RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #1

Black tank flush

Had a check valve replaced at the GNR for my 2014 Adventurer 38Q so I could connect a hose to the flushing line. After we left, I tried it and the problem persisted. Water goes into the connector and stops. No flushing because something is stopping the flow.
Have reviewed all the great plumbing diagrams but they are Greek to me.
Can anyone tell me how I gain access to the check valve? I thought it was under the sink next to the toilet but after taking everything apart, all I can find is a Cash Acme valve.
I am beginning to realize that fora like this and a willingness to do a little discovery learning are my best hope to enjoy our RV.
Any feedback will be much appreciated.

bgbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Black Tank Flush

I'm sorry that I can't help with the location of the one-way valve (vacuum breaker) on your rig, but if you call Winnebago they can tell you. They did for me. In our rig, the valve is above the tank itself behind drawers in the vanity next to the shower. Remove the drawers and there it is.

That being said - for the same problem - I ended up clearing the situation by filling the black tank with water, adding 1 cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid plus a mix of 1/3 borax-1/3 citric acid-1/3 baking soda. I put in about 1/4-1/3 cup of the mixture. Let it sit overnight and then drove around the next day. Hooked up the hose and you could hear the clog slowly sputtering and clearing until there was nice even spraying sounds. Apparently, the sprinkler head (for lack of a better term) can get clogged despite the most rigorous of care and rinsing.

It's worth a shot.....

Towing 2006 Honda CR-V LX
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:15 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
bgbeaver, the black tank rinse vacuum breaker is hidden behind the sink in the bath room. Note to much water pressure will cause the vacuum breaker to close. Try adding a hose valve at inlet connector so you can relegate the water flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 38Q tank rinse.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	258010  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 AM   #4

Wow! Great input, thanks. I am really impressed by the photo. Where in the world did find that?
Old 08-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #5

Anti-siphion vaccum breaker used on black tank flush systems need 40 psi or higher to Lift the disc high enough to close off the open slots to atmosphere at top of device

Water from hose connection goes into BOTTOM of the Valve and out the SIDE of valve to tank nozzle which is just a pipe stub with holes drilled in it

No FLow.......
Valve in backwards

Nozzle clogged

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:50 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
bgbeaver, here is the link to setup the 3D viewer. There is also the Service Parts List which will show you all of the parts used on your coach.
Parts Catalog
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Anti-siphion vaccum breaker used on black tank flush systems need 40 psi or higher to Lift the disc high enough to close off the open slots to atmosphere at top of device

Water from hose connection goes into BOTTOM of the Valve and out the SIDE of valve to tank nozzle which is just a pipe stub with holes drilled in it

No FLow.......
Valve in backwards

Nozzle clogged

40 psi? I've never checked mine, but I would have thought it was much lower psi than that. Well shucky darn, now you have my curiosity up.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
40 psi? I've never checked mine, but I would have thought it was much lower psi than that. Well shucky darn, now you have my curiosity up.

Less then 40 PSI water pressure and disc may niot seal...end result water leak inside RV

greater then 65 psi and water can cause disc to cock....end result water leak inside RV

Best to maintain 50-55PSI for RIG and Flush System
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #9

Do away with it and use one with made out of brass and has double flaps made for a house......
Old 08-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #10

I read that there was a problem with reverse installations with 2014 Winnebago’s. (Mine’s a ‘14). This would apply only if the Winnebago tech reinstalled the same way he found it.
I’m under the impression there are three sprayheads. Your implication is only one head. Feedback?
Great diagrams and excellent feedback. Thanks. I have a feeling I need to get behind the under sink area and just remove the thing. It is over two feet vertically for the black water to climb to the junction. Plus, it’s a 75 gal tank that i’ve never seen above 1/3 full. Can’t imagine what would create enough of a vacuum to pull waste water to such an extreme. Feedback?
I am retired with little practical hands on time with plumbing, 110 & 12v electricity, etc. I’m interested to learn as I go and have discovered YouTube as an excellent resource for generic circumstance but not item/brand specific problem solving. My requests for feedback will help me learn more .

Thanks,
Bob Beaver
bgbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #11

That's why I removed mine, and 12' of hose no longer required....I came right off the outside hose connector inside the wall....
Old 08-26-2019, 07:27 PM   #12

I gotta tell you all, the black tank flush sure works in my Discovery. I can't see the tank bottom from the toilet due to several pipe bends so after I flushed it out, I used my new endoscope and shot some pictures of the inside the black tank. One picture is looking forward and the other is looking back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank (1).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	258093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Tank (4).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	258094  

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
bgbeaver, the black tank rinse vacuum breaker is hidden behind the sink in the bath room. Note to much water pressure will cause the vacuum breaker to close. Try adding a hose valve at inlet connector so you can relegate the water flow.

Is your diagram from the shower half or the toilet half?
Old 08-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Note there's a check valve between the vacuum breaker and the line going back down to the black tank...was that replaced? If so, Maybe they put it in backwards thus no flow from flush inlet connector in wet bay to black tank..?

Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank