buying someone elses troubles. The Aspect had 15,100 miles which wasn't bad, the older Cambria has 30,000 miles on it. So, I need some help. What is the limit that I should spend on a motorhome in this class and in that year range. I know that a lot depends on condition, etc. Given that I might find a decent, well-kept motorhome, what advice can you offer. I want the unit to have leveling jacks (one did, the other I am not sure). And another important question has to do with what type of tow vehicle would be the best for either of these units. I appreciate advice on how I should proceed. I am aware that in my present emotional state, perhaps I should just wait. However, I have a need to move and keep moving for awhile at least. Much thanks to all for your help..
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just wanted to welcome you back and offer my deepest sympathies. i believe you gotta do what works for you and if keeping moving makes sense, then do it. I know others will be able to help you in your MH search. Take care, Kay
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #3

I'm sorry for your loss. I completely understand your frame of mind and if I were in the same position I would probably be doing exactly what you are doing. Everyone grieves differently and only you knows what is good for you,

I own a 2008 Aspect. They come in several different lengths from 24' to 30'. Mine is the 26A. I bought it last fall with 40,000 miles on it. It has every option from Winnebago except the jacks which I would have loved to have. If you are considering between 2 RVs, one with jacks and one without, I'd go with the one with jacks. There is little difference between the Aspect and the Cambria. I'd check NADA for their RV prices on the rig you are considering. Remember that a dealer paid well below what NADA lists as low retail. If my buying experience is any judge, they spend little to nothing before they sell an RV. If buying from a private party, remember that NADA only gives low and average RETAIL pricing and private parties are not retail. When pricing an RV just add or subtract for mileage and don't add for any options. Another method is to call your bank or credit union and ask what they would finance one for. Even if you are not financing, that will tell you what they consider the rig to be worth. Good luck and I hope you find your peace.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #4

I only had a few minutes this morning to answer you and I thought of a few other suggestions or points. The difference in mileage between the 2 is negligible. I'd rather have an RV that was exercised often than one that sat on a lot. Mine has 40K and it runs perfectly. Mine has 250 hours on the generator which shows it was exercised often. Low hours may be trouble especially when the mileage is low and the years are over ten. Onan recommends that you exercise the generator for 2 hours a month, if the RV is 10 years old, that equates to 240 hours.

Secondly I can't overemphasize how great I felt having my RV inspected by an independent 3rd party. It only cost me $250 for a complete house and chassis inspection complete with a written report. The place I selected had an RV lift so they could get under it and check out everything important. I am a pretty fair wrench myself having built several cars in frame off restorations but having experienced eyes checking out everything was priceless.

Service records are great to get but seldom found on dealer lots. If you don't have service records, I'd figure in the costs to have everything serviced and deduct that from the price. Also check for the Winnebago black bag that has all the manuals for all the systems. It is good to have.
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, my condolences on the loss of your wife. I can't imagine what that must be like to go through. I wish you all the best.
Second, we have a 2005 Aspect 26A. We bought it in 2010, and paid 44,500 for it at Winnebago Motor Homes in Rockford, IL. It had 50,000 miles on it and now has 78,000. We have not had a bit of trouble other than a small roof leak. (easily fixed). The mechanical parts have been equally reliable. The Ford V10 is virtually bulletproof.
The people who owned it before us used this motorhome, they put 10,000/year on it. All the bugs were worked out long ago. They traded it in on a new Winnie Class A. Turns out they were friends of some friends of ours.(didn't know that at the time.
I would look at the higher mileage unit over the low mileage one. Chances are things are in better shape even though there may less obvious wear. These things are meant to be driven, not sit in a storage lot and driven 1-2000 miles a year.
Personally I think the dealers are asking too much for those units you're interested in.
EDIT: Our Aspect does not have leveling jacks, although I have been contemplating spending the money to put them on.
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice