Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #1

Battery Minder or Battery Tender?

Class A Ford F10 with 4 Group 31 Deep Cycle Batteries - a typical setup. Question is which is best for me to buy - a Battery Minder or Battery Tender?
Our MH will set in our driveway until spring.

Thanks
2018 Winnebago Vista LX (first time buyer)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
sparkie47, what model is your Vista LX. Looks like you do not need either. Looks like the 2018 Vista LX's have a good smart converter and a Battery Isolation Relay. Just plug your coach into a 15 or 20 amp 120VAC recept and it will take care of keeping both your coach and chassis batteries charged.
Note: Do not disconnect either of the batteries with the Battery Disconnect switches.

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you have shut down the refrigerator until spring, then I suggest you operate both the coach and chassis disconnect switches this will take your battery drain on coach and chassis batteries very low. You will lose only a few percent of charge per week.

About once a month you should exercise your generator and run your coach V10 engine for about 1/2 hour. Kill two birds with one stone. Turn on both the coach and chassis switches. Start and run the coach and the generator for 1/2 hour to an hour. This will top off your batteries.

If you have the OEM NAPA Deep Cycle / Marine coach batteries then you can maximize their life by installing a BatteryMINDer® Model OBD-12: 12V On-Board Desulfator. This is not a charger but a device that operates during battery charging that applies high frequency pulses across the coach batteries to dissolve battery sulfation extending battery life.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
sparkie47, what model is your Vista LX. Looks like you do not need either. Looks like the 2018 Vista LX's have a good smart converter and a Battery Isolation Relay. Just plug your coach into a 15 or 20 amp 120VAC recept and it will take care of keeping both your coach and chassis batteries charged.
Note: Do not disconnect either of the batteries with the Battery Disconnect switches.
35F is the floor plan, thanks
Old 11-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #5

Is there a difference between a batty Minder and Tender?
Or just a brand?
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Battery Minder and Battery Tender are basically the same.. Competing products, Nothing to recommend one over the other.. I have both, the one I use is a "Tender" but it is not your run of the mill "Store over winter" job. it's a big "Jump start the car" job. Done it too.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #7

I am a bit on the slow side since this is all new....should I not use the battery disconnect switches located by the door entrance at all. I was told to turn them to off when not using the MH.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #8

For short term non-use, use the switches to shut things down. BUT, you still have numerous phantom draws on the batteries...safety circuits, engine and tranni memories, radio memory, many electronic devices. So check and drive the RV once a month for 20 minutes.

For long term non-use, just disconnect the battery grounds until spring after servicing the batteries for winter.

For long term refer life in typical use scenarios try to keep the RV plugged into AC if you can. You can potentially get decades of use. If you shut down the RV after every trip, you'll likely get 7 years or so out of the refer before major repair is necessary. There's a long story about why that is, involves condensate building up on the coils when you shut it off, and rust spots developing. Causing leaks eventually.

"Is there a difference between a batty Minder and Tender? "

I think it's marketing but the minder is basically a float charger that throttles back when it's charged the battery so it won't overcharge, and a tender is a device that also has a de-sulfication circuit.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post

I think it's marketing but the minder is basically a float charger that throttles back when it's charged the battery so it won't overcharge, and a tender is a device that also has a de-sulfication circuit.
Both of my batteryMINDers have de-sulfication circuits. Model 2012-AGM 12v-2amp is specifically for my AGM batteries, charges/maintains up to 6 at the same time. The other one I have is for a wet cell battery.

Check out: WWW.batteryMINDers.com
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Both of my batteryMINDers have de-sulfication circuits. Model 2012-AGM 12v-2amp is specifically for my AGM batteries, charges/maintains all 4 (up to 6) at the same time. The other one I have is for a wet cell battery.

Check out: Avoid Battery Sulfation with a Desulfating Battery Charger | BatteryMINDers
I should have said "my guess is that...".

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I should have said "my guess is that...".

No harm, No foul.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #12

Quote:
For short term non-use, use the switches to shut things down. BUT, you still have numerous phantom draws on the batteries...safety circuits, engine and tranni memories, radio memory, many electronic devices. So check and drive the RV once a month for 20 minutes.

For long term non-use, just disconnect the battery grounds until spring after servicing the batteries for winter.

For long term refer life in typical use scenarios try to keep the RV plugged into AC if you can. You can potentially get decades of use. If you shut down the RV after every trip, you'll likely get 7 years or so out of the refer before major repair is necessary. There's a long story about why that is, involves condensate building up on the coils when you shut it off, and rust spots developing. Causing leaks eventually.

Jim are you saying that I should leave the refrigerator ON while plugged into 15 or 30 amp? I have always left the batteries on and the coach plugged into shore power when I'm not on a trip, but if we're home for more than a week or two we empty the fridge, wash it out and leave it OFF with the doors open. Are you saying this is not good?

Thanks

Stan
Old 11-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #13

I forgot to add that we park the coach for three or four months in winter. Always plugged in with the batteries all ON and an Amp-L-Start running. In Manitoba the winters can be quite cold and certainly well below freezing temps for November to April.

Stan

Tags
battery