Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

My new diesel MH came with a pitifully inadequate 1A10BC dry chemical fire extinguisher. I bought a AAAF foam unit (with a 70B rating!) at the FMCA rally in Brooksville two weeks ago. I plan to mount it in the LP tank compartment so I have unlocked external access to it - have to shut off the LP in case of fire anyway. This compartment is uninsulated. Question: will AAAF freeze like water or do the chemicals in it retard freezing? I occasionally venture north in the winter and don't want an unusable extinguisher.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

My new diesel MH came with a pitifully inadequate 1A10BC dry chemical fire extinguisher. I bought a AAAF foam unit (with a 70B rating!) at the FMCA rally in Brooksville two weeks ago. I plan to mount it in the LP tank compartment so I have unlocked external access to it - have to shut off the LP in case of fire anyway. This compartment is uninsulated. Question: will AAAF freeze like water or do the chemicals in it retard freezing? I occasionally venture north in the winter and don't want an unusable extinguisher.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
It has a freezing point of <-20 and a usable temperature range of 0'F
Old 02-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the quick reply Pat. You obviously have the knowledge in this area. What do you think of the plan to put it in the LP compartment?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I would suggest that you keep some kind of extinguisher that is rated a minimum 2A10BC. The rating has to do with the type of fire it will put out. "A" rating will handle all normal combustibles (wood, paper,etc.) "B" is for flammable liquids. "C" is for energized electrical. The AFFF foam type is great for class B, but will not handle C or A that well. Hope this helps!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thought it was illegal to lock the LP compartment. Mine has the keyhole blanked off. So did my 2000 Itasca Suncruiser.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:05 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich Bock:
I plan to mount it in the LP tank compartment so I have unlocked external access to it - have to shut off the LP in case of fire anyway. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
While I'm somewhat surprised that the jurisdiction in which your rig was delivered, allows the propane-tank compartment to be locked; if my rig catches fire, the propane tank compartment is probably the very last place I intend to head for!!

My rig is insured; and once it catches fire, I'm outta there!! It then becomes the insurance company's problem! I'm going going to get as far away from the rig as fast as I can run!!
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

As my post said "unlocked compartment" i.e. a compartment which is always unlocked because it can't be locked. Should have been clearer by saying always unlocked compartment.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Rich never said it was located in a "Locked" compartment. I believe he was clear in stating that the compartment was 'unlocked".

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:57 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I carry a foam extinguiser. Have it mounted just inside entry door where dry poweder was located.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I would get at least a 10Lb ABC extinguisher. That would handel all 3 classes of fire. Keep in mind that you only have seconds of use from an extinguisher. The best tactic is short bursts to keep the fire down or possibly put it completely out. I taught firefighting for 30 years and the biggest mistake people make is "dumping" the entire charge all at once and not getting the fire out. Pretty frustrating standing there with an empty extinguisher.
Hope you never have to use it!