RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

Basement Heat Problems

Last trip had a problem with our basement heating system although we turned thermostat to electric heat it appeared to be running on Propane instead anyone had this problem, I'm thinking it maybe the thermostat that is not changing state probably dirty contacts will check that out first any Idea's would be appreciated I'm hoping I don't have to pull the basement heat pump unit to fix this. Thanks in advance for your idea's
Kindest Regards hope you all have a wonderful New Year.

onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

You need to add the year/make/model of your coach for better assistance. Also, what was the outside temp and what did you have the thermostat set for? In general, if the outside temp is near or below 40 the heat pump will automatically switch to propane. Other factors can also cause the change, such as the difference between the inside temp and the thermostat setting. Before you start pulling parts please give us more info. It could likely be that the heat pump is working exactly as it should.

emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Last trip had a problem with our basement heating system although we turned thermostat to electric heat it appeared to be running on Propane instead anyone had this problem, I'm thinking it maybe the thermostat that is not changing state probably dirty contacts will check that out first any Idea's would be appreciated I'm hoping I don't have to pull the basement heat pump unit to fix this. Thanks in advance for your idea's
Kindest Regards hope you all have a wonderful New Year.
If there is a large difference between the set point and the current temp, it is normal for the propane to fire.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes please fill out your Signature so we can help you better.
Aslo what the others have stated: Your system is setup to use the Heat pump when placed in Electric only if the inside temp and the requested temp are within 5 degrees of each other. When yo first turn it on it will run the Heat Pump and if it does not get to temperature with in 5 minutes it will kick in the regular furnace to get the temperature up there and then it will attempt to maintain temp with the Heat Pump. But if it can't then it will run the regular heater to maintain temp. Also as stated, if the temp is too low the Heat Pump is inefficient and won't work anyway. You may even cause it to freeze up.
So please fill in the Signature and give us more data and if already solved then let us know what the fix was. Others would like to know.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:39 PM   #5

onebrit

Hi guys you are amazing, I'll answer first post My coach is a Winnebago 33ft 2007 Voyage. We were camping in VA outside temps were around 30 degrees and a little lower some nights. Happens that my knowledge on how this heating system actually worked was obviously limited given it was one of my systems I hadn't had to repair or mess with always kept us warm and cozy. I never noticed before when I was on electric if in fact it switched to gas which obviously it did as my gas level diminished over two week period which now based on what you have told me was probably normal if that's the case I don't think I have a problem.
Any further advise on this system is always appreciated.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all.
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are just here to help. Also did you know that the Owners manual addresses this issue. If you don't have the Original Owners manual you can download all of the books, schematics, piping drawings and stuff from the Winnebago site. If you don't have it I recommend you get it because they help with repairs.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Hi guys you are amazing, I'll answer first post My coach is a Winnebago 33ft 2007 Voyage. We were camping in VA outside temps were around 30 degrees and a little lower some nights. Happens that my knowledge on how this heating system actually worked was obviously limited given it was one of my systems I hadn't had to repair or mess with always kept us warm and cozy. I never noticed before when I was on electric if in fact it switched to gas which obviously it did as my gas level diminished over two week period which now based on what you have told me was probably normal if that's the case I don't think I have a problem.
Any further advise on this system is always appreciated.

Thanks again and Happy New Year to all.
That is normal operation for a basement air/heat unit. In fact, it states on my heat type selection switch "when inside temperature is 45 or less the LP furnace will run". The owners manual says when outside temperature is below approx. 40 the LP furnace will run instead of heat pump.

As to the inside delta, my heat pump will run regardless of setting difference, ie: both LP and heat pump run until indoor temp rises above 45, some others report theirs will not.
The most common cause of irratic thermostat operation is corroded terminals/connections on the back of the thermostat.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote