Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Any Winnie Drop Owners on Board?

Just purchased one this week. Now in the driveway awaiting our maiden voyage in a couple weeks. Would like to hear from other Winnie Drop owners. Pictures and reviews would be great...

Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hey Scratch, about to buy a Drop... can you post a pic or describe your towing setup? I have an 07 Toyota Tundra, checking to see if you needed an equalizer hitch or not.

Thanx, Lance
tennisman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hey Lance,
Ford rep advised a weight distribution set up which is what we negotiated for during the purchase process. Couldn't be happier with the way it tows. I was quite surprised considering previous setups where we experienced much more instability with big trucks/cross winds etc.

Our previous pickup had a 3:31 rear end and we pulled a dual axle V nose trailer. It was not a good match. The Sport Trac tow package with 3:73 gears combined with the weight distribution setup made a huge difference in handling even considering the single axle on the Winnie Drop.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Just purchased one this week. Now in the driveway awaiting our maiden voyage in a couple weeks. Would like to hear from other Winnie Drop owners. Pictures and reviews would be great...

Just bought 2017 170s. Upgraded from a TAB. Have a 550 suv rated at 6000 lbs tow. Any experience to advise a sway control?
Annieoakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Hello Annieoakley,
Your SUV rated at 6,000 lbs. tow capacity should have no problems at all. Our small truck's tow capacity is 5,250 lbs. and handles it just fine. It came equipped with factory tow package including sway control, thus, I don't have experience with an after market sway control setup. Highly recommend a weight equalizer hitch. Makes all the difference in the world...

Having a ball with ours. Heading to Marble falls TX. next week for a few days on Lake LBJ...

Old 10-13-2016, 07:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Red fun

Would also like to know if yours is enclosed under. Mine is not. Looks like danger for the white water tank. Rocks and stuff. Curious if the sewer flush is too close to ground. Have you made any modifications yet.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have looked all r-pod and hummingbird but never looked under them so don't know if their undercarriage is covered,
Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes; our 170S is sealed underneath. The sewer drain appears low when you look at it; but we have not had a problem, even traveling over many bumpy & pothole damaged roads. We've owned many trailers and this one has been the most trouble free of any. Winnebago has their act together IMO...
Old 10-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Scratch, what are the benefits for being enclosed. Maybe I need to get it done. Came home today, 30mph cross wind, did feel it some but slowed to 65 and all was well.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:20 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Enclosed undercarriage keeps the critters out and adds some protection to tanks etc. Surprised yours is not sealed. I believe that is standard for all Winnies?

Side Note: Your tires are rated at 65 as top speed. Unless you replace them with a well-respected brand (Maxxi, for example), the stock tires are infamous for blow outs at higher speeds which is why folks refer to them as 'China Bombs' .

Hope you're having lots of fun. We head out on Tuesday, Lord willing...
Old 10-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

My tires are filled with nitrogen. Does that make a difference in anything? Can I put air in them? Brand is Trailer King. 5 lbs under inflated. Are these the China bombs?
Old 10-18-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieoakley View Post
My tires are filled with nitrogen. Does that make a difference in anything? Can I put air in them? Brand is Trailer King. 5 lbs under inflated. Are these the China bombs?
You can add air to your nitro-filled tires. No problem... Almost all travel trailers and 5th wheel rigs come standard with Chinese tires. My tires are also Trailer King. They are made in China and yes; they bear the 'China Bomb' moniker. Just keep 'em inflated to 50lbs and drive at 65 or under and you should be OK. We have several trips on ours, but I do intend to replace them with a set of Maxxis tires in the spring...

Under inflation is biggest contributor to blow outs. Ryobi makes a portable 18V rechargeable mini air compressor, available at Home Depot. Highly recommended.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I picked up a used 2016 white 1780 Looking forward to see others tips and suggestions.

I do have a question...the Drops have LED on the inside only? I noticed that my porch light appeared burnt out and looked like a incandescent bulb when I looked through the lens.

Wayne
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I looked them up. Cheng Shin Rubber Industry Co. is the ninth largest tire company in the world. Established in 1967, in Yuanlin, Taiwan, by Luo Jye. Maxxis is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cheng Shin. Wikipedia. I guess some are better than others?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Mine also had regular light bulb. I like it because is a soft whit or amber. Better than the leds in side
Old 10-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

just got a Winnie drop 1710 and took on 3 day trip to w.v. my main issue , and this is my first camper ever, is the a/c is so loud . annoying to be inside it.is this just the way they are or is this excessive??and my fridge took like 10 hours to get cool on electric. things I don't know about and wonder if its just this way in a camper. the
camper itself seems to be good . thanks
tom311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

All RV AC units are loud, but non-ducted units, like those in the Drop series, are louder IMO. Ours is also quite loud and we eventually acclimated. RV refrigerators take significant time to cool. We normally turn ours on at the house around 6pm the evening prior, so it is cold when we pack in the AM. You can switch to battery during small trips or propane for longer journeys. Hope this helps, and congratulations on your new Winnie.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I called the dealer which is 3 hours away and described the a/c to them and they said it is nature of a 13500 btu a/c.my only question would be if the fan speed could be half the speed would help, but then wonder if the condenser would freeze. thinking about how to make the camper better with a few mods, additions, etc.for sure looking into making a drawer under the dinette. I know it can only e about half the depth but easy access any amount would help. thanks for reply scratch.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I see Ryobi makes 2 cordless air compressors. which one do you have scratch? are they able to blow lines to winterize? I have never done a winterization and not familiar with these cordless compressors.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Lots of complaints of these 13500 btu A/C units being loud in all the trailers they are installed. I want to switch out my bathroom fan to a Maxair version in the spring to help move air in/out of the trailer at night for I won't have to rely on the A/C. Tom one of guys i work with blew out his lines a couple of years ago and didn't get all the water out of a tap and it cracked when it froze. I got a friend that only does blow outs for winterizing as he hates the antifreeze taste on the first trip of the year.
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote