Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another Summer Ruined

Frustration is an understatement of what Im feeling at this moment. We own a 2016 Winnebago Meridian and recently completed the first leg of a 7 week journey and both slides on the drivers side decided to fail. The kitchen slide is squeaking terribly and makes loud cracking sounds when its being retracted. The bedroom retracted on only one side and had to be manually pushed in so we could drive home. Every dealer that I called within 200 miles of our home said at least a 4 week wait just to evaluate it. This is the 2nd summer lost because of inferior workmanship. We live in New York and looking for any suggestions for a reputable service center that might be able to get me in sooner. Im willing to travel up to 5 hours or more if necessary.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Well that really stinks, we have a dealer in Conway NH but they are usually out straight this time of year, this isn't what your going to want to hear but......maybe with the problems your having this year and last I'd bite the bullet and get it out to the factory in Iowa
Coos Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I have dealt with Caledonia RV from whom we bought our extended warranty. I have no idea when they could get you in...
We have made the trip to Forest City to deal with our slide issues.
3342 Caledonia Avon Rd, Caledonia, New York 14423

(585) 294-5088
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynforpar View Post
Frustration is an understatement of what Im feeling at this moment. We own a 2016 Winnebago Meridian and recently completed the first leg of a 7 week journey and both slides on the drivers side decided to fail. The kitchen slide is squeaking terribly and makes loud cracking sounds when its being retracted. The bedroom retracted on only one side and had to be manually pushed in so we could drive home. Every dealer that I called within 200 miles of our home said at least a 4 week wait just to evaluate it. This is the 2nd summer lost because of inferior workmanship. We live in New York and looking for any suggestions for a reputable service center that might be able to get me in sooner. Im willing to travel up to 5 hours or more if necessary.
More than 5 hours but NIRVC in Atlanta is tops in many folks books. They don't sell Winnebago but service all makes. Very trustworthy and classy folks
Old 07-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to hear your pain. Call the factory, speak nicely and see when they can get you in. Its going to be a trip but they can't fix it then maybe they will replace it.
by the way which slide out system do you have? The Schwintek or it's replacement?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
GNR this week and the shop is usually closed the week before and after GNR for repairs. During the GNR they do due repair, up to 3 items I believe, first come first serve for attendees. Your coach however, might carry priority as it still under warranty being less then two years old.

Depending on where you are. I'm presently at the Winnebago Junction City shop. At this time they are busy, but not really jammed (from what I see). Only three coaches showed up for repairs on Monday. All of us did have appointments however. So, if you near (near is relative) you might give them a call and see if they can take you.

I'm having slide blocks on both my front slides replaced, rotten wall pieces (water leak I didn't see) replaced. A little touch up after repairing side wall separation behind my drivers side front slide. Also some minor cabinet repair(too much weight in cabinet on some of our great U. S. Highways).

Hope you get the repair quickly and never have a repeat.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Feel your pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynforpar View Post
Trynforpar- Thats a tough situation and we've been down the same road as we left GA for Wyoming a couple of weeks ago. A week into the trip our bedroom slide mechanism went crazy. We managed to keep it running but we were in the middle of no where.

We weighed hitting the west coast factory in Oregon when we were in Idaho, but decided to go wait it out in Forrest city IA on the way back home. SOOOO GLAD WE DID!

I thought we'd wait a week to be seen at least as we had no appointment. WRONG- We arrived at the factory last Monday morn and I went in side to register our presence and the problem. Before I walked back outside to the coach- they had disconnected my dolly and want to know why my rig wasn't sitting inside the bay getting assessed! I couldn't keep up with thier pace of getting it all done! As GNR was ramping up it happened that a bunch of Lippert Techs were there for the event.

I had about 6 items to be repaired, mostly minor but we a major slide problem. It turns out the Lippert techs that were on site jumped on the slide issue, assessed the problem and made a repair in less than an hour. We had arrived at 6:00 AM and were headed south at 12:30 PM. What fantastic service!

The all the techs there are just awesome! Not all situations work out that way I know but we were more than pleased.

While it can be crowded at GNR and it has its downside, its good to be able to connect when the Lippert folks are there- especially for slides!

Sure hope all works out for you.

Joe
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Winnebago has had a boat load of slide problems since they quit using HWH. Seems to be almost a universal problem with the newer models.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:46 PM   #9
mre

Well, welcome to my world! On thing I will say about Winnebago is that they do discriminate between higher end pushers and gassers as far as quality goes (or the lack there of). I am now 133 days and counting on either the coach being down, in for repair, or waiting on parts. Two slides have failed each and each requiring two repairs at two separate times (four dealer visits in all). Of course this does not include the other assortment of problems and visits for other repairs. I feel your pain as far as lost summer trips. All this since taking delivery the end of February 2016.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In 2015 we traded the '02 DSDP in on the Magna, first trip out the engine dropped a valve in #6, 5 weeks and $22,000 lost. April 30 my late DW was fired from her job of 33 years. Mid June they diagnosed her with liver cancer. Most of the rest of the year was taken with testing and chemo.
Late 2015 she got on the liver transplant list in Seattle, a 200 mile one way trip. Jan 1 2016 insurance changed so we did a lot of the testing over and she got on the transplant list for OHSU a 17 mile trip.
July 4th they called and said they had a possible liver for her, left the MH at the campground, loaded the cats in the van and headed home, dropped the cats off and got to OHSU. She got the liver after 8 hours of surgery.
Got out and home for about a week, then started not being able to hold anything down and her temp went up so over to OHSU ER.
After much more testing they determined the new liver gave her Graft Vs Host Disease and she died August 21, 2016.
Summer has not been good for us!!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In 2015 we traded the '02 DSDP in on the Magna, first trip out the engine dropped a valve in #6, 5 weeks and $22,000 lost. April 30 my late DW was fired from her job of 33 years. Mid June they diagnosed her with liver cancer. Most of the rest of the year was taken with testing and chemo.
Late 2015 she got on the liver transplant list in Seattle, a 200 mile one way trip. Jan 1 2016 insurance changed so we did a lot of the testing over and she got on the transplant list for OHSU a 17 mile trip.
July 4th they called and said they had a possible liver for her, left the MH at the campground, loaded the cats in the van and headed home, dropped the cats off and got to OHSU. She got the liver after 8 hours of surgery.
Got out and home for about a week, then started not being able to hold anything down and her temp went up so over to OHSU ER.
After much more testing they determined the new liver gave her Graft Vs Host Disease and she died August 21, 2016.
Summer has not been good for us!!!
Oh my goodness Mr D. You guys had a rough run for sure. So sorry for your loss. Hopefully things are a little better this summer and you are getting by. No matter how rough we may think we have it someone else has it a little worse. God Bless you.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the responses and well wishes. After a few days of sulking I decided to bite the bullet and travel to Forest City and have Winnebago make the necessary repairs. Going on a first come first served basis schedule so hopefully I don't have to wait very long to be seen.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:54 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW Mr D Im so sorry for your loss and your story helped me focus more on what's important and stop sweating the small stuff.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lippert and Power Gear