Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Any Advice Would Be Appreciated

Excited about getting my first RV next month: 2011 Winnebago View Profile.
I would welcome any comments and input from other owners.
I am a first timer in the RV community and looking forward to a rich and rewarding experience.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

:welcome:
Good luck with your decision.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

If you don't get a lot of feedback here, you may want to see if the moderators can move this to the Winnebago owner's forum . Good luck
jdoran1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks, how do I post the message to the Winnebago Forum?
Old 04-23-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

:welcome: Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

There are 3 View\Navion forums on yahoo that are very active and have a wealth of info. Heres the main one: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion/info

There's also a tech forum and a mods forum. I recommend joining all 3. It may take a few hours before posts by a new member appear.....a moderator used to have to approve them 1st.

Posting to the Winnebago group - click on "forums" next to home on the top menu line and then scroll down to the Winnebago Forum. Once there, select "new thread". Only a moderator can move your message.

And Congratulations on your View.....I'm sure you'll love it!
neschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I own a Prism with the MB diesel also. A few things to stay on top of:
-use only low sulphur diesel, no bio diesel
-use only MB approved oil, 229.51 or .52 full synthetic. I use 5w 40 Mobil 1 ESP
-don't idle the engine too much
-not sure if you a have DEF tank but always carry a spare gallon if you do
-always change your fuel filter when you change your oil
-buy yourself a scan gauge I I and leave it plugged into your OBD port. It will provide lots of info on your engine

I'm sure I missed a couple of things but enjoy your MH and welcome to the forum.
Timberdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. This is very helpful indeed ! Whats DEF, I heard that mentioned before?
What do you mean not to idle too much ? How much is too much? As you can see I am really new at this.

Also, how can I forward these messages to another person?
Old 04-24-2015, 06:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You can go here Winnebago Product Information | Motorhome & RV Information for Winnebago product info. You can download the brochure, operators manual and even wiring diagrams.

You can also go here Mercedes-Benz Sprinter: Owners Manuals and find your Mercedes Sprinter Owners Manuals. It is probably a 2010 Sprinter but you might want to confirm that with the seller.

Read these and you'll know a lot about your new RV before you go to pick it up.

Select "thread tools" on the menu line just above your 1st post in this thread and you'll see an option to email the page.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I thought of a few links to helpful Yahoo View threads (found by using “search conversations" at the top of the yahoo forum page):

General “newbie”: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-Navion/conversations/topics/162922

Idling: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/View-NavionTech/conversations/topics/38897

You will also see links to photos, files, and other items on each of the 3 forum pages. There is a lot of useful info there, although I think most of it pertains to the earlier models.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Thanks. This is very helpful indeed ! Whats DEF, I heard that mentioned before?
What do you mean not to idle too much ? How much is too much? As you can see I am really new at this.

Also, how can I forward these messages to another person?
DEF (Diesel Engine Fluid) is a fluid injected into the exhaust stream to reduce emissions. You may need to check with Manufactuer (give them VIN #) if you don't know whether your Sprinter uses DEF or not.

The engine also has a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). Contaminants collect on the filter and are "burned" off in use. Idling excessively will load up the filter to the point it will reduce engine efficiency, and (at least in later models) the engine computer would eventually put you into "limp" mode - you'd only be able to go 10-15mph until you get it fixed. This will also happen if your DEF tank runs dry!

These being said, you'll LOVE that engine. With the DEF & DPF, you'll have a cleaner exhaust than you'd get with a lot of cars - you'll never have that diesel smell from the exhaust!!
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all your input and helpful links too.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My wife and I owned an early 2006 WGO View 23J for 8 years and 88K miles. It was a great motorhome but we wanted something bigger for longer (3-6 month) trips.

I also recommend the Yahoo Groups View-Navion forum. The #1 caution on any forum is, "Don't drink the Kool-Aid!" If you regularly read the forum, you'll begin to think that every V/N on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis is lying along the road somewhere, dead. Mostly people with problems post on forums and problems can range from true, dangerous emergencies (very rare) to the dumbest, self-inflicted, RTFM questions. Just be sure to use MB approved fluids (fuel, oils, ATF, etc.)

Not everyone on a forum is an expert regardless of how smart they tell you they are. Listen to guys like Tom (forum owner,) Byron (overall expert,) Elden (resident diesel guru) and a few others. Be wary of those who claim to be RV industry experts. Don't worry, be happy and you'll have a blast!
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice