Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Battery Charging

Wife and I bought a 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F floor plan a week ago. Now have it at an RV Storage place plugged into 110/115 volt AC to keep batteries charged. Should the chassis and house battery disconnect switches be on or off?

Spadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If you have shore power, leave the disconnect switches set to 'ON.' They are only turned off when storing without shore power available.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to dwaynederose Send a message via AIM to dwaynederose
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadman View Post
Wife and I bought a 2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F floor plan a week ago. Now have it at an RV Storage place plugged into 110/115 volt AC to keep batteries charged. Should the chassis and house battery disconnect switches be on or off?
I had 5 new batteries installed today, 3 new deep cycle for the coach and 2 chassis batteries on my Journey. I kept mine plugged in all the time. The installer told me to NOT keep the MH plugged into shore power all the time. This keeps the batteries charged yet they fail prematurely as they do not cycle up and down. He suggested monitoring the voltage (probably monthly) and if it gets close to 11.5 volts, plug it into to recharge the batteries. Everything in the coach is again working like new again.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynederose View Post
I had 5 new batteries installed today, 3 new deep cycle for the coach and 2 chassis batteries on my Journey. I kept mine plugged in all the time. The installer told me to NOT keep the MH plugged into shore power all the time. This keeps the batteries charged yet they fail prematurely as they do not cycle up and down. He suggested monitoring the voltage (probably monthly) and if it gets close to 11.5 volts, plug it into to recharge the batteries. Everything in the coach is again working like new again.
I think your installer is trying to sell and install more batteries! The general rule of thumb is not to let batteries fall below 50% state of charge. That does NOT mean a 12v battery can be run down to 6v, but to about 12.06v

Your installer's suggestion to run them down to 11.5v would be at about the 18-20% state of charge, far too low for healthy battery life!

Unless you're running a battery-powered forklift 50% is about as low as you should go.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-22-2018, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
2X.....on this but it is best if the batteries are kept above 12.1V (50%).

After wrecking more than a few batteries by leaving them plugged into a 3 stage (bulk, absorb, float) converter I'll either charge and check to make sure the batteries are holding 12.6V-12.8V after being disconnected then leave them for 2 months or use a BATTERY CHARGER that stops charging (not maintain) and goes into standby.

We are taking about lead acid batteries arn't we
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Your installer doesn't know anything about batteries !
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think your installer is trying to sell and install more batteries! The general rule of thumb is not to let batteries fall below 50% state of charge. That does NOT mean a 12v battery can be run down to 6v, but to about 12.06v

Your installer's suggestion to run them down to 11.5v would be at about the 18-20% state of charge, far too low for healthy battery life!

Unless you're running a battery-powered forklift 50% is about as low as you should go.
Your Battery guy needs to update his knowledge.
I think he is basing this on some of the older chargers, they would sometimes over charge your batteries and ruin them.

I don't think any of the new ones will do that, and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Your Battery guy needs to update his knowledge.
I think he is basing this on some of the older chargers, they would sometimes over charge your batteries and ruin them.

I don't think any of the new ones will do that, and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

DTW
Agreed..
What your install guy SHOULD have said is that it totally depends on the charger. The Dimensions chargers are known for boiling batteries, that's one of the reasons why people get rid of them. Not knowing what charging system you have, this is the #1 question before anyone can render an opinion further

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Agreed..
Not knowing what charging system you have, this is the #1 question before anyone can render an opinion further

Why didn't I thinking of that
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:07 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spadman View Post
This is what I do as the manual says "Do not leave MH plugged in during storage."

Information:
If your batteries are new and up to voltage they should show 12.6 Volts, or close. Older batteries may show less voltage but should not be below 12.1 Volts. Batteries have a limited life both in time in service, and charge and discharge cycles. Batteries should be clean, filled to fill line with distilled water, and only charged with a supplemental battery charger when disconnected from the coach at the battery terminal.

If your batteries check good, turn off your switches and leave MH unplugged.

Once every 4 to 6 weeks I turn on both switches and plug in MH for a day or two. I also start generator and let that run for 20 min or so ( this will also charge batteries). Then turn off switches. You may or may not want to check voltage fyi and confirm your battery condition.

Note: When plugged in, or generator running, or engine running, batteries will be charged by their respective systems and read 13.55 to 14 volts as they will be charging. This voltage will boil your batteries dry over time, sulfate your plates, and ruin your batteries. When your MH is in use and you are drawing amps from your bank, the batteries will charge without negative results except as stated above "time in service, and charge and discharge cycles" this is to be expected and considered normal wear.

Read your manual and enjoy!
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Most modern RVs have battery chargers that monitor the battery's state of charge and will not 'boil your batteries' but will reduce the charging rate as the battery comes up to full state of charge. If you have a charger that will not step down charge rate, I'd suggest you save up and buy a better charger, one with a maintenance charge level. A good, modern, charger CAN be left connected full time.

Leaving the RV for 4 to 6 weeks may be too long an interval, depending on your RV and how really 'disconnected' your battery disconnect switches are. In my case, the chassis disconnect will work with 100% disconnect over as long as 5 months, but the house system will discharge to a damaging level after 3 weeks unless I physically disconnect the battery at the posts with knife switches. Many modern RVs, with remote door locks, ECU and other power draining electronics may be the opposite, draining the chassis system faster. You'll have to explore and experiment with your own RV to find out.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I carefully reread my manual and the 4 to 6 week charge interval is most likely to long as the gentleman stated. Winnebago recommends checking the voltage every 3 weeks and charging via shore power, generator, or driving if needed. The recommended storage procedure is to turn off the battery disconnect switches. Even though the manual states that the converter has a step down charger, adjusting the amperage or charge rate depending on the discharge state of the batteries and then trickle charges when batteries reach full charge, the manual states at least 4 times " Do not leave the shoreline plugged in during storage. Follow regular inspection and maintenance." Could be its a CYA thing but batteries due sulfate if they remain warm and even a trickle or float charge produces heat.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:44 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Super View Post
I carefully reread my manual and the 4 to 6 week charge interval is most likely to long as the gentleman stated. Winnebago recommends checking the voltage every 3 weeks and charging via shore power, generator, or driving if needed. The recommended storage procedure is to turn off the battery disconnect switches. Even though the manual states that the converter has a step down charger, adjusting the amperage or charge rate depending on the discharge state of the batteries and then trickle charges when batteries reach full charge, the manual states at least 4 times " Do not leave the shoreline plugged in during storage. Follow regular inspection and maintenance." Could be its a CYA thing but batteries due sulfate if they remain warm and even a trickle or float charge produces heat.
Evidently, you didn't read the linked article about battery charging. You mentioned 3 different types of battery chargers, Trickle, Float, and 'step-down'. The link was to a maintenance*charger, which in addition to only giving the battery a charge rate to maintain it, also gives a desulfating*pulse to prevent the plates*from degrading. This would not be possible if the battery was disconnected for long periods of time. As I previously stated, save up and buy a proper MAINTENANCE charger, one that can be left connected when in storage. Your batteries, and your wallet will benefit from the investment in such a charger.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #14

Lots of talk, but OP hasn't been back. His 2013 Winnebago has a Schumacher SARVC 55, a single stage 55 amp converter/charger (originally - if not replaced). It's under the counter in the back bathroom.

Not 100% sure, as Winnebago doesn't post 12 volt wiring diagrams for that year, but in slightly older Winnebagos, the battery disconnect switch would disconnect the house batteries from everything, no charging would take place.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging