RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

An Unfortunate Experience

My wife and I both love our Vista 35F RV.

A few weeks ago , I noticed our bedroom slide had a crunching noise (1-2 seconds) when extending it outwards. Of course I stopped the slide to recheck everything and all looked to be clear. So I extended the rest of the way out.
When we left the campsite, that same crunching noise occurred while when retracting the side at about the time the side is near complete on retracting.
When I got home, I checked everything on the slide out, including the shwintek railings....all looked fine! I could not figure out what thar noise was.
Last Thursday, we set up again for the holiday weekend. Once again, there was that crunching noise at the end of extending. Totally perplexed by the noise and triple checking everything again, I noticed the plastic trim on the right side of the slide out which covers the power cord for the schwintek motor was not properly seated. I corrected this issue thinking the factory must have not seated it correctly. I was satisfied because thought I figured it out.......wrong!
This morning, my wife notices little specks of glass shards on the bed topper and floor. So we spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what the heck broke and left glass shards in the bedroom.

Well, we finally figured it out. Our 35F has frosted glass round caps covering the LED lighting. These caps are installed by pushing the cap up into the fixture and twisting to lock in place. We noticed one (of four) was missing in the bedroom. My wife starts to steam as she thought the service tech may have broken one and neglected to say anything about it. Our rig was in the shop right before we left to correct some wiring for satellite reception on one TV. Close on the guess, but something does not seem right with that conclusion since the shards were very small...like glitter.

Here is what actually took place using deductive reasoning.....

The glass cap, actually jarred itself loose while driving. The glass cap fell on top of the slide out so when the unit was extended, the cap got lodged under the frame rail. The pressure of the slide out caused the glass the chip and throw shards all over the bedroom. Luckily, there was very very minimal damage ( the top of the slide out was scrapped and slightly indented) and the cap settled towards the center of the slide out. I do think if the cap landed towards the side, it could have thrown a side out easily.

Summary,
As part of your safety check, prior to leaving on a trip and after arrival, be sure to visually check your lighting caps are in place and check all visible screws to be sure they are tightened. We threw out the bed topper since the shards would be impossible to get out and the bedroom was throughly swept.

All is good now, but thought I would share this.

Geoff

gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

When I had my TT TH we had one in the bathroom fall and break all over the floor during transport, I checked the rest of them and almost all of them were loose. I now have a 5th wheel (alot more of them) and I check them every time before and after towing.

wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
When I had my TT TH we had one in the bathroom fall and break all over the floor during transport, I checked the rest of them and almost all of them were loose. I now have a 5th wheel (alot more of them) and I check them every time before and after towing.

We now make it a habit to check them all.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good point, thanks for the heads up. Another item for my pre-voyage check list.
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #5

Pre Voyage Checklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosunmate View Post
Good point, thanks for the heads up. Another item for my pre-voyage check list.

...at the rate my PRE-voyage checklist is growing,I'm thinking I do not have the time to go anywhere in a four day weekend....lol...
charlesperki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesperki View Post
...at the rate my PRE-voyage checklist is growing,I'm thinking I do not have the time to go anywhere in a four day weekend....lol...

I find my pre and post voyage checklist growing as well. lol