Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2019, 11:15 AM   #1

Batteries not holding charge.

Let our Granddaughter and her husband use the RV to camp at the coast, all was well when they left we thought. Now that they have been there since Sun. the coach batteries are not staying charged and they have had to jump to start generator. It will charge but the next morning the batteries are dead. Where they are camping has no hook ups. I would not have let them take it if I new there was a problem but it has been plugged in to 110 most of the time at home.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

P.S. My husband has Alzheimer's and can no longer help with the RV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
switch the refrigerator to gas and if it has a inverter make sure the water heater is turned to gas also. Tell them about the aux start switch on the dash so they don't need to jumper the generator.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #3

Based on your situation, the batteries may need water, or replacing, if they are old.

Where on the coast are they staying?
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #4

Pismo N. Campground
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #5

Many things affect battery life and state of charge. Age, how well they are maintained, and the amount of use your granddaughter and her hubby are trying to get out of them each day, and the amount of charge they're putting back in each day. They should be running the generator 3 to 4 hours twice a day to recharge the batteries.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #6

RVs are complicated systems, especially when changing from shore power/water to batter/genny & tanks, and even the most seasoned RV'r fogets to flip the right switch.
I recommend they try to find a neighbor veteran RV'r for help/advice to make sure they have everything set correctly and show them how to check the batteries, manage their usage, plan their genny run time, etc. (most RV'rs love to help each other).
Even things like improper flushing can ruin/shorten an otherwise great vacation.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:12 PM   #7

I'm in San Luis Obispo, and was going to try to run down there, but I can't work it in at this time. If they want to call me, I can ask some better questions and try to give them some guidance.

PM me if you want my number.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #8

Grandson and his father opened the batteries, there were dry cells. Went and got the distilled water and filled them running the gen. most of the day to see if they will recover or not.
It was my fault because I haven't learned how to manage the batteries when not in use. I have a wonderful nephew that can help me with that so I don't make the same mistake.
Thank you to all of you for your help. Best people in the world on this site.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:23 AM   #9

A system like this, plus the related hand pump will make maintaining your batteries much easier -

Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill RV Edition 2 Battery Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FCAXT0..._3RRvDb2M13QPX

Tags
batteries