Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #41
Winnie-Wise

azloafer, how did you electrically tie in your roof air? Is it integrated into the EMS?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #42
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudman View Post
azloafer, how did you electrically tie in your roof air? Is it integrated into the EMS?

Thudman
Yes, it is tied into the EMS. I think that I sent you a private message regarding that. I was out camping for a few days. Hope the message was clear enough. Joe
Old 08-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-tip View Post
How many amps do you pull with the basement AC and roof top AC running? I am not always able to get a 50 amp hookup. I would expect 27 amps max from basement AC and 16 amps max from roof top AC. I would estimate about 43 amps with both running. Just wondering if I am close to actual amps.
The EMS only shows the amps being used when using the generator, but I think the basement unit is about 24 amps and the roof unit about 13 or 14. I was out this past weekend and using shore power so it didn't show amps used on the EMS, BUT I had both on high one day and used the TV and microwave without shedding anything. I recall that the dealer, who installed it, had both running on high and turned on the microwave to show that it read about 47 amps being used. My generator (6000W) puts out 50 amps. Happy travels, Joe
Old 08-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

don't know if this has been stated on this thread about Winnies ducting. I was looking at a 2005 Vectra, and the inside roof covering was off and you could look up into the ducting system, all Winnie did was cut a channel in the rough foam.

This method has to slow the air flow down. I would have expected better of them.

Phelpo
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
No amp reading on shore power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
The EMS only shows the amps being used when using the generator, but I think the basement unit is about 24 amps and the roof unit about 13 or 14. I was out this past weekend and using shore power so it didn't show amps used on the EMS, BUT I had both on high one day and used the TV and microwave without shedding anything. I recall that the dealer, who installed it, had both running on high and turned on the microwave to show that it read about 47 amps being used. My generator (6000W) puts out 50 amps. Happy travels, Joe
In my rig (30 amp) I'll get readings of 27-28 amps when the basement air is on but on generator, there's a direct 20 amp feed to the 2nd compressor so I only get 17 amp reading on the EMS panel. Sounds just the opposite of what you're getting. Is that something that is conducive to 50 amp units?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

I've noticed in my '03 39' Journey that there are 2 ducts in the ceiling running back to front. Each duct has 6 vents. Interestingly, there are only 2 vents (one in each duct) in the bedroom. I've noticed that airflow is better at the front of the rig than at the back (probably because the air has no where else to go) and that the bedroom is noticeably warmer than the remainder of the rig. This could be partly because the return air is ducted in the bedroom and all of the return air eventually flows front to back and into the bedroom.

Has anyone considered adding extra vents? I'd like to consider this in the bedroom - 1 or 2 extra. I suspect it's as simple as using a hole saw to drill the hole and adding a vent plate.

Any thoughts?
lpasekof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #47
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilhog View Post
In my rig (30 amp) I'll get readings of 27-28 amps when the basement air is on but on generator, there's a direct 20 amp feed to the 2nd compressor so I only get 17 amp reading on the EMS panel. Sounds just the opposite of what you're getting. Is that something that is conducive to 50 amp units?
I don't know the answer to that question. I only know what the EMS read when on generator. Maybe someone else, with electrical smarts, will come up with the answer. I can read the amp usage when on generator, other than that I am lost. Joe
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #48
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-tip View Post
How many amps do you pull with the basement AC and roof top AC running? I am not always able to get a 50 amp hookup. I would expect 27 amps max from basement AC and 16 amps max from roof top AC. I would estimate about 43 amps with both running. Just wondering if I am close to actual amps.
I believe mine was 35 or 36 amps with the basement air and the roof air running on high. Adding the TV and the Micro, the EMS showed 48 amps being used. Joe
Old 08-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

Additional

I've been considering adding at least 2 more outlets. I'm looking for the part numbers for the outlets and any mounting brackets they might need. The bedroom is considerably warmer then the front.

Anyone have the part numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpasekof View Post
I've noticed in my '03 39' Journey that there are 2 ducts in the ceiling running back to front. Each duct has 6 vents. Interestingly, there are only 2 vents (one in each duct) in the bedroom. I've noticed that airflow is better at the front of the rig than at the back (probably because the air has no where else to go) and that the bedroom is noticeably warmer than the remainder of the rig. This could be partly because the return air is ducted in the bedroom and all of the return air eventually flows front to back and into the bedroom.

Has anyone considered adding extra vents? I'd like to consider this in the bedroom - 1 or 2 extra. I suspect it's as simple as using a hole saw to drill the hole and adding a vent plate.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Check these guys out for the vents. The AC vents are near the end. RV ROOF VENTS, COVERS, REPLACEMENT PARTS
Old 08-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Just finished installing my Coleman Mach 3 PS roof top unit. Went smooth. Took me ablut 6 hours. I ran it to a dedicated breaker that I added. Hardest part is snaking the wires. It blows ice cold air!! Hopefully my days of sweating in the rv are over!!
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #52
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardalo View Post
Just finished installing my Coleman Mach 3 PS roof top unit. Went smooth. Took me ablut 6 hours. I ran it to a dedicated breaker that I added. Hardest part is snaking the wires. It blows ice cold air!! Hopefully my days of sweating in the rv are over!!
Just for future reference, how did you lift the new Coleman unit up onto the roof?

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #53
Winnebago Owner

I carried it up a little giant ladder. i went backwards and a friend followed holding it from behind. when i got to top, i lifted on to blanket. it was much easier than i thought. its actually not that heavy.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

I just had a thought about air flow and how to improve it on hot days, what about
placing a strong fan in front of the return and run it on high. Wouldn't this help push
the air through the coach a/c vents?

I am a new owner of a 2004 Vectra and can't figure out how to change my profile...must be age.
Phelpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

I am a little at a loss with all the posts about "airflow" on basement airs.
Why does no one talk about temperature at the intake (return air filter) compared to the temperature of the "first" vent? "Air flow" isn't near as important as what the unit does with respect to change in temperature between input and output! The effeciency of any air conditioner is measured by that difference, not the CFM (cubic feet per minute) that the squirrel cage produces. IMHO.

stik
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #56
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stik View Post
I am a little at a loss with all the posts about "airflow" on basement airs.
Why does no one talk about temperature at the intake (return air filter) compared to the temperature of the "first" vent? "Air flow" isn't near as important as what the unit does with respect to change in temperature between input and output! The efficiency of any air conditioner is measured by that difference, not the CFM (cubic feet per minute) that the squirrel cage produces. IMHO.

That topic has been thoroughly discussed in many of these posts. The reason for the comments regarding air flow is because even if the air is cold enough it has to be blown out of the vents with enough strength to cool the coach. In my case following the owner's manual and changing from fancy pleated filters to the simple, cheap spun glass filters helped the air flow. Everytime I read that manual I learn something new and the same goes for this forum. Joe
Old 08-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #57
Winnebago Camper

Back in Maine if I had installed a 100,000 BTU furnace in a house that had a heat loss of 200,000 BTU'S I would not be able to get away with "It's working as designed"! I would have to replace the furnace with a 300.000 btu unit. That is why air flow is as important as air temp. differential is. Air in could be zero degrees, but if you only get one CFM it is not going to do much good!
joatmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #58
Winnebago Master

Thanks joatmon,

I couldn’t have said it better. I firmly believe that those that are having trouble have poor airflow, as we did. Now that the airflow is up where it should be, we have no problem keeping cool at over 5000 feet and 100 degrees. I do plan on acquiring an anemometer so I can report air speed from the vents as well as the air return.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #59
Winnebago Camper

Re: Air Flow issues - I've been experimenting with the airflow in my rig. I've noted that the air ducts in the rig run back to front but not all vents are directly in line with the duct. The vents in the bedroom, bathroom and toilet are actually 90 degrees to the duct whereas the vents in the front 2/3s are vented directly into the duct.

The vents in the rear section of the RV get VERY little airflow the front 2/3 isn't too bad. I've been experimenting by adding "diverters" into the airflow in the main duct area to try to divert air into the vents that hang off at 90 degrees without reducing the airflow too much to the front. I put them in yesterday and will be on the road this weekend to test. My preliminary tests have been very positive but I do need to get hold of an anemometer to obtain emperical data on airflow.

I suspect, because of the poor airflow in the rear, the majority of my cooling in the rear is from air flow moving front to back as return air - which means I have to cool the entire front before the back starts to cool.

We'll see the result after this weekend.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

How did, and out of what, and what do the diverters look like and how did you install them.

I would really like to know.

A lot of hows!