Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #1

Air Compresser #1

2008 Winnebago Destination. Took it out for a monthly check ride (its been a slow/distracted season). Air Compressor 1 takes awhile to build pressure. Then the pressure level seems to wander. AC2 - no similar problems. After getting home, got distracted then went back to dump the air. One tank dumped, the other tank had nothing to dump. Suspect leak.

Short trip planned for this week.

Longer trip planned for next month.

Do I take it to Freightliner for troubleshoot and repair? Or something else?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 10:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSmithJr View Post
2008 Winnebago Destination. Took it out for a monthly check ride (its been a slow/distracted season). Air Compressor 1 takes awhile to build pressure. Then the pressure level seems to wander. AC2 - no similar problems. After getting home, got distracted then went back to dump the air. One tank dumped, the other tank had nothing to dump. Suspect leak.

Short trip planned for this week.

Longer trip planned for next month.

Do I take it to Freightliner for troubleshoot and repair? Or something else?

Well Sir,
First off, I'm a bit confused here. As far as I can remember, and I've been around these things and trucks for a few zillion years, all I've ever seen is ONE compressor, on any of the engines. The way I read you, you're stating your coach has TWO compressors, correct? If so, this is a first for me. I'm wondering how this type of system integrates with all the other components of the air system.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:53 AM   #3

Scott, you are 100% correct. One compressor with two tanks. My confusion comes from the dashboard gauges. I spoke with the local Freightliner service center and it is most likely a malfunctioned check valve.

Bob
Old 08-22-2017, 04:18 AM   #4

There are actually 3 tanks. One is filled by the compressor and that air is divided to the two other tanks thru check valves.

Could be a sticking check valve, although I've never seen one in 35 years of working on them, or more likely a leak somewhere.

They should fill evenly and hold a steady air pressure, if not moving. Get it into the shop before going on your trip.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
There are actually 3 tanks. One is filled by the compressor and that air is divided to the two other tanks thru check valves.

Could be a sticking check valve, although I've never seen one in 35 years of working on them, or more likely a leak somewhere.

They should fill evenly and hold a steady air pressure, if not moving. Get it into the shop before going on your trip.
Yes, have an appointment with Freightliner on Thursday morning.

There is weather on the way in this evening. So I started the coach to bring in the slides and lift the leveling jacks. AC 1 & 2 came up to pressure in good order. This time, I did the air dump right away. The first tank dumped as usual. The second tank dumped in a hurry and with no where near the usual volume. Will need to look at a chassis diagram to see which one is which.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

Air pressures

I think you are referring to your primary and secondary air tank pressures. Most systems are designed to build pressure in the primary tank first up to 65 to 100 psi and then a check valve opens and the secondary tank gets filled. So at that point both are getting filled. Primary air pressure is reserved for brakes while secondary is for things like air bags, air horns an air ride seats and such. Some of the newer units have air dryers that build primary air to 100 psi and then direct air to the secondary system. First thing I would check is the air dryer. Has it been serviced regularly? Then there are protection valves or check valves that control which tank gets air that could be the issue. Don't let the dealer abuse you and sell you things you do not need. Ask questions...
Whcopland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whcopland View Post
I think you are referring to your primary and secondary air tank pressures. Most systems are designed to build pressure in the primary tank first up to 65 to 100 psi and then a check valve opens and the secondary tank gets filled. So at that point both are getting filled. Primary air pressure is reserved for brakes while secondary is for things like air bags, air horns an air ride seats and such. Some of the newer units have air dryers that build primary air to 100 psi and then direct air to the secondary system. First thing I would check is the air dryer. Has it been serviced regularly? Then there are protection valves or check valves that control which tank gets air that could be the issue. Don't let the dealer abuse you and sell you things you do not need. Ask questions...

Great clarification and elaboration that support other research and resources. This is for a 2007 couch that I bought used four? years ago. It does get serviced every spring, but I may be diversifying my service model. To the Cummins dealer for the engine and to Freightliner service center for the chassis.

Talking with Freightliner, their first impression is check valves.

Thank you and stay tuned.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #8

The air system funtion is explained here.

There are some variables, but the system is split, to have the front brakes on one tank and rear on the other. This is designed as a safety feature.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_(road_vehicle)
Old 08-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #9

The link doesn't seem to work. Here is another.

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/airbrakes101.php
Old 08-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #10

Quote:
The link doesn't seem to work. Here is another.

RV Tech Library - Introduction to Air Brakes
Interesting site - looks like some great reading for the upcoming winter.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
The air system funtion is explained here.

There are some variables, but the system is split, to have the front brakes on one tank and rear on the other. This is designed as a safety feature.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_(road_vehicle)
Almost got me there, then got here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_(road_vehicle)

slight syntax difference. :
Old 08-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
The way I read you, you're stating your coach has TWO compressors, correct? If so, this is a first for me.
I have two compressors.

One on the engine, and a 12v electric one under the steps that keeps me level when the engine is not being used !!
Old 08-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I have two compressors.

One on the engine, and a 12v electric one under the steps that keeps me level when the engine is not being used !!
One on the engine

That's what I'm talking about, only ONE on the engine. The other is an auxiliary for operations other than DOT specked operations.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
One on the engine

That's what I'm talking about, only ONE on the engine. The other is an auxiliary for operations other than DOT specked operations.

Yes, I stand educated. One Air Compressor and two (or more) tanks. My preliminary confusion stems from the dashboard indicators - AC1 & AC2. Which report the pressure in one tank and the other.

Tags
air