Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #1

Hi all, I have an '03 Journey 32' with a 5.9 Cummins. About 2 yrs. ago, we had to have the alternator replaced due to not charging. Freightliner covered that one.
It's now showing the same symptoms, I'll drive about 20 miles and the voltage keeps dropping until the battery light comes on. I've discovered that I can run the generator to get the volts back up to about 12.5 and keep going.
I'm leaving on Thursday for a trip and need to repair ASAP.
My question is, have any of you replaced the alternator on one of these before? I just got back last night and haven't yet looked to see where it even is. Or is that job better left to the pros? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have plenty of tools.
Also, should I get a new or rebuilt unit?
Thanks for your help.
Dave Merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 AM   #2

Hi all, I have an '03 Journey 32' with a 5.9 Cummins. About 2 yrs. ago, we had to have the alternator replaced due to not charging. Freightliner covered that one.
It's now showing the same symptoms, I'll drive about 20 miles and the voltage keeps dropping until the battery light comes on. I've discovered that I can run the generator to get the volts back up to about 12.5 and keep going.
I'm leaving on Thursday for a trip and need to repair ASAP.
My question is, have any of you replaced the alternator on one of these before? I just got back last night and haven't yet looked to see where it even is. Or is that job better left to the pros? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have plenty of tools.
Also, should I get a new or rebuilt unit?
Thanks for your help.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave, It may not be your alternator. It sounds like you might have a battery problem, or even both.
Here is a link on checking your alternator, on my web site that may help you:

Alternator Diagnosis

I suggest you have your batteries all tested, before you do anything else.

Good Luck - Glenn
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Sounds like it might be the alternator ok. The way to tell, as the very good link indicates, is to measure the battery voltage with the engine running. It should measure about 13.8 volts plus or minus a few tenths. If it doesn't, it is most likely the alternator or the regulator (which these days is part of the alternator).

If you can get to the alternator they are quite easy to replace these days. Put a socket on the unibelt tensioner and relieve the tension enough to remove the belt. Put a bungee or something on the belt to keep it whese it belongs so you don't have to restring it. Then simply remove the bolts holding it on, install the new one, and reinstall the belt.

I used to do all my own maintenance, even it meant rebuilding the engine. Nowadays if I can save time I still do it. Replacing an alternator yourself is quicker than taking the MH somewhere, so for me it's a no-brainer.

Whether a new or rebuilt one is really a matter of how hard it is to get to. Auto Zone, for example, has a lifetime warranty on both.

Good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:36 AM   #5

Thanks guys,
I lifted the bed and pulled the cover yesterday, then I got on the phone to a local shop and they are replacing it for me today. I could barely reach half the bolts and didn't even see the tensioner. Maybe if you were a real skinny guy with long arms you could get in there. They're doing the job for about $400 so that's not as bad as I'd thought. Looked like more trouble than it's worth to me.
Thanks again for your advice.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:40 AM   #6

One other thing, when Freightliner replaced it the first time, they put on a remanufactured unit. They only put on new ones if the unit isn't sold yet. I wasn't sure about that until I asked.