Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2014, 07:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Wink AM Radio reception on my new vista 35F

We have our 2015 35F Vista for several months now and taken a number of short trips. Had a punch list of 30 items in which all have been remedied I hope.

My question is the AM radio reception-long version. There is none. I know am is worse than fm, it seems. It sounds like the radio isn't attached to the antenna. When there is, it fades in and out. When the tech would touch the antenna, stations would come in loud and clear. I told him he had a permanent job if he decided to leave the teching business!!!The dealer replaced the radio. Same problem, no am reception. So the tech disconnected the ground and it sure helped. He said he connected a long piece of wire under the dash to act as the ground. I asked if it was safe ( I don't know) and he really seemed to not know either, but it seemed to solve the problem.

Another 35F was right next to mine when I went to pick mine up. I asked if if we could check the am out on that one. We did. Guess what. No reception. I said there must be something wrong with the engineering behind this situation.

My question, is this fix safe? What could be causing this problem? Love the coach tho. Its a keeper. Thanks to all.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #2

We had the same issue in our 2014 coach. Turns out, the AM/FM antenna was missing!! The base was there but the 12 inch rubber antenna that screws in was absent. The dealer sent one to me immediately, no questions asked. Went up on the roof, screwed it in, and VOILA! - great reception.
hutchg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Adven View Post
He said he connected a long piece of wire under the dash to act as the ground. I asked if it was safe ( I don't know) and he really seemed to not know either, but it seemed to solve the problem.
My question, is this fix safe? What could be causing this problem? .
99Adven
A poorly grounded radio antenna will cause poor AM reception.
An "antenna ground" is not dangerios because carries no electrical current.
Mel S
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio