Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery CCA

The dealer gave me two replacement house batteries. (new)
They are 12 volt with 1,000 CCA. (cold cranking amps)
are not listed.
I have never seen a 1,000 CCA battery.
My question is - are these to powerful to use in a 2010 Sightseer.
Will they damage the electronics in the coach.
Thanks
Mike In NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Well the quick answer is yes, the batteries will not hurt your electronics. 12VDC is 12VDC and having more of it to use is good.

I have re-purposed a 1986 Rockwood and one of the first things I did was replace the original Group 27 Starting Lighting and Ignition batteries with four deep cycle batteries to provide more capacity. But I live in my rig full time.
OldToolmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

You want cca batteries to start the engine. The house should be deep cycle with a amp hour rating. If you mean starting batteries, as long as its 12 volt, the cca can be more then needed, with out problems.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike In NY View Post
The dealer gave me two replacement house batteries. (new)
They are 12 volt with 1,000 CCA. (cold cranking amps)
are not listed.
I have never seen a 1,000 CCA battery.
My question is - are these to powerful to use in a 2010 Sightseer.
Will they damage the electronics in the coach.
Thanks
If the dealer gave you batteries with a 1000 Cold Cranking Amp rating they're in all likelihood chassis batteries meant for starting the engine not house batteries. Deep cell batteries aren't generally rated for CCA, and I've never seen a dual purpose battery in a group 29 or 31 (the sizes most commonly used by Winnebago for the Sightseer and Adventurer lines) with more than 700 cold cranking amps.

If they aren't identified as deep cycle or dual purpose batteries they will not take continual discharge and charge cycles very long without failing. They won't hurt anything in the coach, but they won't last nearly as long as a true deep cycle battery. If you always use the motorhome where there's electrical hookups you'll probably be all right. However if you boon dock and run the batteries down they'll probably have a very short lifespan.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

CCA (cold cranking amps) is the maximum current the battery can deliver at zero degrees (F)

Cranking amps (CA) is the maximum at Freezing (0C)

Both are meaningless when it comes to house batteries, all that is important is Amp Hours, you want as many of those as you can get.

No, those batteries will not harm anything (less you short something out), but 1000 CCA does not translate well.. I used to have a jump pack rated at 1,000 peak amps (CA) but the battery inside was less than 30 amp hours.

On the other hand, my GC2 pair, is 230 amp hours, and I strongly suspect the CCA on them if it were calcualted would be in the 1000 range.

But for House batteries CCA (And CA) are meaning less, ignore them.

How much current will your electronics pull? Only as much as they need (So long as they are working properly).

I can draw a parallel if you need it,
Old 12-27-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

"My question is - are these to powerful to use in a 2010 Sightseer.
Will they damage the electronics in the coach."

The KISS answer, the type I understand best, is batteries only store the amps for devices to use. They don't push out the amps, the devices pull (withdraw) what they need. Therefore the CCA does not make any battery more or less "powerful" to damage the electronics.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Larson View Post
"My question is - are these to powerful to use in a 2010 Sightseer.
Will they damage the electronics in the coach."

The KISS answer, the type I understand best, is batteries only store the amps for devices to use. They don't push out the amps, the devices pull (withdraw) what they need. Therefore the CCA does not make any battery more or less "powerful" to damage the electronics.
You have the wrong type of battery for house. Because of the nature of the battery it will not last long. KISS= no. It will not hurt anything in your coach. You will simply have to replace them again in a couple of years. Please read the following site: Deep Cycle Battery FAQ

I would NEVER accept start batteries for replacements. Deep cycle batteries are designed to take the frequent discharge/charge cycle demands house batteries are subjected to. A start battery does its job in less than 30 seconds and is then refreshed by the alternator. House batteries can discharge to a lower voltage and be recharged more often than a start battery.

Again, your electronics are safe with what you have but your wallet isn't.

Rick Y
Old 12-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

As jerichorick says these high CCA batteries will not harm your vehicle, but will not last very long before they fail. Totally the wrong type of battery for your house application.

Send them back and ask for proper deep cycle batteries.
Elictrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Finding DEEP CYCLE 12 volt batteries can be hard to do in smaller sizes (Once you get to truly big ones like 4D or 8D yes) shop Golf Car stores for them, or Trolling batteries would be my best suggestion.

This is part of the reason the most common HOUSE battery is a pair of GC-2 Golf Car Six Volts, they are DEEP CYCLE and 6+6 makes one BIG 12 volt battery,, IN fact it makes a 4D but is way easier to wrangle due to being 2 pieces.

Treat the pair exactly as though they were one 12 volt battery. (Except during installation and removal you can lift out only half of that 12 volt battery at a time,, can't do that with a genuine 4D)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

The 6Vx2 or 12V discussion always is fun to watch. In any cubic foot area the available dimensions are you have to work with. aH's is a factor of the spec of the battery that is chosen to fit the space. ie: Lest say I have room for 2 group 31 batteries. The footprint I have is 14"x14"x11.5". Two Lifeline GPL-31XT batteries in parallel are rated at 125aH each which gives a 20hr rating of 250aH. The GPL-4CT will fit the space and is rated at 220aH. Two in series now give you 12V at 220aH. You are loosing aH in that footprint. (I used this chart for reference: Lifeline Batteries - Marine & RV Deep Cycle Batteries) This is a good place to see if you gain or loose.

Happy trail.

Rick Y

Tags
battery