RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Bashed rear bumper

On a trip to Utah, I made a too tight U turn with my Jeep toad and bashed in the right rear bumper of my 2006 Itasca Sunova 26P Class A. Its a three part bumper and in contacting a winnebago parts supplier he said the cost was $975 for just this right end! I wonder if anyone here has a recommendation for a good RV salvage yard or any ideas on an alternative. Here is a photo of the damaged part attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190925_173322.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	263060  

Gpanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 04:43 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Make sure you check your tow bar VERY closely!

I made a tight turn like that once with my Jeep although did not make impact. However, about 250 miles down the road, my tow bar cracked (Blue Ox) while I was doing 65mph on I-95. I was fortunately able to get both RV and Jeep to the side of the road.

The tight turn had stressed the tow bar enough to form a small crack that got bigger over time.

RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:29 PM   #3

Check with visionerv.com or colawrvsalvage.com
I think both salvage yards are in KY.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpanek View Post
On a trip to Utah, I made a too tight U turn with my Jeep toad and bashed in the right rear bumper of my 2006 Itasca Sunova 26P Class A. Its a three part bumper and in contacting a winnebago parts supplier he said the cost was $975 for just this right end! I wonder if anyone here has a recommendation for a good RV salvage yard or any ideas on an alternative. Here is a photo of the damaged part attached.
Hi
I have had a few vehicle damage things happen in the span of my life, and have carried reasonable repairs myself. I think if the damage on the side of your coach isn't to bad I would try and repair yourself unless you are not practically skilled. Fiber Glass is fairly easy to work with if you wish to close a large hole a wire mesh can span the void and give fiber glass something to attach to and adds strength to the patch once all holes and gaps are filled sand to blend shape needed add filler where necessary. With patients you can save yourself a lot of time and money. A photo of the side damage would be interesting to see and would show complete extent of damage.
Hope this helps
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Check with visionerv.com or colawrvsalvage.com
I think both salvage yards are in KY.
Thanks, I sent out a request to both.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebrit View Post
Hi
I have had a few vehicle damage things happen in the span of my life, and have carried reasonable repairs myself. I think if the damage on the side of your coach isn't to bad I would try and repair yourself unless you are not practically skilled. Fiber Glass is fairly easy to work with if you wish to close a large hole a wire mesh can span the void and give fiber glass something to attach to and adds strength to the patch once all holes and gaps are filled sand to blend shape needed add filler where necessary. With patients you can save yourself a lot of time and money. A photo of the side damage would be interesting to see and would show complete extent of damage.
Hope this helps
Onebrit
I dont know how good I would be at working with fiberglass but if I cant find a used one I just may try. Maybe look up body repair on youtube to learn how. There is no other damage to the body of the rv side, only the plastic bumper. Thanks
Old 10-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might look into a longer draw-bar. I had a friend who towed an SUV behind his fifth wheel and got a longer draw bar after damaging both front corners of the SUV dur to tight turns.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpanek View Post
I dont know how good I would be at working with fiberglass but if I cant find a used one I just may try. Maybe look up body repair on youtube to learn how. There is no other damage to the body of the rv side, only the plastic bumper. Thanks
Onebrit again
You are absolutely capable of using fiber glass, as you said look at U tube video's it will give you confidence. You can't make it worse you can buy wire mesh from most hard ware store's use a duct tape to hold on inside/backside area of damage if it is rough on the inside of bumper it is fiber glass if so clean the area and coat the ends of mesh with fiberglass product and let set up now you'll have something solid to work with just coat the mesh untill you have a solid backing making sure you follow existing shape you may have to do a segment at a time looking at your damage I'm pretty sure your bumper is fiber glass not plastic as my coach is but you will have to check for sure as products to repair may be slightly different. Don't give up if you do most of the work and feel its starting to look like it should you could ask a body shop if they would finish it up and paint for you, although I bought my coach paint on line and it did a pretty good job. Parts of the damaged fiber glass will need to be removed or sanded taking old paint off this gives the filling product something to adhere to.
Good luck hope this helps might save you a lot of running around I hope.
Onebrit

onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote