Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Well, we got the new Henderson SuperSteer bellcrank installed this morning, here at the house. A friend came over who has done a number of them before, and the job was completed in about an hour. Haven't taken the motorhome out on the highway, because of the tourist traffic coming to the beach, so I'll have to wait with that.

But, I did confirm one thing for sure: the original equipment bellcrank was impossible to turn by hand, once it was removed. And with channel locks, still severe binding and rough spots. So, with the new Henderson unit being roller bearing and totally sealed, I believe that there will be a noticeable improvement in steering.

Anyone else out there make the change? And Happy 4th to everyone on the forum!
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well, we got the new Henderson SuperSteer bellcrank installed this morning, here at the house. A friend came over who has done a number of them before, and the job was completed in about an hour. Haven't taken the motorhome out on the highway, because of the tourist traffic coming to the beach, so I'll have to wait with that.

But, I did confirm one thing for sure: the original equipment bellcrank was impossible to turn by hand, once it was removed. And with channel locks, still severe binding and rough spots. So, with the new Henderson unit being roller bearing and totally sealed, I believe that there will be a noticeable improvement in steering.

Anyone else out there make the change? And Happy 4th to everyone on the forum!
Indian River, De
Old 07-03-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

and bad steering is normal? OH MY
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Capt. Bill, I am looking forward to the drive test results.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Congratulations, Bill. I know it has to drive better. I too am waiting to hear the results. Hope all is well and a Happy month of July to you. Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the comments. I will be taking the rig out for a drive one day next week, and I'll be back here to tell you the good or the bad. The steering wasn't what I'd call bad before, but it was hard to find a 'firm center'. Always seemed to loose, but yet it had both a front end alignment and a 4 wheel alignment done by Freightliner in Gaffney, and Baltimore, Md.

In talking with others who have installed the Henderson, and they themselves, say that most OEM bellcranks of Chevy, Workhorse and Freightliner can cause an unstable feeling in the steering, due to their design. Henderson builds a very high quality product (and an expensive one), but feels that the market is there for it.

So now I have one. We'll see how good it is.
Indian River, De
Old 12-03-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Capt.Bill --

I am considering the Henderson Bell Crank as well. Did it help your sterring feel?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Don, before I answer your question, I should first explain that when we bought this rig as the 2nd owner, it had about 10k miles on it, and although I enjoyed it, the steering seemed to need to many minor corrections.

I had the 4 corners weighed, (we were nearly perfect there, and the tech even commented on it being one of the best balanced units he had seen), checked tire pressures, and had a 4 wheel laser alignment done. It still needed these constant corrections running straight down a highway. Arggh! Then I spoke to a senior chassis tech who told me that it could be the bellcrank. Frankly, I had my doubts. After all, how could that cause a problem like this?

Well, I ended up having one installed, and even before I drove the rig, I knew there would be a difference. You see, the old bellcrank had a rough spot right in the center position, and when you rotated it through that spot, it took a lot of effort, then it would feel loose. The unit had a lot of rust on the bearing surfaces, and this thing is not made to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed, or adjusted.

The new one is almost a work of art. It is all polished stainless steel, and seems very well made. It should be, too, because it cost a nice little chunk of dough. But I'm happy, so it was money well spent. If it hadn't solved the problem, I would still feel some level of satisfaction, because it is made SO MUCH BETTER than the O.E.M. part.
Indian River, De
Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Capt. Bill,

How many miles did your OEM bellcrank have on it? I notice the same issue with my 02 Journey.

Did it really help a lot?
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I'm guessing that it had about 25,000 when we changed it this past Spring, but the problem was noted 15,000 miles earlier.
Indian River, De