Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Anyone ever move this outlet?

I'm sure this is a long shot, but on my 34H I have the outlet pictured just below and to the rear of my dinette. I want to put a computer - dinette desk here and it looks like it would be right behind the right set of drawers. I would like to either move the 12V and 120V up to the right of the window, or lower and centered in the middle of the desk opening to be usable with the desk.

I would like to eliminate the phone and separate the two outlets to a vertical arraignment along the window. Or just move them lower and left in the first picture.

Anyone try this? Anyone know what is to the right of the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0579.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	94806   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0580.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	94807  

Old 05-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
Anyone try this? Anyone know what is to the right of the window.
There will be framing in the wall down both sides of the window.
You may be able to track the wire to 120v wiring with a live wire finder to see if the wire is already over there.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The factory will send you detailed drawings of the wall construction and wiring routes. My guess is the wires come up from below. If you could get to them from underneath it should be fairly easy to move them over, even if you had to use surface routing. If you pull the covers it might be easy to see which way they come....

Good luck,
Dave
Old 05-21-2015, 06:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

THOSE appear to be surface Mounted.

This means you can lay cable up the wall (Also surface mounted) and cover it with cable cover (Lowes and Home depot sell it) You will need to do something about the remaining holes but should be easy to deal with. I use some of that cable cover here (About six inches) neat stuff.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You can get cord cover at Lowes or Home Depot or Ace or etc.

Run your wire through it and use a new surface mount outlet box.

Easy peasy.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

WGO will have the wiring diagrams on their website for your coach.

Winnebago Product Information | Motorhome & RV Information
Old 05-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Nomad Mike, a couple of things. The wall is filled with high-density block foam
insulation between the bracing. So there is no fishing wires in the wall unless there is a pre-cut channel. The 12 Volt and 110 VAC recept's are mounted on a standoff because the wall is to thin to mount them directly in the wall. You will have to make a new standoff with the recept's vertical and then run the wire up from the basement in surface mount molding.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

FWIW, on my previous coach (2003 34H) I made a shelf with a 3 sided base that was longer on one side so that it fit into the same slot as your table. That gave me a shelf for the printer and space underneath to store the laptop. All of the wires, etc fit behind the shelf between it and the wall below the window, out of sight.

I know that isn't an answer to your question, but it's something that you might want to consider. We never missed the table space.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
FWIW, on my previous coach (2003 34H) I made a shelf with a 3 sided base that was longer on one side so that it fit into the same slot as your table. That gave me a shelf for the printer and space underneath to store the laptop. All of the wires, etc fit behind the shelf between it and the wall below the window, out of sight.

I know that isn't an answer to your question, but it's something that you might want to consider. We never missed the table space.
Do you have any pics of that setup? I'm thinking if building some sort of a cabinet or shelf, either under the table, or in place of the table that is behind the passenger seat.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Do you have any pics of that setup? I'm thinking if building some sort of a cabinet or shelf, either under the table, or in place of the table that is behind the passenger seat.
I agree some pictures would be nice as I was not able to really imagine what it looked like.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Nomad Mike, a couple of things. The wall is filled with high-density block foam
insulation between the bracing. So there is no fishing wires in the wall unless there is a pre-cut channel. The 12 Volt and 110 VAC recept's are mounted on a standoff because the wall is to thin to mount them directly in the wall. You will have to make a new standoff with the recept's vertical and then run the wire up from the basement in surface mount molding.
I noticed that when I pulled the standoff. The wires come from below, but I did not investigate much more.

The spot where I have decided to put it is the location where option 21K would put it - according to the WBGO Body 110v Wire Install diagram. I have 21L - Dining Table and Chairs - the worst of the 3 options available in my opinion. It's a fairly short distance and I'm hoping to figure a way to fish wire that 1 or 2 foot distance.

The other option is to have the desk made to accommodate this outlet.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Here is a pic of where it is at and where I would prefer it to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dining-room-outlet.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	95024  
Old 05-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davel View Post
The factory will send you detailed drawings of the wall construction and wiring routes. My guess is the wires come up from below. If you could get to them from underneath it should be fairly easy to move them over, even if you had to use surface routing. If you pull the covers it might be easy to see which way they come....

Good luck,
Dave
Thanks, I will call them on Tuesday and see what they have over and above the wiring diagrams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
WGO will have the wiring diagrams on their website for your coach.

Winnebago Product Information | Motorhome & RV Information
Thank you, I have them but I probably will need a class on figuring them out Though the more I look at them the more info I'm gleaming from them.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
THOSE appear to be surface Mounted.

This means you can lay cable up the wall (Also surface mounted) and cover it with cable cover (Lowes and Home depot sell it) You will need to do something about the remaining holes but should be easy to deal with. I use some of that cable cover here (About six inches) neat stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieDad View Post
You can get cord cover at Lowes or Home Depot or Ace or etc.

Run your wire through it and use a new surface mount outlet box.

Easy peasy.
Thanks for your help, running a cord cover would probably still interfere with the desk. I want the desk pushed up against the wall and unless there is a gap at the back of the pedestal it will keep the desk off the wall by a half inch or so.

It will be a lot easier once I actually have the desk to determine locations of cord covers and outlets.

I'm waiting on Focal Wood Products to return my call so I can get it on order. Maybe he will have some ideas.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Mike View Post
I agree some pictures would be nice as I was not able to really imagine what it looked like.
I don't have the shelf or the MH any more, but I will try for a better description.

Picture a 3 sided box approximately as wide as the slot that your table retracts into. The 3 sides are level on the top, but the back side is approx. 2 inches taller on the bottom so that the back can be inserted into the table storage slot.

Now add the top of the box. I installed mine about 1 inch lower that the top so that there was a lip to keep things from sliding off. I also added a short lip on the front for the same purpose.

Drill a couple of holes in the back for the cords and put some silicone feet on the 2 sides that rest on the table top and you have my shelf/cubby.

You can build it any size that you want, but being the same width as your table storage slot will keep it from moving around as long as your coach remains upright.

I hope this helps.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote