Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

AquaHot zone Heating Question

I have a 2016 Grand Tour with 3 Heat/cooling zones. When I turn on zone 2 (kitchen and Living area)the AquaHot heat is working fine. When I turn on Zone 1 (Bedroom and Bath) the air is blowing through the vents but it is cold. The fan is working but not heat.
What should I look for to fix it diagnose?
I have reset the AquaHot unit in the basement compartment.

Thanks in Advance.
Terry J.
tdjackson56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 11:12 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjackson56 View Post
I have a 2016 Grand Tour with 3 Heat/cooling zones. When I turn on zone 2 (kitchen and Living area)the AquaHot heat is working fine. When I turn on Zone 1 (Bedroom and Bath) the air is blowing through the vents but it is cold. The fan is working but not heat.
What should I look for to fix it diagnose?
I have reset the AquaHot unit in the basement compartment.

Thanks in Advance.
Terry J.
I had the exact issue and it turned out to be a defective circulation pump. Look at your Aquahot control panel and see if you see any red lights. Mine was on for the pump...
If you turn all zones on demand (thermostat on high), and put your hands on the aquahot pex tubing to find a line that is not hot, that would be the one with the defective pump... just trace that line into the heater.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:30 AM   #3

Thanks I will try it
Old 11-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sometimes a good 'rap' with the handle of a screwdriver on the pump will get it going if clogged. Also look at spade connectors on the power.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issue and it was the zone 1 check valve. They get stuck in the closed position. A good rap on the check valves can free them up. They told me if you don't exercise the zone at least once a month they can stick. The check valves are right on the output of the tank just before the pump.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:13 AM   #6

I think it might be the check valve and will try the "rap with a screw driver" at our next stopover.
The panel lights all show green and normal. I have not run the Aquahot in about 8 months (since last winter). I hope that is it.
Will keep you posted... Boy I love this website for advice and help.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #7
TTD

I had the same problem but both of my hoses were hot at the aqua hot and the fans at the aqua hot were spinning.

Turns out I had a kinked line where it went into the first heat exchanger... So hot fluid could not flow.

Unfortunately, when I unkinked the line, it revealed a leaking point at the heat exchanger so I had to remove it and get it fixed at a radiator repair shop.

40 bucks later and I was good to go!
TTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #8

Update. I check the circulation Pumps for both zones. They are working fine. I tapped the check valves. What I discovered in troubleshooting is that everything initially starts working fine with hot air flowing out of zone 1 as it should. After about 10 minutes that AquaHot "hose" for that zone starts getting cooler and the air from the fans inside the coach turns cool/cold.. no heat. Zone 2 and the tap hot water for the rest of the coach is working fine. All panel LEDs show green. I reset the Aquahot unit from the circuit breaker under the bed - no change other than it resets something and it works for 10-15 minutes and then turns cools again.
I'll be looking through the manual and on the internet for possible troubleshooting solutions. It seems that a limit switch or something is tripping.. but not sure..
Any help or previous experience with fixing this would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Terry, in zone one, are you saying it turns cold in BOTH bathroom heat exchange vents?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #10

Bill
I checked out "Both" bathrooms and they both initially heat fine and then after 10-15 minutes they cool down as does the bedroom. The living area continues to heat fine putting out about 100 degrees when I checked with my thermometer. I have 2 zones and those areas seem to correspond to the zone diagram that I'm seeing in the AquaHot installation manual on-line.

I also remembered a thread back from June where AquaHot had a bad run of circulation pumps and I'm pretty sure I have 2 of those suspect pumps. I saw where AquaHot put out a service bulletin to have them replaced with part # PLE-100-905-FRU. It's an upgrade pump and kit.

The thing left to verify that being the issue is to put a volt meter on the suspect pump and if I'm get power to the pump but it's not working then it's an intermittent pump issue that seems to stopping once it heats up - just trying to diagnose. I';ll be a little hampered timing wise in my diagnosing today as it's raining in the TN mountains today.
Thanks
TJ
Old 11-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
We're in East TN now at the house. .....it's a great day for frogs and ducks.
Anyway, yes, your pumps may be the originals. Mine were replaced with the ones you mentioned.
Hope your voltage tests gave you some answers today.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:13 AM   #12

Just a follow up to close out this thread.
I tested the voltage going to the circulation pumps in the AquaHot. They were both getting a constant 12V and so I determined that the one pump for the bath/bedroom was working intermittently - an actual pump issue. I ordered new pumps from Aquahot and will replace them when I get home from our trip. The pumps we currently have in our AquaHot 450 DE are the older style (square flanges) and had a TSB referenced against them. Luckily the Grand Tour has 2 heating methods - Aquahot and Heatpumps on the roof (not to mention the fireplace) so we are good for now on our trip. The faucet hot water is working fine. We are good. Thanks for all the help in diagnosing.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjackson56 View Post
Just a follow up to close out this thread.
I tested the voltage going to the circulation pumps in the AquaHot. They were both getting a constant 12V and so I determined that the one pump for the bath/bedroom was working intermittently - an actual pump issue. I ordered new pumps from Aquahot and will replace them when I get home from our trip. The pumps we currently have in our AquaHot 450 DE are the older style (square flanges) and had a TSB referenced against them. Luckily the Grand Tour has 2 heating methods - Aquahot and Heatpumps on the roof (not to mention the fireplace) so we are good for now on our trip. The faucet hot water is working fine. We are good. Thanks for all the help in diagnosing.
Curious, what did you pay for the replacement pump?
Old 11-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #14

Bill
The pumps list for $186 each. However since I have a 3 year Winnebago Warranty on our 2016 Grand Tour (ends next month) and there was a TSB on these specific pumps AquaHot sold them to me for $50 each. I thought that was fair. I could of had Winnebago cover the cost as per the warranty but it was easier to just pay the $100 and get them shipped quickly.I can't praise the Winnebago Service Dept enough for working with me on warranty issues/replacements and I've found that the Winnebago suppliers have been very reasonable with sending any replacements that I've needed.

Tags
heating, heat