RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Auto Lock feature on E-450

I've tried the forum search engine (and Google) re how to remove the auto-lock feature but can't find anything specific for my E-450 (2006 chassis). As mine is configured, if I start the engine and then step out and shut the door, it locks me out; so I often roll down the driver's window before exiting (+ I now have a spare Ford key in my pocket and one well-hidden in the propane bay.) There are some youtube videos, but they are mostly for Ford pickups and none of those procedures work on my rig. I'd like to get rid of this annoying "locks me out" feature and not have to rely on workarounds. Has anyone done this on a 2006 vintage E-450 chassis? Maybe only a dealer can make it happen?

youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
pull the fuse or trip the curcuit breaker?

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
youracman sounds like you may have a bad lock module. The auto lock should not lock the doors until you have reached around 15 miles per hour.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:02 AM   #4

The current crop of E-450's won't let the door lock if the key is in the ignition.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #5

Have you tried this ?

https://itstillruns.com/disable-ford...s-7420457.html
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, I tried that, twinboat. I have not checked it word-for-word but I believe that is the procedure I saw on youtube. I didn't get the first horn "beep" I was supposed to which (I believe) tells you the computer is "listening and waiting for your program change." I went on to the next step anyway, but never ever got a horn beep of any kind. I will try it again tomorrow. Pretty easy to do all the steps within the 30 sec allowed time (probably takes more like 15 sec) so I don't think that is my problem.
Thx, all.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:04 AM   #7

I don't have a specific answer but the autolock feature got us several times in our 2011 Aspect. My fix was to remove the coach door from the autolock sequence. Had the same problem on our 2006 View, locked out, crawled in through an open window. On those two vehicles I removed the wires from the coach door solenoid which removed that door from autolock - you had to manually lock the coach door and manually unlock it with a key - like it should be IMHO. Now with a 2018 View I have the same "feature". Autolock of chassis doors is tied to the coach door via solenoid in the bottom lock. Oops - now you must go to a MB dealer and have the SAM reprogrammed to remove the coach door solenoid from the autolock nonsense. The coach door is now connected by two relays to the front SAM on the View at least to avoid current overload of SAM during autolock - why not just take the coach door OFF the autolock? Removing the solenoid wires in coach door disables the cab PS door from key fob and autolock as well. Asked my WGO service center to do it and there was a strange distant stare... Oh yeah, I have already been locked out of the '18 View. I know, you must open a door within x seconds, leave it open x seconds and the autolock is not activated by SAM. Guess what, if you step out to fill the tank, do some little thing you forget completely and you are locked out. A "feature" I dislike completely, not necessary to tie the coach door to autolock at all, just not right.

Slight hijack but somewhat on topic! For those who have not experienced the thrill of lockout just wait for it. You might get lucky for a year or more but it will bite you. I now have spare keys wired to an open space in the '18 View. Oh, not bashing WGO solely. Both our new cars do the same thing, autolock happens but...they allow the customer/driver to disable the thing with a process in the owner's manual.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
kayak 70: "................... My fix was to remove the coach door from the auto lock sequence. Had the same problem on our 2006 View, locked out, crawled in through an open window. On those two vehicles I removed the wires from the coach door solenoid which removed that door from auto lock - you had to manually lock the coach door and manually unlock it with a key - like it should be IMHO."

Tried the procedure posted by twinboat 3 times today. Same as before with the youtube instructions, namely, no success......not even one horn beep.

SOoooo I am probably gonna put the "snip the coach door lock solenoid feed" mentioned by kayak 70 on the "to do" list. Manually locking the coach will work for me.

Thanks again, guys. ed s