Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

After much indecision about scaffolding, My neighbor had a section hidden in the weeds with a walk board.
Erected it and pulled the motorhome along side and moved the Moho four times to do the entire length. Cleaned the surface with Acetone and the Eternabond went on as slick as a whistle.

After all the indecision it was a snap. Of course my friend who did it has the patience of Jobe and does outstanding work. His MOHO is next.

Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

After much indecision about scaffolding, My neighbor had a section hidden in the weeds with a walk board.
Erected it and pulled the motorhome along side and moved the Moho four times to do the entire length. Cleaned the surface with Acetone and the Eternabond went on as slick as a whistle.

After all the indecision it was a snap. Of course my friend who did it has the patience of Jobe and does outstanding work. His MOHO is next.

Good Miles
Old 10-07-2008, 02:19 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Did you do the complete side, roof to side wall trim? Or just front and rear cap to roof? What width Eternabond tape did you use?

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V Workhorse Chassis
Old Odyssey Toad
Bayway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Glad to hear it was a snap! I'm going to do ours this winter in AZ, I'm also going to replace that faded third brake light with a 12 inch led bar. Did you use the 2 inch tape?
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I did the roof to sidewall, Used 2" tape.
On my 02 it is not a straight shot from roof to gutter but has a ridge which we molded the tape over and around. When and if I do the front and end caps will use 4" tape. The plateform is the thing, working off a ladder would be horrendous. Good Miles
Old 10-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I restore classic silver Avion travel trailers. We've used Eternabond (aluminum color) for years. VERY easy to apply and looks great because it almost disappears by blending in. For our Itasca, we carry a small roll of 4" white Eternabond - just in case! It can be used for a number of watertight projects. I've seen it used on honeypots, cracked holding tanks, etc. I highly recommend it!

Prior RVs: Avion travel trailer and Itasca Horizon class A
MarkCinCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Sounds as good as the duct tape we used to use on rotor blades. Sounds like a roll should be part of the basic load
Old 10-07-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

DH used it to patch his bicycle tube. So far so good
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I wouldn't exactly say "it's a cinch", but rather it is doable with care. The stuff sticks on contact and once it is stuck it doesn't come unstuck. It's kind of like contact cement, except the tape is flexible and has to be positioned with just the right amount of stretching--not too much.

Anyway, we're glad we did it. We don't even know it is there.
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Dirk, I appreciate your reply and always value your opinion.

My "expert" positioned the bottom edge in the gutter about 3 feet at a time. It remained in the groove and he gently pulled the backing off the Eternabond sticking it under the square part and into the bottom of the gutter as he went and then onto the roof. We used a wooden paint mixer to seal it under the square part and in the gutter and then used the roller to seal it above the square part and onto the roof. Working from the scaffold it took him about a hour to do one side.
Yes it does make a nice job and looks fine. If my Moho did not have the ridge on the gutter (ei: stright from the roof into the bottom of the gutter) it would be a much easier job.Be Safe
Old 10-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a question. In the spring, I had asked my Winnebago dealership to do this to my 2003 Adventurer. Their response was unusual. They said if they applied Eternabond on my roof, it would void the roof's warranty because it is not "approved" by Winnebago. Has anyone else heard this?
Rick Stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Rick, I have not heard about the warranty and Eternabond, not to say it isn't true. However my 02 is long out of warranty and which is the lesser of the two evils? A flapping roof or a taped roof?

If the warranty is in fact voided there are a lot of winnies out there with Eternabond. But if your out of warranty anyway??

Good Miles and Be Safe
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho Rick: In response to the dealer saying that eternabond voids the warranty, the fact is that there is no warranty against the roof becomming detached from the vehicle. The WI response is that it is the responsibility of the owner to inspect and seal the roof so that this won't happen. If it does, then the owner hasn't done it correctly.

I look at eternabond as cheap insureance.

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

While the roof may be warrented for ten years, the seam is not. As Dirk stated Eternabond is good insurance and again many folks have applied it to protect the seam. Good Miles
Old 10-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I have "eternabonded" most of my roof (I still have the driver's side left to do) and the peace of mind that I have received from doing that is priceless. I would rather prevent a leak then find one and then have the warranty repair the damage.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote