Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Battery Isolator Location?

I am considering purchasing a Trik-L-Start for my 2017 Winnebago Sunstar(Vista) 29VE. The instructions say it is best to install at the Battery Isolator rather than directly to the batteries. So now my question is, where is this battery isolator located on my coach?

Or, from what I have been reading lately, it might be possible that my coach already has a Trik-L-Start installed, and I won't have to worry about it at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On our 27N, its located behind the 12v circuit breaker panel. Our circuit breaker panel is located in a small exterior compartment on the drivers side of the coach.

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
On our 27N, its located behind the 12v circuit breaker panel. Our circuit breaker panel is located in a small exterior compartment on the drivers side of the coach.

David
2013 Vista 27N
Mine has the same panel. Do you know if it already has the Trik-L-Start installed there? I have read some things that lead me to believe there may be one already installed.
Old 11-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

A Trik-L-Start was not installed on mine. There is a device called a battery isolation manager that is installed. It appears to perform a function similar to the Trik-L-Start. This is what is in our coach. ( hopefully it gets attached)

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 00-10021-000-Battery-Isolation-Manager-RevF.pdf (81.1 KB, 345 views)
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I think Vista LX models got the isolation manager, and the regular Vistas did not. Wiring diagrams are missing the 29VE model, so it's a little hard to say for sure.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Well,
I don't know the coaches you're referring to but, there's a pretty simple test to see if you have ANYTHING that charges either or both sets of batteries, with or without the engine running and on shore power. And that is, the use of a VOM or, Volt Ohm Meter. Take a reading of all the batteries BEFORE plugging into shore power. Then, plug in and take another reading, pretty simple.

Do the same for engine operations. Leave the engine off and take a reading of all of them. Then, start the engine and take the readings again, if you have more voltage on both sets after the engine starts or, after you plug into shore power, you have whatever system Winne installed to handle the charging duties of both sets for both conditions.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

On my 2015 Vista 27N when on shore power and converter charger is outputting 13.6 volts there will also be 13.6 volts on the chassis battery so it is a bi-directional isolation manager. That's what you can do is after being off shore power and not driving for a few hours, read your chassis battery voltage and if it's less than 13 volts you are ready to do the experiment to see if you need a Trickle Charger. If you connect to shore power and the chassis voltage rises to mid 13 volt range then you have a bi-directional isolation manager and are good to go. If the chassis voltage does not change you have a directional isolation manager and the trickle charger on the chassis battery would be beneficial.

Other option is if your RV has dual salesmen switches marked chassis and coach you can hit the chassis salesman switch and it removes all loads from the chassis battery except for the electric step control board and the isolation manager control board and the chassis battery will lose stored energy very slowly and can still still start your RV even 8 - 12 weeks later.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

LarryJB, drawing shows you have the standard Isolation Relay not the Isolation Manager Relay. It is located behind the breaker panel in the compartment on the driver's side behind the front tire.
You will need to install the Trik-L-Start to keep your chassis battery charged when connect to shore power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27VHE Isolation realy.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	144407  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Perfect! Thanks! This is what I suspected all along.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:37 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

BTW grtharris, where did you get that drawing?
Old 11-15-2016, 05:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

LarryJB, here is the link to the resources available from Winnebago online. The picture came from the Parts Catalog for your coach.
The software is a bit of a pain to get loaded and working. I'm running Windows 7 using Internet Explorer 11 in compatibility mode on my desktop computer.

Winnebago Industries
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I just ordered the Trik-L-Start. I think I will mount it on the breaker panel plate. I will drill a hole big enough to run the 3 wires through and it will be either above or to the left or right of the row of breakers depending on space. This will give me easy access to the led lights and I won't have to route the wires in difficult ways.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
The software is a bit of a pain to get loaded and working. I'm running Windows 7 using Internet Explorer 11 in compatibility mode on my desktop computer.

Winnebago Industries

I went to the site and I am just not going to be a good candidate to use that viewer. I use Windows 10 AND I have Firefox. I may try it anyway, but am not very optimistic.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I just ordered the Trik-L-Start. I think I will mount it on the breaker panel plate. I will drill a hole big enough to run the 3 wires through and it will be either above or to the left or right of the row of breakers depending on space. This will give me easy access to the led lights and I won't have to route the wires in difficult ways.
LarryB
I mounted my Amp-L-Start in a very similar fashion to what you're describing. It was very easy to set up and, mount. I took maybe, oh, around an hour for the whole operation just 'cause I was in no hurry and I'm anal about how I want things.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cat