Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air Unit 2001 Adventurer

While camping at Quartzsite this past week, we turned on the heat pump using the generator. It worked fine for a while, then the power weakened substantially but then came back on to full power. It did it again and then an odor came through the vents. It smelled sort of electrical, hard to describe actually. We shut down the unit and haven't started it since. We got home this afternoon and called our mechanic. He admits he's not real knowledgeable on basement air units, but agreed to look at it. I thought I'd start with this forum. Any ideas as to what might be going on? Compressor maybe?

Thanks.
Betty
rdoghse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Here's a start. Duner did a great job posting here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/base...ure-42567.html
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

When you say "it worked fine for a while" do you mean a couple minutes or half an hour or so? If it was only a couple minutes I'm guessing you burnt out the #2 start capacitor or possibly the #2 compressor itself. The capacitors are accessible by swinging up the louvered door (held in place by a couple screws). Once the door is up you can open the small panel near the rear of the coach. If it's a capicator it should be pretty obvious. The wires are usually burnt and the end is black.

If it is a capicator it's a common part found at most RV dealers and AC repair shops. You'll need to either take it with you or get the numbers off it to be sure you get the properreplacement
Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like your start capacitor and PTSC is bad on #1 or #2 compressor. In heat pump mode both compressors always operate.

I would first check the PTSC device (small black square) on top of the black start capacitors located in the basement unit. You can tell if one is bad, it will be blown out, burnt, where the connector exits.

P/N 8333A9021 is usually found at many rv parts places, it contains a start cap & PTSC. They use them on roof air units when customers install small gensets.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We had to replace the capacitors in ours several years ago. They had melted and burned the wires also. It is a pretty straightfoward fix once you have the parts.
GrandpaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your replies. I found a qualified repair shop to diagnose/repair it.
Betty
Old 02-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoghse View Post
Thank you for your replies. I found a qualified repair shop to diagnose/repair it.
Betty
Hi Betty,

I looked at your profile but I don't see what year your Adventurer is. Can you post here what yr it is and then put it in your profile and/or your signature. It will help us give you more specific suggestions and comments.

If you go to the link in my signature below, you can download the procedure I wrote. I suggest you get it and print it out so your rv repair guy has a better idea of what's involved if he has to remove the basement unit to get inside. 15 minutes reading the procedure may save you 2-3 hrs of labor charges if he does not have a lot of experience on the basement units.

If the problem is just the starting caps, then you don't have to remove the whole unit.

If your coach is 2004 (like mine) or older, then there is a chance that there are issues inside the unit with the outdoor blower bearings and metal squirrel cage..... these parts wear and with metal fatigue and need to be replaced. That's what my repair procedure is all about. A heck of a lot of forum member have used the step-by-step photos to save a hundreds of dollars and avoided much frustration. RV techs that are good on roof units run into trouble on basement units until they experience the issues first-hand.

I had a fun time at the Quartzsite RV show too.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum,
Bill
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Duner. There was an earlier post by DonavonP with a link to your step-by-step photo journal. I printed it and took it to my mechanic. He was quite impressed. Thanks for your message.

Betty
2001 Adventurer 35B
Old 02-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The issue with my basement air was a burned out start capacitor. It got replaced and now the unit is working perfectly again. Thanks to all for the information.

Betty
2001 Adventurer 35B