RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2018, 11:32 PM   #1

Automatic Steps

Is there a way to make your steps NOT come out when you open the entry door?

I built a staircase for the DW & my old dog. If the steps canít be made to stay retracted, then I will have to modify my staircase.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2018, 11:44 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cut the motor wires.
Usually it's not possible to stop them from coming out, it's a safety hazard if the steps aren't there and someone steps out....into nothing. My late wife did that on an earlier rig, hurt her back in the fall.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
Member since 2005

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
Is there a way to make your steps NOT come out when you open the entry door?

I built a staircase for the DW & my old dog. If the steps canít be made to stay retracted, then I will have to modify my staircase.
The steps are usually hot wired to the coach battery. Disconnect that wire or at the other end where it plugs into the motor.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Put a magnet near the magnetic sensor on the screen door. We do it every time we use the electric chair lift for our 95 yr old mom since the chair lift cannot be used with the steps deployed.

The steps will likely be deployed when the door is open but will immediately close when the magnet is in place. They will reopen when the magnet is removed.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:31 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
You may have a fuse for the step motor..

On my 1999 Southwind, the 25 amp step fuse is located in the BCC.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
RKL

Moxxie. Usually there is an on/off switch near the entry door fot outdoor lights, awning etc. with the door closed press switch to off. They should stay retracted when door is open. May take several tries to set it. You can reverse this to have steps remain open when door is closed. With door open and steps out, turn off switch and close door. Steps should stay open until switch is turned back on .. RKL
Old 05-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Moxxie. Usually there is an on/off switch near the entry door fot outdoor lights, awning etc. with the door closed press switch to off. They should stay retracted when door is open. May take several tries to set it. You can reverse this to have steps remain open when door is closed. With door open and steps out, turn off switch and close door. Steps should stay open until switch is turned back on .. RKL
Ours will not do this no matter the switch position, perhaps some will but on ours the steps will open when the door opens. The steps will retract no matter switch position when the engine is started. On ours the on/off switch only keeps the steps from closing if stopped and engine off.

The only real way I know for most steps is what I described earlier. Ask any company that sells chair or seat lifts how do you get the open steps out of the way so you can use the lift and they will all give you a magnet. It is far simpler and safer to do than disconnecting wiring and risking stepping out without the steps deployed.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #8

I like George's suggestion the best, but in my case, if I need the steps to stay in when the door is opened, there's a switch setting I can use that does that for me. One simple switch next to the door. My '94 Bounder had the same setup. It's for tech's use I think so they can work around the door without the step in the way. I found it useful all the time...like when I'd park next to a curb and didn't want to harm the step if opening the door would extend it into or onto the curb.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steps