Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

OK, it's been a year getting the coach ready to go and we are on our first outing. We love the floorplan and am impressed with some of the little touches Winnebago has included. Everything seems to be working well----except the basement AC. I have read and reread all the posts and still have a question.

A couple of you have had this problem, however I am not sure what the final fix was. The AC works down to about 75 then shuts down and starts to short cycle after a couple of minutes. Someone mentioned the thermister inside the coils another the thermostat. Can anyone say they had this problem and what fix did the trick?

As I said, we really like this coach. It is our first used coach after 4 new ones (Fleetwood and Monaco) and are looking forward to getting back on the road 1/2 time this fall.

Thanks for any help. Hope you all had a great weekend.

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

OK, it's been a year getting the coach ready to go and we are on our first outing. We love the floorplan and am impressed with some of the little touches Winnebago has included. Everything seems to be working well----except the basement AC. I have read and reread all the posts and still have a question.

A couple of you have had this problem, however I am not sure what the final fix was. The AC works down to about 75 then shuts down and starts to short cycle after a couple of minutes. Someone mentioned the thermister inside the coils another the thermostat. Can anyone say they had this problem and what fix did the trick?

As I said, we really like this coach. It is our first used coach after 4 new ones (Fleetwood and Monaco) and are looking forward to getting back on the road 1/2 time this fall.

Thanks for any help. Hope you all had a great weekend.

John
Old 05-28-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

What do you mean by short cycle?

It is suppose to cycle on and off as needed just like at home. Make sure the vents are not blowing on the thermistat. This will cause it not to run as long as it should.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #4

John, yes, you will need to move your thermistor as in my thread HERE. This has nothing to do with the thermostat. Once you move your thermistor, you will have no more short cycling.

If you need more help, PM me.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:44 AM   #5

John, check your PM's....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Tom and Mark,

Tom, the short cycle happens when the temp reaches about 75 and the unit shuts down for a minute and comes back on for a minute and so on.

Mark, thanks for your info. It sounds like that may be the problem. I was just at K&C in Longmont and had the Koni shocks installed there and some other stuff done. I am going to give them a call and see when I can get back in. Thanks again.

Have a great summer, everyone!

John
Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

John: Also check the AC air filter, I'm suprised how dirty the filter gets in such a short time. Enjoy your travels.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Hey Gary! Your back! How's the new leasure time working out??

We now return you to your normal thread......

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Gary----
Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Like Gary say's, check you're filter. I'm guilty of not checking it since we bought the MH in Dec. I just removed it and it wasn't a pretty sight, allthough it wasn't as bad as I thought. The good news is the filter cost .52 cents each at Home Depot . I bought a years worth. It felt good buying something that doesn't involve a credit card. You're supposed to change them monthly if used a lot.
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee:
Like Gary say's, check you're filter. I'm guilty of not checking it since we bought the MH in Dec. I just removed it and it wasn't a pretty sight, allthough it wasn't as bad as I thought. The good news is the filter cost .52 cents each at Home Depot . I bought a years worth. It felt good buying something that doesn't involve a credit card. You're supposed to change them monthly if used a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

and if you use your basement A/C while driving down the road...that inside filter accumulates road dust quicker. Need to change air filter on Gen Set too when operating on the road. Again...road dust from tires etc.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:25 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Excuse my naivety but are the filters you are referring to like the ones at home and if so where is it located in the MH?

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slowdragon:
Excuse my naivety but are the filters you are referring to like the ones at home and if so where is it located in the MH? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The basement A/C filter in my Itasca 35U is under the bed... I lift the bed up and there is a small 15x22 " thin plywood cover with a finger hole. I pull up the cover to access a 14"-20" filter exactly the same as installed in most residential home furnace.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Slowdragon:
Excuse my naivety but are the filters you are referring to like the ones at home and if so where is it located in the MH? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are exactly like the home filters. Mine is also under the bed as Pubtym say's. The best thing is they cost .52 cents each. I don't think there is anything cheaper.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fakrwee:

They are exactly like the home filters. Mine is also under the bed as Pubtym say's. The best thing is they cost .52 cents each. I don't think there is anything cheaper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I buy a higher capacity filter at Walmart in hardware section..$3-5 each but keeps dust out from cool air outlets pretty good.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Mine is under the bed on the passenger side of the MH. Easy to get to. The frame for it is part of the bed support on that side.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:06 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I buy a higher capacity filter at Walmart in hardware section..$3-5 each but keeps dust out from cool air outlets pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Pubtym, How long do they last and what is the major advantage. The.52 ones are supposed to be changed every 30 days. With $5.00 I can almost buy 10.
Old 06-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Major advantage is the increased filtration of dust..pollen particles etc...cleaner overall inside air space. They are accordion type/ layered construction so there's a larger working surface area than cheaper ones. Mine last 2-3 months. The old saying " You get what you pay for"...
Old 06-02-2007, 12:11 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
Major advantage is the increased filtration of dust..pollen particles etc...cleaner overall inside air space. They are accordion type/ layered construction so there's a larger working surface area than cheaper ones. Mine last 2-3 months. The old saying " You get what you pay for"... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your cooling coils won't get dirty as fast either when you use a good filter. That keeps the unit running at peak efficiency, reduces the frequency/cost of having the coils cleaned and adds to its life.

When you replace the filter it is a good time to inspect the coils. On my 35U you can easily see the coils with the aid of a good flashlight and now that I have them clean an occasional spritz with some self rinsing coil cleaner is all it takes to keep them that way. Self rinsing coil cleaner is available at the Home Depot type stores as either an aerosol, pump spray or bulk product that you put in your own sprayer. Just follow the directions on the label. Some light encouragement with a new toilet brush, (That means one that has never seen or actually been near to a toilet. This can be a very important issue with the wife.) may be required the first time.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:58 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

I have a 36G and my filter is right next to the head of the bed on the curb side. It's between the bed and the night stand. Feel around on the pedestal there for a hole in the floor. Lift it up and there is the filter.

They do get cruddy pretty quick.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote