RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2018, 11:58 AM   #1

Any Winnebago Intent Owners?

New ultra-affordable line of class A units that I've got my eye on. I can pick up a 32' bunkhouse class A for about 77K. It's hard to find a new-ish used coach in that price range. Let alone one that doesn't have 100K miles and smell like a wet dog.

I really like the idea of having the warranty, the newest chassis features (6spd tranny, etc.) and newer features like a drop down bunk over the cab. I'd probably finance about half of it and rates often seem a tick better on new as well.

Anyway, the inside is obviously a bit stripped down but I do like the Winnebago name as opposed to the others at the same price point. I'd love to hear from any owners.

mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #2

We don’t have an Intent but do have a Vista. When I bought mine in ‘17, it was the entry level. Then, shortly afterwards Winnie came out with the Intent and I like some of the features. For instance, the Intent has removable propane tanks which can make filling easier. I’m not sure of other significant differences vs the Vista. We love ours and hope that you love whatever you buy as well.

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
We don’t have an Intent but do have a Vista. When I bought mine in ‘17, it was the entry level. Then, shortly afterwards Winnie came out with the Intent and I like some of the features. For instance, the Intent has removable propane tanks which can make filling easier. I’m not sure of other significant differences vs the Vista. We love ours and hope that you love whatever you buy as well.
TPO roof versus fiberglass
Residential refrigerator only - no two-way option
End cap construction (Filon versus fiberglass)
No electric option for water heater
"Camper" style baggage doors versus slam-latch style (smaller too)

Seems that the Intent is made for those who prefer the RV park experience more than those who tend to overnight some or boondock often.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Seems that the Intent is made for those who prefer the RV park experience more than those who tend to overnight some or boondock often.
I got this impression as well but like most everything else about the coach (especially the price )

I'd have to think doubling up with 2 more house batteries would help things a lot, wouldn't it? I actually prefer the removable propane tanks and can live with no electric on the water heater.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I got this impression as well but like most everything else about the coach (especially the price )

I'd have to think doubling up with 2 more house batteries would help things a lot, wouldn't it? I actually prefer the removable propane tanks and can live with no electric on the water heater.
If nothing else, adding more solar capacity would help stretch your boondocking stays out some. I am also thinking that the removeable propane tanks would sure make life easier at times, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to "exercise" the rig and top of the permanent tank.

I do know that with all of our previous RV's, having the tanks capable of being hauled in to fill them made it easier to keep them topped off though.

The one advantage of electric water heating is that it doesn't tend to discolor the coach finish above the heat vent.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #6

Just a bit of follow up: A local dealer got in the exact model I am interested in (31P) so I went by to take a look. Overall, I was impressed at how much coach you can get for the $$.

But, there were a few negatives:

The drop down bunk over the front comes down very little compared to others I've seen. This results in only about 10-12" over your face when lying on your back. Even less with a pillow under your head.

They do a good job to conceal how cheap the finish materials are but some things are pretty obvious. The driver and co-pilot seats are super cheap. Limited adjustments and the levers to slide and swivel are terrible. One had already been broken off by someone trying to use them.

The single full wall slide lurched when moved in/out which was pretty concerning. The toothed rail visible on the rear facing small slide wall was noticeably bent which is concerning for sure.

The outdoor kitchen is REALLY small but at least it has one (on my "must have" list)

I was really just trying to get a quick look so I didn't look too close. I'm definitely still interested.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
After viewing both lengths of the coaches and their features/draw backs.
I came away with the impression that they are intended for a young/growing family that will do a few weekends and mebbe a 2 week vacation per year usage..

Pulling/filling/replacing those 2 (or 4) LP tanks will get really old....really fast..banged heads and skinned knuckles not with standing..
I did see a real need for 2 A/C roof units (even on the shortest unit) as there is a minimum of insulation everywhere.
The full wall (or nearly full wall ) slide is a concern in such a light weight coach.
The lack of a leveling system (may be an option) is somewhat of a deal breaker..
The generator is going to be used a lot (for A/C and to charge those batteries,(really need to swap out what they have, build a larger battery tray and add 2 8d-AGM's) to really have enough for the residential fridge (but you will have frozen ice creme for the kids ... and ice cubes for your favorite adult mixed beverages

The outdoor cooking option is just too limiting for it to be useful IMHO..
Every where I looked I saw construction/materials/components used that were the cheapest that they could acquire...
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Just a bit of follow up: A local dealer got in the exact model I am interested in (31P) so I went by to take a look. Overall, I was impressed at how much coach you can get for the $$.

But, there were a few negatives:

The drop down bunk over the front comes down very little compared to others I've seen. This results in only about 10-12" over your face when lying on your back. Even less with a pillow under your head.

They do a good job to conceal how cheap the finish materials are but some things are pretty obvious. The driver and co-pilot seats are super cheap. Limited adjustments and the levers to slide and swivel are terrible. One had already been broken off by someone trying to use them.

The single full wall slide lurched when moved in/out which was pretty concerning. The toothed rail visible on the rear facing small slide wall was noticeably bent which is concerning for sure.

The outdoor kitchen is REALLY small but at least it has one (on my "must have" list)

I was really just trying to get a quick look so I didn't look too close. I'm definitely still interested.
I suggest you look at a Vista. We have been happy with ours. My wife loves the bunk over the front seats, the fit and finish is good and the price can be right. Id probably go with a used 17 as it would be on a 6 speed chassis and have the better slide mechanism.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I suggest you look at a Vista. We have been happy with ours. My wife loves the bunk over the front seats, the fit and finish is good and the price can be right. Id probably go with a used 17 as it would be on a 6 speed chassis and have the better slide mechanism.
I have read with interest as I am retiring jan 19 and have been looking at the. Vista LX 35 to FT in. It seems a good choice and they arent too $$$
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #10

I too really wanted to like the Intent. But, for the reasons you mentioned, just couldn't. We had a 2007 Damon Daybreak which didn't give us any trouble in 11 years. We wanted to stay with an "A". Loved the Vista 31BE (I think). Same floorplan as the 31P Intent. The Vista was just more than we were looking to spend. We ended up with a Minnie Winnie (C) 31G which was also the same floorplan, essentially. It was also on par with the Vista for options and quality. Very happy with the choice.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #11

Well, I made the plunge...sure do hope I don't regret or have buyers remorse. We bought a 2018 Intent 30R. So far so good. I have not experience in motorhomes class A, but have loads of experience with our previous popup tent trailers. So for now I am feeling like I am living in luxury. I know it is the least expensive of the Winnebago Class A's and some are saying it isn't great for boon-docking because of the propane tanks? We took our first trip to Big Bear and had an amazing time and really loved the roominess. We are so used to setting up camp for the first hour or more. This took us us less than 20-30 minutes (2 people) with full hook-ups and that was because we had no idea what we were doing and forgot a part..beginners...the leveling jacks worked great.
tmpwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpwalls View Post
Well, I made the plunge...sure do hope I don't regret or have buyers remorse. We bought a 2018 Intent 30R. So far so good. I have not experience in motorhomes class A, but have loads of experience with our previous popup tent trailers. So for now I am feeling like I am living in luxury. I know it is the least expensive of the Winnebago Class A's and some are saying it isn't great for boon-docking because of the propane tanks? We took our first trip to Big Bear and had an amazing time and really loved the roominess. We are so used to setting up camp for the first hour or more. This took us us less than 20-30 minutes (2 people) with full hook-ups and that was because we had no idea what we were doing and forgot a part..beginners...the leveling jacks worked great.
Be sure to come back every so often and give us an update pls... (posting pic's are nice too!)
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:00 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
One distinct advantage to a WBGO product is factory service. The techs there are aware of idiosyncrasies of their product, plus they have all the parts, and suppliers (e.g. Lippert, Ford, etc) have reps on site. We've had numerous brands but enjoy the availability of this service, When we bought our latest (2010 Journey) we told the salesman, "thanks for the good deal, but you'll never see it again"

Skip Y
2010 Journey 40TD
2015 Equinox
WIT 47083, FMCA 263635
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #14

Went on another trip. EVERYTHING went really well. THE A/C unit while driving is not sufficiently cold when driving ...anyone else have this issue?

tmpwalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago