Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Analog antenna and TV...want to pick up local channels

I have 2001 tv and antennae that have never been updated...how to I convert to pickup digital tv signals from local stations...can I just buy an analog to digital converter box and install between antennae and tv? Own a 2001 Winnebago v32
Late arrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late arrival View Post
I have 2001 tv and antennae that have never been updated...how to I convert to pickup digital tv signals from local stations...can I just buy an analog to digital converter box and install between antennae and tv? Own a 2001 Winnebago v32
Yes thats all you need.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote:
in essence, yes. btw, there is no such thing as a digital antenna or an analog antenna. if your TV is analog you will need a digital-to-analog converter box.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #4

Hi Late arrival. Boy you sure picked an appropriate screen name.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:07 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Howdy Late Arrival. You do not need any special equipment. If you place into service a Flat screen TV, it will receive digital quality TV. No special antenna needed. I downloaded a antenna app called "TV Antenna Helper", it is free. There are a number of others as well, but it is what works for me.
I highly recommend you go to the Blue Band near top of the page, look for search, select and type TV Antenna, then select go. You will see a ton of threads, only open the threads that discuss TV and TV reception, OTA (Over The Air), Winegard, Jack. Read as many as you can and you will be surprised at how much info you can acquire.
My MH is a year older than yours, and I put in my 40" from home and I am very happy with my reception. Please know the search feature has a lot to be desired. But there is enough info for hours of reading.
Good Luck, and update how you are doing...
Old 03-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No conversion needed,, There is no such thing as a Digital Antenna,,ALL antennas are analog (Radio Frequency)

A radio transmission consists of two things mixed
Carrier (What the antenna picks up) and Modulation.. MODULATION can be analog or digital,, Voice,Video,Text or computer information. But to th antenna..All the same.

That said.. You can UPGRADE the antenna somewhate.

Assuming you have a winegard Sensar II or III (Batwing) with a wall plate inside.. this plate has a switch, a light, a 12 volt accy outlet and an antenna jack (Or option 2 a Matrix switch or Box of Many Buttons)

Adding the WINGMAN will improve reception in the UHF portion of the band. I recommnd it

Adding the Sensar PRO indoor module (Replaces the wall plate) and reading its manual.. WILL make a major improvement. But do read the manual.

The Sensar Pro replaces the wall plate if you have it

if you have the BOMB (Box of...) then you can still use the Sensar Pro.. You will need a standard electrical outlet box to mount it in is all

And that ...Is how I am watching TV as I type.

Oh, you need a modern Digital TV..Since it works with the modulation, IT needs to be digital.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
In the ether...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
in essence, yes. btw, there is no such thing as a digital antenna or an analog antenna. if your TV is analog you will need a digital-to-analog converter box.
This is the correct answer--if you have not upgraded your TV to a newer flat screen HDTV.

Here's a link to some Digital to Analog TV converter boxes.

Digital TV Converter Boxes : Digital TV Converters - Walmart.com

Note, that you may not be happy with the picture on your TV--it may be letterboxed, so the best thing to do in the event you are not happy is to skip the converter box and upgrade your TV's.

Scott
Old 03-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
We have an 03 Minnie Winnie and I installed a converter box when the conversion from analog to digital took place. The box works okay, but it does add another remote control to the equation when using over the air TV signals. We have also stayed at several campgrounds that now have digital cable and the converter box we have doesn't convert the cable signals. Since the cost of LED TVs have come down, I would now replace the old CRT TV with a new LED TV. I think it's a better solution in the long run. Also, newer LED TV mounts have come out that allow you to lock the TV in place while traveling. Just my thought on it.
Pete
Peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you converter TV's to HD LCD you only need a JACK ANT to pick up local stations with campground cable should already be there.
If you look in QT's # 3 will find many tv to LCD conversions and info in PDR John's MOD Section about HDMI installations.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
So much help, so little brain...thanks for all of your input...I'm not proficient enough to post a pic. But I have a box with selectors of aux sat ant cable for each set in motorhome..then a switch for speakers selection for radio and tv, then an inverter...with a VCR sitting on top....all is fixed and I cannot even figure how to get VCR out...seems screwed together somehow
Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok that box is properly called a MATRIX SWICH or for short BOMB (Box of many Buttons)

You need a digital TV or digital adapter....Will discuss how to adapt

Assuming a Winegard Sensar II or III (Batwing) I would add the Wingman and the Sensar Pro as described above.

IF NOT upgrading televisons thn for SINGLE CHANNEL AT A TIME operator find the leades on the BOMB for TO VCR and FROM VCR

Replace VCR with the digital adapter (or put the adapter "in front" of the VCR (To VCR goes to Digi-adapter TO TV on adapter goes to VCR,,VCR,when off,passes back to the switch)

on the VCR section choose ANT..On the TV's choose VCR

IF you want multiple channel You need multiple DIgi-Adapters

In this case use the Sensar Pro,,, Mounted in a switch box.. The Sensar PRO has two outputs..Run one to each of two Digital converters

Feed one of those back to the VCR (or VCR IN) the other to AUX

Or feed one out from the Sensar PRO to ANT in on the BOMB (more on this in a bit) and feed the other to AUX via the digital converter.

Then for the MAIN TV choose AUX

For the Remote TV choose ANT but... You will need to access the antenna lead for that TV and "Cut in" the 2nd digital converter

(Cut in does not involve cutting wires.. You disconnect the wire from the TV and connect to the converter.. Converter MUST HAVE PASS THROUGH, now the line from converter returns to TV.

IF you are in S.E. GA.. I can set it all up for you if you buy the hardware.. I am near (not in) Darien
Old 03-31-2015, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
So much help, so little brain...thanks for all of your input...I'm not proficient enough to post a pic. But I have a box with selectors of aux sat ant cable for each set in motorhome..then a switch for speakers selection for radio and tv, then an inverter...with a VCR sitting on top....all is fixed and I cannot even figure how to get VCR out...seems screwed together somehow
if it's like ours the VCR is attached to the switcher with industrial strength Velcro. use a knife at the corners to gently assist the Velcro in coming apart.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #13

Quote:
My VCR and selector box were attached together with what appears to be very heavy-duty velcro type material. When I replaced the VCR with a DVD unit, I used new Velcro which works well to keep things together.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Still working on TV issue...bought new digital tv...box of mant buttons very intimidating...tomorrow or so will try again to separate VCR from brown box...also reading all the forums I can to learn..I have wingard with push button on front of bomb...will let y'all know soon. Thanks all for help.

Tags
antenna