Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 05:57 AM   #1

Basement heat?

I have a 2000 Itasca with basement air. Question is heat pump and gas furnace. I understand when on electric heat setting only the heat pump comes on, unless it's too cold! Sometime both work together, sometimes only gas furnace comes on, sometimes only heat pump comes on! There is no rhyme or reason in relationship to temperature outside with mine! I'm wondering if I'm have an issue I need to look at.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
I have a 2000 Itasca with basement air. Question is heat pump and gas furnace. I understand when on electric heat setting only the heat pump comes on, unless it's too cold! Sometime both work together, sometimes only gas furnace comes on, sometimes only heat pump comes on! There is no rhyme or reason in relationship to temperature outside with mine! I'm wondering if I'm have an issue I need to look at.
There are several possible operating scenarios when the heat pump is selected to provide heat.

First of all it will only work down to the mid 30's. The exact temperature is somewhat dependent on the humidity of the outside air. General rule of thumb would be that it will operate down to about 37*F However given that it's an air to air heat exchanger it won't be very efficient near the shut off temperature.

Secondly for only the heat pump to operate the set temperature must be within 2 degrees of the ambient temperature. If the ambient temperature in the coach falls more than 2* below the set temperature the gas furnace will come on to assist. Once the temperature is within the 2* window the gas furnace will shut down and let the heat pump work solo.

If the outdoor temperature falls below the working range of the heat pump the heat pump will try to operate 3 times before the system locks it out. Then the gas furnace will take over and the heat pump will remain locked out for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Here's a link to a publication from Winnebago explaining how and when the system works.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...ditioning).pdf

At the bottom of the second page is an algorithm explaining what functions will take place under what circumstances.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Our heat pump will work down to 34 .... sometimes .... or 45 other times. I think humidity might have something to do with it but I don't know.

I put in a toggle switch which prevents the gas heat from coming on completely. If it's going to be too cold for the fireplace and little electric heater in the bedroom I just throw the switch and the gas operates

There was a thread on which wire to have go through the switch a few years ago. I think it was the yellow one>
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #4

Cousin Ed, your yellow wire is the furnace compartment?

Question two. So if your too cool, your heat pumps don't come on at all?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
No, the wire is at the thermostat, but I did it so long ago I might have you cutting the wrong wire.
When it's too cold the heat pump doesn't work period.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #6

The information above is good. The gas furnace is the 2nd stage heat for the coach. As long as the heat pump can keep the temperature with the 2 deg of set temp, the gas won't come on. The tstat will allow the gas heat to supplement 3 times and will then lockout the heat pump for the above mentioned time. Then the cycle will begin again.

There is another incident when the heat pump will shut down. When the outdoor coil gets cold enough to open the outdoor thermister, the unit will operate on gas only. BUT, the LP furnace will only operate between 45 and 60 deg, not the set temp. At this point the tstat should be switched to gas.

Tags
heat