Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Auto gen start systems

We have a 2004 Vectra 40AD with the onan 7.5kw quiet generator. Has anyone installed the EC-30W auto start system to this type of setup before? Is it worth the money (I assume a shop has to install it)?

We are not full timers yet and we are getting tired of our batteries dying if it sits for lengthy periods of time. I am looking for a way to keep them topped up during the down times( no place to plug it in while inactive) as well, we like to go places where it is quiet and don't want the batteries dying in the middle of the night.

Cheers

John and Judy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #2

I had an auto start gen in a boat and it was more of a pain. Ended up just starting the gen when I needed it.

Rich

Old 04-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I just bought our 2000 Dynasty. It has the Trace RC7GS (generator start) system. I just got it set up but have not had the opportunity to use it yet. I'll let you know how ours works once used.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #4

I believe that this is the auto start that I put on our 04 Journey about 6 years ago. It was sorta hard there is a lot of wiring to find and spice. I found the information on my Winnebago on line and followed the instructions. I believe they have a wireless unit that plugs into the generator wiring. This would be alot better. I use ours a lot. Very good investment.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

The EC 30 W is a good system, but it's not meant for what you're intending to use it for. Anytime there is no movement for 30 days the system automatically disables itself.

Here's a clip from the owners manual. Page 3-2, Automatic Genset Operation :

"Motion Verifiction"

"The EC-30W maintains a record of the last motion. If the EC-30W doesn't see motion for 30 days it will disable the AGS and prompt the user to reverify the motion by walking on the coach, driving the coach, manually starting the generator, or tapping on the genset module."

Here's a link to the entire owners manual:

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/r...Wmanual-en.pdf

On Edit: The newer system is easy to install. It requires a jumper harness specific to the generator you are using it on. It took about 15 minutes to install it on our Adventurer with the 5500 gas powered generator.

Here's a quote from the EC-30W home page on the Cummins/Onan site:

Introducing the newest RV power generation solution -- Energy Command™ AutoStart . The EC-30W is the first autostart system specifically designed for RV owners to install themselves. This provides worry-free control for most Cummins Onan diesel, gas, or LP generators.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/energyCommandRvParts/
Old 05-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Auto Start

I installed the EC 30W in my MH about 4 years ago, and have been generally happy with it. My use is based on a lot of dry camping, and it has saved a lot of fuel and generator wear, although maybe not so much on the starter.

The hardest part about installation is a good location that has a non inverter fed receptacle within reach of the instalation. This is to sense the presence of shore power.

I have had a few instance of the unit losing communication with the module attached to the generator after periods of being unused (parked at home on shore power). I have to disconnect the control unit battery briefly to reconnect. I sent it back to Onan and they updated the software which helped some. Mine was one of the first ones made and they have probably fixed this by now.

It is really nice to be able to set it up to cycle the AC off and on at night, and to watch the battery level for you. At $600 it may not make sense in your situation.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote