Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #1

awning unfurling

27N Sunstar 2014. The awning will unfurl while in storage. Recall on this for earlier made models so Dometic will not address the problem on this coach because it's not within their date time.
Has Anyone else had a similar problem?
Metta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2018, 02:07 PM   #2

Sorry to hear that. ..but to me a recall is a recall if it's the same brand and model

That could be a old new stock awning on the newer coach. ...

I would at least put up a fight, ya never no
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnuts View Post
Sorry to hear that. ..but to me a recall is a recall if it's the same brand and model

That could be a old new stock awning on the newer coach. ...

I would at least put up a fight, ya never no

^^^^^^ Agree ^^^^^^

Or: You could just install one of these Save Your RV Awning with an RV Awning Travel Lock! as many forum members have done (including me.) That way you are protected from dangerous unfurling (AKA "billowing") in strong side winds.....in addition to solving your storage unfurling problem. 'Tis a good safety device...well made and easy to install.

Safe travels.................. ed s
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Probably a different issue, but I just finished rebuilding my A&E 8500 awning. We had it billow on us coming out of Yellowstone last summer. Fabric was nearly 20 years old, so I wasn't too torn up about it.

During the rebuild process, I learned a lot about my awning. First, it wasn't tensioned nearly enough. With the awning down, it should have had 14 turns on the spring - was closer to 7. Also, mine has a lock on the forward spring. Apparently, around 2003 Dometic changed the lock design. I could see why - the original design was pretty crappy; a steel knurled pawl riding on an aluminum wheel with humps on it. The wheel had been worn slick and was useless. The new design is more like a ratchet with the pawl engaging a toothed gear.

I wound up replacing both torsion spring assemblies in addition to the fabric. After the rebuild, the awning functions much better and locks solidly against the coach. I did pick up a couple of Camco velcro straps for good measure.

You didn't mention which model awning you have, but it it's anything like the 8500, then I'd definitely check the spring tension. Google the model number and you'll find instructions on the web.

Good luck!
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot View Post
Probably a different issue, but I just finished rebuilding my A&E 8500 awning. We had it billow on us coming out of Yellowstone last summer. Fabric was nearly 20 years old, so I wasn't too torn up about it.

During the rebuild process, I learned a lot about my awning. First, it wasn't tensioned nearly enough. With the awning down, it should have had 14 turns on the spring - was closer to 7. Also, mine has a lock on the forward spring. Apparently, around 2003 Dometic changed the lock design. I could see why - the original design was pretty crappy; a steel knurled pawl riding on an aluminum wheel with humps on it. The wheel had been worn slick and was useless. The new design is more like a ratchet with the pawl engaging a toothed gear.

I wound up replacing both torsion spring assemblies in addition to the fabric. After the rebuild, the awning functions much better and locks solidly against the coach. I did pick up a couple of Camco velcro straps for good measure.

You didn't mention which model awning you have, but it it's anything like the 8500, then I'd definitely check the spring tension. Google the model number and you'll find instructions on the web.

Good luck!
Dude! I hate my 8500 because of the horrible design. After owning a Colorado Fiesta and seeing how they should be made, this A&E is a disappointment.

In the case of this one, it's probably over tightened as it wants to roll up far too aggressively. Thanks for the heads up though. I'll keep glancing at mine as I travel the roads. Sure would like to dump it though.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning