Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Battery parallel cables

Does any here know where to get these cable jumpers, used for paralleling batteries? They have a threaded stud and cap nut, for additional cables, and insulated terminal covers. I'd like to find these same ones.

Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Captbill,
Yes Sir, I have the same exact ones. I do a pretty good job of keeping up on my battery situation, both house and chassis. I changed from 3 12V Deep cycle (sort of) Interstates to (4) 6V Golf Cart batteries and re-wired the entire system to a lot cleaner situation.

Then, since my chassis batteries looked like a Dallas freeway interchange, I decided to re-wire it, as "Tim Allen" would say. It too is now a seriously cleaner setup than before.

But, one day, well over a year after I'd done all that nice work, I was getting ready for a trip and did a battery inspection just a day prior to take-off. Low and behold, those cables, the ones you're showing in your pics, didn't look all that good. So, I removed them for closer inspection. What I found out was, the corrosion, had wormed its way "inside" that rubber. Well, I had two choices. One, try and do what you're attempting to do and that's locate some more of them or, do something with the ones I've got.

I figured, what the heck, if I screw them up, I'd have to get new ones anyway. So, what I did was, slice the rubber, in a thin line, enough so I could peel back and remove the entire rubber end. Wow, what a mess under there. But, some nice work with some baking soda, some wire brushing, a little sand paper, and those came out good as new. Then, me and the rubber sleeves went to war. I used what ever means possible to clean them out. When done, they too were better than new.

So, I re-installed them back onto the cables and taped them in place. But, I also put some dielectric grease inside them to postpone the possibility of more corrosion at a much later date. They've been like that now for over 6 months and they look fantastic. So, there's a suggestion if you'd like to think about it. The total process of removal, cleaning of the cables, and cleaning of the batteries and tray, about an hour and a half. The cost, about .50 in materials. Just a suggestion Partner.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Scott, that corrosion under the rubber jacket is exactly what I have found, on the red cable. I didn't do a close inspection on the black one, as it looked fairly good on the end I had removed. So I was just going to replace the red cable. Now you have inspired me to remove them completely, "peel", and do the cleaning and reassemble.

I searched all oe the web for these things, (but I had not yet called Winnebago.. that was next), and could not find them. If the copper plate with the threaded stud is not cooroded away, then I keep them in service. Thanks for the tip.
Indian River, De
Old 05-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Captbill,
Well Sir, glad I could be of some assistance here. The way I figure it, if I can make do with what's in place, repair it, alter it, change the way it works, etc. but all the while saving money for DIESEL, I'm a little better off. Just dip the whole thing in a mix of baking soda and let it sit for a few minutes. Then, get mean with it where and when needed. Now, when you're done, everything is clean, and dry, then like stated, put a dab of dielectric grease all around the metal parts and, slide that boot back on.
Then, wipe off any grease that got on the outside with some lacquer thinner or Tolulene (paint thinner leaves a residue) and, wrap it with some high quality electrical tape, red of course.

Now, if you're lucky enough to have the correct size shrink tubing available, then that could take the place of the tape if, you can make it work. Good luck and glad again to help. Nothing like not spending money when it's not needed.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I got new cables at Freightliner.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here is a source

Customized Parallel Battery Cables for Freightliner and Mack
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to you all, for your suggestions and links. I wanted to work on this project this weekend, but I was reminded that we are traveling out of town, to attend our grandaughters dance recital. So it will need to wait a few days. I'm going to try Scotts suggestion of cleaning and repair. If the corrosion is too extensive under the outer insulation, then I will be contacting one of the suppliers mentioned, to buy replacements.

Have a good weekend, everyone.
Indian River, De

Tags
battery