RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #1

Air Conditioner Repairs

Hello Everybody. I'm new to Rving and just bought a 1999 Adventure last year. My aft air conditioner is not drawing any amps and needs to be repaired. Has anybody added more Freon to their system? Any hints that might be useful??

Ghostrider38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Dom

If it is not drawing any amps, it likely compressor is not starting. due to stalling or a thermostat issue that its not getting power. Are you able to use a voltmeter?

Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 PM   #3

Most RV air conditioners are not normally serviceable as far as Freon goes, no hose attachment schrader valves. But if no amps - check electrical; the fan should pull amps.
tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider38 View Post
Hello Everybody. I'm new to Rving and just bought a 1999 Adventure last year. My aft air conditioner is not drawing any amps and needs to be repaired. Has anybody added more Freon to their system? Any hints that might be useful??
Need more info. How do you know it is not drawing amps? You have an amp meter and know how to use it? Is the fan running? Is the compressor running?

Do the start and run capacitors look to be in their original shape or are they puffed up and bulging?
Old 01-13-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
If it is not drawing any amps, it likely compressor is not starting. due to stalling or a thermostat issue that its not getting power. Are you able to use a voltmeter?

My Rig is in storage now with snow on the ground here in the Midwest. I'm trying to get some ideas so when the weather get better I'll have an idea what to do.
Counting the days.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #6

Ghostrider, what does "drawing no amps mean" When you call for cooling you hear nothing? do you hear anything? is fan running and not cooling? Do you hear compressor at all? We need a more descriptive symptom.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #7

The fan does run when I turn of the A/C, but only 1 amp is show on my display when I'm on the Generator of hooked to shore power.
I did you it last summer and the A/C unit did not put out much cold air. It did however show about 6-8 amps when I turned it on. Now again, it's only 1 amp and that might be from the blower motor.
I'll get up on top of the rig this spring and try to see if the compressor is receiving voltage to start, but not sure if I can fix this unit. So what you are saying, not much and be done to these units other than changing them out. I'm I correct or am I still missing something? Thanks again for your insightful help.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #8

Sorry to say it's a > 20 year old unit and probably well past it's servicable life. I have a 2010 RV and have already replaced my rear heat pump and just recently replaced the fan motor on the front unit.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM   #9

I kinda though that. Where is a good place to start looking to find a replacement.
My paperwork says its a RVP A division of AIRXCEL, Inc. But I guess I can replace it with any air conditioner.

Thanks again for your help....
Old 01-13-2020, 05:14 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2017 Adventurer and the rear A/C spit out it’s refrigerant last fall. 45-days after its 2-yr warranty expired. Not repairable I was told.

I have heard that if folks have the unit removed and physically take it to an A/C repair shop that they can be repaired, but that they won’t work on them if the are on the RV.

I’ve also heard you can buy a working A/C from one of the RV junkyards, like Colaw or Visone. They strip A/Cs from wrecked RVs with body damage.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider38 View Post
I kinda though that. Where is a good place to start looking to find a replacement.
My paperwork says its a RVP A division of AIRXCEL, Inc. But I guess I can replace it with any air conditioner.

Thanks again for your help....

You should see if you can cross-reference what that would be now. I bet once you find that you can check Amazon. Gettting a unit that matches could save some re-wiring allowing you to use the same control unit/ thermostat.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #12
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I have a 2017 Adventurer and the rear A/C spit out itís refrigerant last fall. 45-days after its 2-yr warranty expired. Not repairable I was told.

I have heard that if folks have the unit removed and physically take it to an A/C repair shop that they can be repaired, but that they wonít work on them if the are on the RV.

Iíve also heard you can buy a working A/C from one of the RV junkyards, like Colaw or Visone. They strip A/Cs from wrecked RVs with body damage.
On your unit check to see if any oil is around the tubing. That is a giveaway for refrigerant leak. If you do find that, I'd remove top unit and take it into get repaired. Probably only cost you 200 vs 1000 for a new one. Also you could explain to tech what you found and if its a simple fix they may do it on the roof
Old 01-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Before buying just any replacement consider what models and brand will work with your thermostat. Not just any will work.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:53 PM   #14

Thank you very much. I can't wait for the weather to break here in the Midwest. I'll be out there with volt meter in hand as soon as the snow and cold are gone.
Again I appreciate all the feed back that I'm getting back.

Tags
air, repair, repairs