Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I took my Itasca Horizon to a local truck tire shop to have the tires balanced. Based on the uneven wear pattern, they decided to move two of the rear tires to the front. They could not remove the center nut on the large rear chrome hub cover. They asked me if my coach came with a tool for the large cover nut. While I made several phone calls to find out how to remove the nut, the service technician continued to seek an appropriate wrench or pliers.

1. I called Winnebago and was told to call Freightliner.

2. I called Freightliner and was put on hold. After 4 or 5 minutes, I hung up.

3. I called Winnebago again and asked how they removed the nut. I was told the Winnebago uses large water pump pliers with rubber cushions to protect the chrome. I asked how it removed and was told that both sides were removed counter-clockwise.

4. The service tech used a large pipe wrench with duct tape on the jaws. He could not remove the nut by turning counter-clockwise.

5. After almost 2 hours of attempting to remove this nut with no success, I called Freightliner again. After a long hold, I finally spoke to a rep who told me there is no special tool for this nut and it has reverse threads on the drivers side.

Bottom line: It cost me 2 hours of shop time to remove this nut = $70 and the nut was destroyed by the pipe wrench. The replacement Freightliner nut cost $32. I called Freightliner again requesting that they pay for the nut since I was unable to contact them. They agreed.

Advice to all: Find a tool to fit this nut in case you ever need to have your rear tires removed. And, remember the driver's side is reverse threads - clockwise to remove.

This nut is 2 7/8 inches from flat to flat and 3 inches to the widest diameter. I plan to try several oil filter wrenches to see if they fit.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I took my Itasca Horizon to a local truck tire shop to have the tires balanced. Based on the uneven wear pattern, they decided to move two of the rear tires to the front. They could not remove the center nut on the large rear chrome hub cover. They asked me if my coach came with a tool for the large cover nut. While I made several phone calls to find out how to remove the nut, the service technician continued to seek an appropriate wrench or pliers.

1. I called Winnebago and was told to call Freightliner.

2. I called Freightliner and was put on hold. After 4 or 5 minutes, I hung up.

3. I called Winnebago again and asked how they removed the nut. I was told the Winnebago uses large water pump pliers with rubber cushions to protect the chrome. I asked how it removed and was told that both sides were removed counter-clockwise.

4. The service tech used a large pipe wrench with duct tape on the jaws. He could not remove the nut by turning counter-clockwise.

5. After almost 2 hours of attempting to remove this nut with no success, I called Freightliner again. After a long hold, I finally spoke to a rep who told me there is no special tool for this nut and it has reverse threads on the drivers side.

Bottom line: It cost me 2 hours of shop time to remove this nut = $70 and the nut was destroyed by the pipe wrench. The replacement Freightliner nut cost $32. I called Freightliner again requesting that they pay for the nut since I was unable to contact them. They agreed.

Advice to all: Find a tool to fit this nut in case you ever need to have your rear tires removed. And, remember the driver's side is reverse threads - clockwise to remove.

This nut is 2 7/8 inches from flat to flat and 3 inches to the widest diameter. I plan to try several oil filter wrenches to see if they fit.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

http://www.discoveryowners.com/donwrench.htm

Here is the one to get.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Clayton,

THANKS! I will order one today.

Rex
Old 11-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

That's really good info to have. Thanks for the input..
Old 11-06-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I just ordered one for myself a few days ago. Glad I haven't had the need to remove them before now!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Been there, done that! When I went to get my new tires, tire shop had some issues. However, they pretty quickly figured out the left side was LH threads and removed the nut without damage...I think they used large channel locks and wrapped the nut with electrical tape.

However, while they pondered, I drove in the toad to a Winne dealership one mile away from the tire shop and everyone there was absolutely clueless about the nut and any special tool. They insisted that you had to 'pry' the nut out of the cap .

Anyway, I ordered Don's handly nylon wrench after that...it works very well.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Had to have my inner dual repaired recently -- driver's side. We quickly discovered that the nut used left hand threads. Used pliers with a cloth over it. Luckily figured this out right away.

I think the tool is a great idea.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Truly amazing, that a nut can cause so many problems particularly one on a hub cap. I too knew of the wrench and that one side was clock wise to remove. The info we pick up from the forum is invaluable...

By the way,,I have had two legged nuts cause me far more problems than the nut on the hup cap.

Good miles and Be Safe
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Liked the comment on the two legged nuts!!!!

1999-2008 traded in Suncruiser 90,000 miles
Jeeperrmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

When I attended "Camp Freightliner" back in April I saw the same wrench in the parts dept at Gaffney. Thought about buying one at that time but passed it up. Maybe I should have bought it then.

Just looked through my notes from the course and an entry says "to remove the rear wheel hub cover remember that the drivers side cover is reverse threaded-Mike Cody".. Think I'll order one with my next parts order.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CWHTRAINS:

Here is the one to get. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This link is not working for me. Am I the only one having this problem or has the link changed?

Thanks,

36' 2003 Winnebago Journey
Dan Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Bowman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CWHTRAINS:

Here is the one to get. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This link is not working for me. Am I the only one having this problem or has the link changed?

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You may have to be a member to get to that link.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Neil,
Thanks. I am sure that is the problem as I am not registered on that site. I went back to the Discovery Forum and looked at the advertisements. I found Don's Hub Wrench with a website, phone number and price. I plan to order the wrench.

Thanks,

Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Doesn,t work for me either.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #16

I didn't find a website for it but here's the ad that I think Dan is referring to:

http://www.discoveryowners.com/classifieds.htm

It's at the very bottom of the page.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LHyzer:
Doesn,t work for me either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just go to http://WWW.Discoveryowners.com and click on Classified Ads on left side of web page. Scrowl down to the end of the page and you will see it advertised as "Don's Hub Nut Wrench". I would post the contact information but suspect that would violate the forum rules.

Dan Bowman

Old 11-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have been able to remove ours for wheel and hubcap cleaning and polishing and the repair of a slow leak in the outside passenger side dual tire with the same strap wrench that I use to service the oil filter, fuel filter and air dryer.
hope this helps, Bob
rvrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
Clayton,

THANKS! I will order one today.

Rex </div></BLOCKQUOTE>(rising voice) See...?That's why you should be a forum geek and read each and every post (yeah right).

A similar thread went through a few weeks ago, and I had a check in the mail the following day. Don's Wrench is milled nylon, fits tight, and pops those nuts off easily.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Here is the info: Looks like Don does not have the web site anymore.

DON'S HUB NUT WRENCH: If you don't want the tire technician who is changing your tire to use pliers and a rag on your chrome decorative retaining nut of your rear duals, get this wrench! It can be used on most coaches on a Freightliner chassis with aluminum wheels and the screw-in decorative nut. It also makes polishing the rims easier with the rear axle can off. Donald Cullins, 9025 Robinhood Cir., Westerville, OH 43082- 9665; [email protected]. Price: $14.95 each plus $3 s/h

I have used this one for the last two years. It also has printed on it which way to turn it based on which side of the vehicle you are working on.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote