Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Safety precaution -- I took my engine batteries to my shop to recharge on our work bench -- they were on a trickle charger for several hours -- one of my employees was doing some metal fabrication about 12 ft. away --- we think a spark from a grinder got to the vent on the battery and "KA --- BOOM ! !)-- Blew the battery up --- no one hurt. Talking to the battery guy, -- he asked me if the water was low (increase gas while charging) -- I said it was a "Maintenance Free" battery -- He said "NO" and showed me how the entire sticker/label on the Interstate Battery covered the smooth top on the battery -- and underneath the label was the traditional cap to check the water level -- VERY DECEPTIVE !!!! -- Two points here, -- keep sparks away while charging bateries & you may or maynot have a maintenace free battery!!! Bill
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Safety precaution -- I took my engine batteries to my shop to recharge on our work bench -- they were on a trickle charger for several hours -- one of my employees was doing some metal fabrication about 12 ft. away --- we think a spark from a grinder got to the vent on the battery and "KA --- BOOM ! !)-- Blew the battery up --- no one hurt. Talking to the battery guy, -- he asked me if the water was low (increase gas while charging) -- I said it was a "Maintenance Free" battery -- He said "NO" and showed me how the entire sticker/label on the Interstate Battery covered the smooth top on the battery -- and underneath the label was the traditional cap to check the water level -- VERY DECEPTIVE !!!! -- Two points here, -- keep sparks away while charging bateries & you may or maynot have a maintenace free battery!!! Bill
Old 04-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Okay - let's talk about "maintenance free" and gel/AGM batteries.

Just because the top of the battery is completely flat has absolutely no bearing or significance about what kind of battery it is. As Bill discovered, many batteries that 'appear' to be sealed and really traditional flooded-cell batteries. To me this is nothing more than marketing "excesses."

If the battery doesn't specifically say it is an AGM or Gel battery, it is a traditional flooded-cell battery and it can and will gas with an overcharge AND you need to be sure it has adequate water.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the entire sticker/label on the Interstate Battery covered the smooth top on the battery -- and underneath the label was the traditional cap to check the water level </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's deception.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The deceptive part is to let anyone think that a "Maintenance Free" battery will not have any evaporation of the h2o component of the electrolyte. The failure of a lead/acid battery is most often due to the electrolyte level being reduced and the plates oxidizing. In doing so hydrogen gas forms in the cavity left by the lower electrolyte level and the introduction of a spark will most often result in a battery explosion. The discharge cycle is the most likely source of the hydrogen gas.

Since you said it was an Inter-State battery, I am assuming that it was not the chassis, but one of the house batteries. I have utilized the threaded plugs to check the electrolyte levels and as required to add distilled water. If possible, before charging one should always check the electrolyte level. As fenceman and I have discovered, as well as did the crew of the Hindenburg, hydrogen is explosive.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

It was one of the engine batteries. I'm installing a very low voltage battery tender hooked to 110V. to keep engine batteries up when unit is plugged in -- found out the hard way that engine batteries are not charged when plugged into shore power.

Bill
Old 04-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geechee:
The deceptive part is to let anyone think that a "Maintenance Free" battery will not have any evaporation of the h2o component of the electrolyte. The failure of a lead/acid battery is most often due to the electrolyte level being reduced and the plates oxidizing. In doing so hydrogen gas forms in the cavity left by the lower electrolyte level and the introduction of a spark will most often result in a battery explosion. The discharge cycle is the most likely source of the hydrogen gas.

Since you said it was an Inter-State battery, I am assuming that it was not the chassis, but one of the house batteries. I have utilized the threaded plugs to check the electrolyte levels and as required to add distilled water. If possible, before charging one should always check the electrolyte level. As fenceman and I have discovered, as well as did the crew of the Hindenburg, hydrogen is explosive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The condensators on a maintenance free battery only slow things down but do not fully arrest the evaporation of water. It is a false security that maintenance free batteries will last longer and not need maintenance. Some have hidden caps that even if you exposed them will self destruct or irreparably damage the top of the battery if you try to remove them.

As for the Hinedenburg I found this interesting:

http://www.adayinthejourney.com/the_...gen_and_t.html
Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

My two Interstate 31-MHD batteries were installed at the time of purchase (furnished and paid for by the dealer) as the origianl starter batteries had failed. Soon after I began looking for the filler holes. I called Interstate and they told me about the plastic cover and that it was removeable and the battery could be maintained. He told me that these batteries are sold primarily to the trucking industry and that they did not maintain them but just replaced them.

I will admit that I am going down the same avenue because access to the filler holes cannot be done without removing the very heavy duty wiring. However, now I may need to reconsider given the explosive potential of the hydrogen gas. Thanks for the info,

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Thanks NeilV, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As for the Hindenburg I found this interesting: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually saw the ETV program and still reflected back to my seventh grade history class for the analogy to the Hindenburg. FIFO, I guess I will have to redo the file system in the old brain. To paraphrase Paul Harvey 'now we know the rest of the story'.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I went over to the MH today and rediscovered there isn't any free lunch! My Interstate 31-MHD Workaholic "sealed" batteries were installed 9/27/06. Based on the previous comments I decided today I should take a closer look. To access the starter batteries, because of the heavy cabling running across them, I had to disconnect the cable mount from the battery stud. At least this arrangement allows me to leave the cables all connected to the cable mount. I lifted the two batteries out of the battery tray and set them on the pavement and pealed back the back edge of the plastic Workaholic label cover. That is the strip along where the date punch holes are located. The battery filler caps are located under this plastic strip. There are two caps, one for each set of three filler holes. The caps lifted out with the gentle pry of a screwdriver and I wasn't too surprised to find the batteries in deed in need of many big gulps of distilled water. They have not been watered for seven months. Apparently the Workaholic art work on the plastic cover put a hex on my brain and convinced me that adding water wasn't necessary. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

I can see no way to add water with the batteries in place. Since I use the flow-rite battery filler system on my two back house batteries I tried to determine some way to install that filler system. But the edges of both the positive and negative cable mounts cross over the filler caps which means they would probably interfere with the flow rite caps. So until I design a better plan, I will have to remove the batteries to fill them. As long as I have a good back, it's just a little extra work. Hm... AGM batteries might eventually be in my future!

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote