Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #1

Antenna Booster

We are new to RVing and just purchased a 2017 Vista LX 35f. When were in a campground using cable the TV starts off clear and slowly starts turning to a fuzzy picture. We were told we needed to check to see if our antenna booster is on, but we can't find it. Some have said it's in an overhead cabinet While others said it's on the ceiling on the white antenna itself. Help!
Sd2exploring is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 06:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd2exploring View Post
We are new to RVing and just purchased a 2017 Vista LX 35f. When were in a campground using cable the TV starts off clear and slowly starts turning to a fuzzy picture. We were told we needed to check to see if our antenna booster is on, but we can't find it. Some have said it's in an overhead cabinet While others said it's on the ceiling on the white antenna itself. Help!
I'm not sure where the main switch is in your coach, but there should be a slid switch on the base of the roof antenna and a series of red LED's. Make sure that switch is in the on position. If the main switch is also on at least one of the LED's should light up if you're getting reception.

Page 8-7 in the owners manual describes the location of the main switch, the switch and LED's on the antenna base, and the proper procedure for tuning in a station.
https://winnebagoind.com/resources/m...16Vista_LX.pdf
Old 08-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #3

I can't find the amplifier?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-08-07-09-05-01.png
Views:	396
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	172014  
Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd2exploring View Post
Sd2exploring,
First off, let's clear up a bit of confusion here. Your coach's TV can get its signal from a minimum of two different sources. There's more but, for now, we'll deal with the two primaries. The first one is CABLE TV. If a park, campground, RV/Resort, offers CABLE, (usually at the post where your shore power plugs in), it is either their system ( they might have some sort of deal with a local cable system that allows them to pipe in to all spots, cable) or, some other form of signal.
In any case, your coach's cable will connect to the connector on that post. You will then direct that signal to your TV via whatever mechanism YOUR COACH HAS, not what others have. Some folks seem think all coaches are built the same, not happening. If you have what's called a "Multi-Switch" box, that is, a box that allows for the choosing of multiple input signals, to be sent to the TV(s), you'd have to push one of the switches or buttons that says "Cable" . That will allow the incoming signal from the outside cable source, to enter your TV. Simple.

The second source of signal to be used by your TV is "over the air" signal. That signal comes from the Antenna, on the roof of your coach. There's a couple of variations of those antenna. The "Bat-wing" type is the most common that's been used for decades. It is raised from a travel position to the "In-use" position by a crank in the ceiling inside the coach. Another style can be permanently mounted and has no cranking. It's always up but, sits lower than the crank up style. Now, there's more but, that's not important right now.

In the case of using OVER THE AIR signals, those signals are not strong enough to enter the TV without some sort of "Boost" in power. Normally, there is a booster switch or button, located somewhere in the TV / VCR / DVD control compartment. What that switch does is this. It sends 12V up the cable that leads to any form of over-the-air antenna. There, that 12V boosts the signal. The signal is now stronger and can be sent to your TV via whatever kind of switching mechanism you have or, possibly the "Source" button on your remote.

But, when using park cable, there is NO NEED TO HAVE THAT POWER BOOST switch on. It will do NOTHING for your picture. In fact, in certain circumstances, it (the switch) is required to be OFF when using park cable. So, while this explanation might be a bit long winded, I thought I'd maybe enlighten you as to how your TV systems work.

There are other sources for input to your TV too. Such as, a DVD player, a Computer that can be plugged into the back of it via HDMI cord, (it now uses the TV as a monitor), a game box and others. But, for your present situation, just the over-the-air antenna and, park cable are the main concern right now.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #5

Thanks for your detailed response Scott. I understand how the cable vs antenna works. My only question really is where the booster is so that I can make sure it is off when using the parks cable. My understanding is that if the booster is on, it will distort my picture while using cable. I just don't know where that magic button is located in my particular RV. I previously had a Thor ACE and the button was easy to find. My owners manual does not give the exact location so I was hoping that another owner could direct me.
Thanks! :-)
Old 08-07-2017, 09:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Sd2exploring, looking at the drawings for your coach you have a video switch box.
The OTA (over the air) antenna connects directly to the switch box and the box supplies the 12VDC to the amplifier which is in the antenna. You do not have the wall booster switch referred to in the above posts.
The park cable also connects directly to the switch box. Next time it happens cycle the push buttons to see if you may have a dirty contact.
When more RV's connect to the park cable the signal will start to degrade if the park does not have enough signal strength.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	35F Video  2017.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	172128  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Sd2exploring, looking at the drawings for your coach you have a video switch box.
The OTA (over the air) antenna connects directly to the switch box and the box supplies the 12VDC to the amplifier which is in the antenna. You do not have the wall booster switch referred to in the above posts.
The park cable also connects directly to the switch box. Next time it happens cycle the push buttons to see if you may have a dirty contact.
When more RV's connect to the park cable the signal will start to degrade if the park does not have enough signal strength.
If his switch box is like many out there, the very far left button "should" say T V ANTENNA POWER. If it's not that button, you'll have to look around some more. Those antennas just don't AUTOMATTICALY power up on there own. Something has to send it power.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
If his switch box is like many out there, the very far left button "should" say T V ANTENNA POWER. If it's not that button, you'll have to look around some more. Those antennas just don't AUTOMATTICALY power up on there own. Something has to send it power.
Note if there is a Switch and a little knob on the "Jack" antenna panel on the ceiling next to some LEDs, this just turns on and off the signal strength meter so you can peak the antenna when turning it. That switch does not turn on and off the amplifier power. That said, if you get LEDs lighting up on that panel then you have the power on to the antenna some how, it gets its power for that stuff thru the antenna coax power feed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Note if there is a Switch and a little knob on the "Jack" antenna panel on the ceiling next to some LEDs, this just turns on and off the signal strength meter so you can peak the antenna when turning it. That switch does not turn on and off the amplifier power. That said, if you get LEDs lighting up on that panel then you have the power on to the antenna some how, it gets its power for that stuff thru the antenna coax power feed.
"It gets its power for that stuff through the coax"...
Exactly but, some switch or button somewhere, turns that power on and off .
Old 08-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #10

If using cable TV, turn off the antennae power, the re run auto channel search on your tv. We have a 35F as well. The antennae power switch should be located in the front right bay above the passenger on the right side wall. Just press the button as indicated.
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
gmccash, what year is your coach?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 PM   #13

Quote:

It's a 2015
gmccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:33 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
OK, In 2016MY Winnebago started installing a video switch in the Vista XL models. With the video switch all of the inputs are separate unlike models without the video switch where the OTA (over the air) and the park cable input are combined in the antenna power wall plate and must be turned off to get cable TV.
Now with the video switch, power is supplied to the antenna( which has the amp build in it) at all times ( I just verified this on my son's 2016 35F) and has no affect on the park cable input. There is not a switch to turn the power on and off going to the antenna.
Below is the manual for the video switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	VCS-10.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	172247  

Tags
antenna