Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

Air from dash A/C vents not consistent for Adventurer 35U

Hi Guys,

I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U with the Freightliner chassis. When I accelerate, the air that comes out of the dash air vents disappears until I get to about 60 mph or start going down hill, then it starts flowing again. I had a similar problem on an older Itasca Suncruiser with a Ford chassis. I assume that this is vacuum related since the A/C switch works off vacuum, but I do not know how to solve the problem.

I have checked all of the vacuum lines to the switch and all appear to be leak free. Any ideas will be helpful.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we had that problem it was due to insufficient engine vacuum to run the vent controls. The vacuum canister was too small and when the engine vacuum dropped the vents reverted to the defrost position. We were told to add an extra canister to increase the capacity. All was then well. You may have a different problem or a cracked hose or bad control valve but that was our problem. Call the Freightliner support number. They can sometimes be great.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 AM   #3

I guessed that an insufficient amount of vacuum was the issue. Do you have a part number for the larger canister and an idea of where to install it? If not, I can call Freightliner for assistance.

Thanks for your response.

Martin
Old 09-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just a thought...
Us diesel-pusher guys don't have any engine vacuum, so our rigs have a small 12vDC motor and associated canister up front. You could add one to your rig, but you'd have to come up with some sort of check-valve so that your "new" vacuum was not messing with your V10 vacuum.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigeDuner View Post
I guessed that an insufficient amount of vacuum was the issue. Do you have a part number for the larger canister and an idea of where to install it? If not, I can call Freightliner for assistance.

Martin
I had the same issue, Part you want is AC Delco# 03535761 connect with a Tee, leave the old vacuum canister in place.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:47 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Martin
Since we were on the road at the time we just pulled into a NAPA and asked for any canister somewhere around the size of a grapefruit. Doesn't matter which one. Keep the old one in. You are just supplementing get a T the same size as the existing hose and a little extra hose. You may need an adapter if the hose size is different. Zip ties hold it in place. Back on the road in 15 minutes.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:08 AM   #7

Just like the F53 HVAC vacuum system. There is a 12v vacuum pump with a vacuum canister. If there is not enough vacuum the system defaults to the defrost outlets.
Find this and check the hoses, pump. and canister for leaks
Old 09-23-2019, 06:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U with the Freightliner chassis. When I accelerate, the air that comes out of the dash air vents disappears until I get to about 60 mph or start going down hill, then it starts flowing again. I had a similar problem on an older Itasca Suncruiser with a Ford chassis. I assume that this is vacuum related since the A/C switch works off vacuum, but I do not know how to solve the problem.

I have checked all of the vacuum lines to the switch and all appear to be leak free. Any ideas will be helpful.
Are you sure of the model and chassis? I'm not aware of any Freightliner chassis being available in the 2002 model year. The 2002 Adventurer brochure shows only the Ford F53 and Workhorse chassis available for the Adventurer. I believe 1999 was the last year the Adventurer was available with the freightliner chassis.

Winnebago made some UFO chassis around the 2006 time frame, but I believe they were the Destination and Latitude models. They also made the Latitude in 2008 that could be on either a Workhorse or Freightliner chassis.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:19 AM   #9

You are correct, I have the F53 chassis with the V10, which I thought was a Freightliner chassis. My mistake and thanks for clearing that up. I will search out my vacuum tank so I can tee in another or swap it out for a bigger one.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #10

There is another vacuum reservoir below the right headlight. It's larger than the spherical one under the hood. We found the plug on this reservoir on our 2001 Adventurer was loose and leaking. I would check it out before ordering any new parts.

Here's a link to a another thread on the same subject. Post #7 shows the reservoir I'm referring to.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/loose...ne-312516.html
Old 09-24-2019, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
I had the same issue, Part you want is AC Delco# 03535761 connect with a Tee, leave the old vacuum canister in place.
I forgot in my earlier post to suggest checking for a possible bad vacuum check valve.There should be one on the hose between the intake manifold and the cannister. I had mine go bad last fall.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #12

I found the canister behind the RF headlight. Hard to miss once you know what you are looking for. The connections appear to be good. We are headed back to AZ today so I will check out the balance of the system when we get home. Our current park does not want you to be working on your rig while in the park. I will play the game with the engine to keep the air coming out of the dash vents. Thanks for the ideas and part numbers. Is there a park number for the check valve in case mine is bad?

Tags
adventurer, air, dash, vent