Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #1

I just ordered an '08 Adventurer 37B with basement air. Wondered how those who have gone from the traditional roof mounted air to this system have found it for efficiency (especially on hot days), noise and overall performance. Secondly, can the air conditioning be controlled in each room like with the dual mounted roof units with separate thermostats (as in my '04 Brave)?

2012 Winnebago View 24M
NEW BERN RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2007, 10:32 AM   #2

I just ordered an '08 Adventurer 37B with basement air. Wondered how those who have gone from the traditional roof mounted air to this system have found it for efficiency (especially on hot days), noise and overall performance. Secondly, can the air conditioning be controlled in each room like with the dual mounted roof units with separate thermostats (as in my '04 Brave)?

2012 Winnebago View 24M
NEW BERN RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #3

I really like the basement air, but I am concerned when it comes to repairs because sometimes it needs to be dropped. I think I can install a roof unit myself. As for noise it is much better. When I had a class c I could not hear conversations or the tv with the air on. As for control, I hve to flip the ceiling vents into th closed position and that is how I control the ac per room. Hope that helps
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:06 PM   #4

We really like our basement air/heat pump, and have found it to work very well in very hot weather. I have seen one removed several times. It isn't all that difficult, but does require a wheeled cart just the right height, or a fork lift. The cart works very well, and the last one I saw removed the tech didn't even disconnect the wiring. He just pulled it out onto the little cart, and rotated the cart to leave the wiring attached. There was plenty of wiring to allow that to happen. I know from experience, if you pay someone to remove it, the labor just to remove it and put it back will be $300 or more. (Unless you are attached to a Winnebago dealer due to warranty issues, the best way to find a qualified repair place is to check the RVP website for the area where you are. We found some very talented RVP techs in a little RV shop in Branson MO that way.

As Peter indicates, you have only one unit (even though it has two compressors), so you have only one thermostat to control it. Closing vents in one room would be a good way to control temps from one end to the other, but of course the thermostat will operate based on when IT is located rather than where YOU are.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Congratulations on the new MH.

On our 37B, the heat from the television confuses the thermostat. I work around it and I try not to get into hot parts of the country so the basement air is adequate. Maybe the new 37B has a different setup.

I've read that some person added a roof air but they lived in AZ through the summer.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats on you're new MH. It's a great floor plan. Enjoy.

I was in Las Vegas last week and the temp went up to 107. The basement air worked great. It kept the inside temp at 75. Both compressors were going continuosly for 3 days with no problems. I had just changed the air filter and I'm sure that helped a lot. I also have outside window shades that keep a lot of the radiant heat out.

Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote