Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

The pics from Oemtech are what I use. The hook and eye are a Zip Dee product to be used with any awning with a metal cover. Simple to install only mine doesn't have the square tubing spacer under it. Wish I had thought of that when I installed mine. As per Zip Dee this lock needs to be installed about a foot forward of the rear arm.
On the slideout awnings, one of mine started unrolling recently even with the arms locked. Carefree Omega. What happened is the tension spring came apart. Used bungee cords from the external locks to the bottom of the arms. Our 8yr old coach with Carefree has had 3 springs break this summer, each end of the patio and the slidetopper. All three have been repaired and have a spare spring for the front slide, just a matter of time.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I installed the awning clamp last year and feel that it works great.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

I made an awning saver like the one shown on the above link several years ago after sailing an awning in Montana. Very simple to make out of a steel rod same diamater as awning tool. I think it is 3/16, but measure to be sure. Works fine and I think I invested about $5 in it.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:38 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

RAINBOW: I can completely concur with your awning saver. I made one about 8 years ago after losing an awning to heavy winds. I do not have the crook in mine, I use a coiled spring to the awning foot, but actually no different. I haven't had a problem with awnings since. So simple and yet so effective.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

I had my awning blow out and tear while in a campsite with the awning stowed inproperly (my maiden voyage) while we had left for a concert. Neighbor saw it happen when a squall line went through and he caught it before it shredded totally. Still too late and had to replace the whole unit. Thank goodness for insurance. I hadn't flipped the wing locks properly and now I also know to lift up on the arms as my last step when stowing to activate the latches and hear them click into place. And after reading all of these horror stories, I am going to add a lock device. I have a A&E 9000.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote